The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Ultimate St Andrews Accommodation Thread (2007-2011)

Lots of people seem to have lots of questions about the accommodation here, so I feel a big thread devoted to the topic is in order.

I'll try to get as much useful info in this post by perpetual editing. I don't study or live in St Andrews any more, so if you know of any changes, please let me know and I'll update the information in this post. Some things I link to may not be completely up-to-date; if you see anything in particular than contradicts current information then please let me know and I'll mention it alongside the link.

Firstly...

What is provided?

Accommodation in first year

Information on the different halls of residence, and costs

How to know what room you have been assigned

Problems with room allocations

Postgraduate residences

Mini-guides to residences

Living in town

(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Maybe we could each do a mini-guide to our halls?
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
I think someone once asked if flats/houses are same sex, (which they are in first year). I want to suggest putting something about living in private accommodation, but I know nothing about that and I'm not sure we have anyone on here that lives in town...or do we?

And there's the perpetual argument: catered or self-catered (self-catered obviously :biggrin:)
I like the mini-guide idea; I was kind of thinking of collecting quotes about the different halls and compiling them to give a variety of perspectives. If people want to post a bit about their halls, then I can quote them in the original post to make it more accessible [i.e. so people don't have to filter through the whole thread to find stuff].
Yeah... I'll probably do a section with a series of comments for each hall - and I'll say who said what, obviously - possibly with a reference of post number in the thread?

I'll also make e.g. catered vs. self-catered bits, and quote people in those as well, I think. Self-catered ftw though:biggrin:

Also, I know very little about staying in town. I'll probably be investigating that this year - oh heck - so will be able to comment on that in a few months. Anyone who knows anything about this... shout out asap =)
You're very organised ninja!
Reply 5
Here’s my wee bit on Andrew Melville Hall

Location: 15/20 minute walk from town. Is right next to New Hall and the biomedical sciences/chemistry/Gateway buildings. Near to a beach, the fitness centre and the Links golf course.

Aesthetics and accommodation: Okay, it looks bloody ugly from the outside (pre-fab, supposed to look like ‘sinking ships’), and bit Spartan on the inside. When in your room though, it’s spacious and rather nice looking. Contains desk, bedside table, sink and bookshelves. Oh yeah, and a bed obviously! I recommend bringing a new duvet so you are nice and warm in the winter months though. Internet and incoming calls on your room phone are free, but outgoing calls on your room phone are not.

There are three common rooms Lower common room (Piano, TV and DVD player), Middle common room (TV, DVD player, free view, snooker, vending machines and table tennis) and the upper common room (used only after formal dinner (high table) with the warden)

There are 250 residents in the hall accommodation is split up into 5 blocks of 50. Any given year, two blocks are all female, two are all male and one is mixed. There is a laundry room in block B with 5 washers and 5 driers never really too crowded in there, despite what you’d think.

Outside the building there are many rabbits. Many many rabbits. Although soon this may change, as a good percentage of them have myxomatosis…

Rooms get cleaned once a week, toilets/showers/baths once a day and your bins get emptied 3 times a week.

Food: It’s all catered. Food is good, if not incredibly varied. Two options, plus a veggie option available at lunch and dinner plus soup/starter and dessert/fruit also as much juice as you can drink. Breakfast is the standard fare cereal, cooked breakfast, toast, fruit, yoghurt, porridge and sometime croissants/pancakes. Plus fruit juices and free hot drinks. You get breakfast/lunch/dinner mon-fri and breakfast and lunch on the weekend.

Kitchens are available for the weekends with lockers to store your utensils in and 2 fridges and a freezer for your goodies. Gets a bit crowded, but does the job.

All in all, living in AMH has been great everyone is friendly and you’ll quickly find friends who you’ll get on with. Nice atmosphere, beautiful surroundings and, honestly, the look of the building grows on you over time...

And it's not sinking into the ground, honest...:ninja:
:eek: That's amazing! thankyou :smile:
Reply 7
Knocked it up in five minutes. Bit ****e really, but gives people an idea, eh?
I'll do one for new hall!

I hope you don't mind me using your little headings...

Location Right in front of Andrew Melville. For about four weeks i never knew Andrew Melville was behind us.... Anyway, Andrew Melville is a sinking/crashing ship, and New Hall is the Swedish prison. Easily recognisable by the sniper turrets.

Aesthetics and accommodation New hall is pretty big. We have one entrance, which has security at night and a reception. There is also a coffee shop/Tv room (DVD and Sky) which you can enter any time during the day but food and drinks are only served until about four in the afternoon. There are four flours, and it's a little confusing in your first week trying to find your way around. We have a computer room opposite the lift on the second floor which doubles as a study and two more studies on the third and forth floor. In the foyer, there is a huge dining hall, a games room with a pool table and such, a music room with a piano and a laundry room. Each corridor has at least one kitchen set to serve about 6-12 people. Some of the kitchens are really basic, with one fridge, one cooker, sink and such while other kitchens on halls that may be for self catered have two freezers, fridges, cookers, and cooking utensils and such. They're called diners. There are about 500 rooms, 25 shared rooms and mixed and same sex corridors.

We also have rabbits (and ducks), but i'm very sad to hear they may be no more!

All rooms are en suite, with a shower, sink and toilet and are cleaned once a week. Linen can be changed every two weeks.

The rooms have a cupboard, desk, TV and double bed, along with your side cabinets and drawers and such. The hall is suitable for wheelchair users also.

Food There is the option to be catered, or you can be self catered, the self catered diners come with lockers to hold your stuff if you don't trust your corridor mates. Food is... Interesting. There is a wanna be chef sitting in the back with a spatula trying to make food pretty... and interesting. He succeeds! There's always something on the menu that you can eat though, and the pudding's are top notch. There's always plenty also, so no worries about coming a little late and not getting any food (and then there's always seconds).

New hall is fun and friendly. The place is huge, and we have a fantastic RA team that makes sure you find friends early on and hold many events.
I can add a bit for sallies (though i'll probably forget a lot so please add more!)

Location: Practically in the centre of town, closest hall to a lot of the arts buildings. Not quite so good if you're doing sciences, but it's a short walk home if you've been out at night. We back on to the scores, and some of the rooms have amazing sea views. Downsides, can be a bit chilly! Right next door to Younger hall (the music centre etc...), and about a minute from the library.

Accommodation: OK, so I'm biased but sallies is one of the 'prettier' halls (ie. one of the older ones). Within the main building, there are three floors of rooms (A,B and C floor) with a couple of rooms on the ground floor. There's also D block, which I don't know very much about apart from they seem to put returning students there.

If you're a first year, chances are you're going to have to share a room at sallies. Room sizes do vary, from slightly snug to very spacious. As a warning, some of the internet connection points are in really strange places (behind a bed on the opposite side of the room from the desk) so a reaally long cable might be required. Bins get emptied and sinks cleaned in the rooms, and the bathrooms get cleaned every day (not at weekends). Rooms get hoovered once a week.

Other facilities at sallies include the basement (laundry room, table tennis and huge snooker? table), big common room (reasonably comfortable chairs, free papers, drinks machine, tv and grand piano), study room (v. quiet), small library and computor room (handy for 3am printing!).

Bathrooms are, suprisingly, almost always quiet. there's one toilet between about 2 and one shower between about 3 on our end of the corridoor. There's even a bath tub lurking around somewhere!

Food: Sallies is fully catered (19 meals a week), but we don't get dinner on saturday or sunday. The food does vary (big emphasis on potatoes), but there's always a veggie option and some sort of salad available. I can't really comment on breakfast, apart from it's too early!

There are 2 (I think) kitchens on each floor for midnight snacks and cooking at the weekends. They are small, but have a fridge, microwave, toaster,cooker, hot water urn etc. However I wouldn't advise leaving pots and pans in there as they may walk.

Atmosphere: First of all, we're not as posh as our reputation! It's really easy to find friends here, especially during meals. Apart from that, coffee and cake on a sunday afternoon with the warden is not to be missed!
WhiteSugarMouse
I can add a bit for sallies (though i'll probably forget a lot so please add more!)

Location: Practically in the centre of town, closest hall to a lot of the arts buildings. Not quite so good if you're doing sciences, but it's a short walk home if you've been out at night. We back on to the scores, and some of the rooms have amazing sea views. Downsides, can be a bit chilly! Right next door to Younger hall (the music centre etc...), and about a minute from the library.

Accommodation: OK, so I'm biased but sallies is one of the 'prettier' halls (ie. one of the older ones). Within the main building, there are three floors of rooms (A,B and C floor) with a couple of rooms on the ground floor. There's also D block, which I don't know very much about apart from they seem to put returning students there.

If you're a first year, chances are you're going to have to share a room at sallies. Room sizes do vary, from slightly snug to very spacious. As a warning, some of the internet connection points are in really strange places (behind a bed on the opposite side of the room from the desk) so a reaally long cable might be required. Bins get emptied and sinks cleaned in the rooms, and the bathrooms get cleaned every day (not at weekends). Rooms get hoovered once a week.

Other facilities at sallies include the basement (laundry room, table tennis and huge snooker? table), big common room (reasonably comfortable chairs, free papers, drinks machine, tv and grand piano), study room (v. quiet), small library and computor room (handy for 3am printing!).

Bathrooms are, suprisingly, almost always quiet. there's one toilet between about 2 and one shower between about 3 on our end of the corridoor. There's even a bath tub lurking around somewhere!

Food: Sallies is fully catered (19 meals a week), but we don't get dinner on saturday or sunday. The food does vary (big emphasis on potatoes), but there's always a veggie option and some sort of salad available. I can't really comment on breakfast, apart from it's too early!

There are 2 (I think) kitchens on each floor for midnight snacks and cooking at the weekends. They are small, but have a fridge, microwave, toaster,cooker, hot water urn etc. However I wouldn't advise leaving pots and pans in there as they may walk.

Atmosphere: First of all, we're not as posh as our reputation! It's really easy to find friends here, especially during meals. Apart from that, coffee and cake on a sunday afternoon with the warden is not to be missed!

If I get into St Andrews, St Salvators would be my dream choice of accomodation. That or St Regs.
fredscarecrow
If I get into St Andrews, St Salvators would be my dream choice of accomodation. That or St Regs.

Good choice! My tip for the accommodation application form is to put at the bottom a little "If it is at all possible to apply for specific halls, my preferences would be......Thank you!" I did that and it worked!
Ill add DRA when Im sober, but right now Im far from it! bloody England!
The headings are great as well - I'd encourage people to categorise things like that to make it more user-friendly, but you don't have to if you don't want to.
Reply 14
tht info bout the halls is really useful thnx! do many ppl share in first year? :biggrin:
A significant fraction of people have a shared room in first year, but I don't know exactly how many it is. If you look at the information on the different residences, it should tell you how many single/shared rooms there are, although there will be lots of returning students with single rooms to consider.

When I have time and a calculator, I can have a look at what percentage of people in halls are first years, and what percentage of them must be in shared rooms. But if no-one cares about that, then I won't spend ages doing it :smile:
Reply 16
I'm working on a bit for McIntosh... inbetween essays and translations and general nervous breakdown. It'll be here soon. x
That'd be great - but don't stress over it!

Good luck with the nervous breakdown. I'm running mine in parallel with a general health failure caused by sleep deprivation. It's got the the stage where I'm comtemplating coffee. =/
Reply 18
there's some useful information on the sinner website about accommodation. though i expect everyone knows this already...
Oh I love this thread! The information was really helpful - I read everything in the first post! But yes um I still have a question!
As I simply adore old architecture I really want to stay in one of the old halls - so im thinking st Regs, St Sallies or university Hall. How close are these to the centre of town and how close are they to the economics departments? Also is not having an en suite room as painful as it sounds? Thank you anyone who helps! :smile: