The Student Room Group

Taking a career break

Do you think it would reflect badly on someone if they took a gap year after they've graduated and began work?

I've been working for the past year and a half since graduation, and I'm studying part-time as well. I've also been trying to find a new job at the same time, which has resulted in me working all day and night every day. My current job has got to the point where I'm ready to leave - there is nothing really for me to do, so I'm not learning anything anymore and there are no opportunities for promotion, or even to move sideways into a different role to get some new experiences. It's got to the point now where I just dread going in. I'd really like to be able to dedicate more time to the job hunt, my studies, and I'd like to retake my A levels as well (I know it seems strange so long after, but I couldn't take them properly first time round and it's something that keeps cropping up.

On top of all this I'd really like to travel whilst I still have the chance, so I was thinking of spending 6 months doing full-time study, and then spending a few months travelling. Do you think this would reflect badly on me?

Latest

Trending

Trending