The Student Room Group
I remember watching a Top Gear episode in Iceland once, it looked pretty cool lol, not sure how that helps though :P
I hope you're not overly fond of the sun. Or if you're there for the summer, I hope you're not adverse to the sun. Every Icelander I've met has been really nice. I dunno about the country, though. Do you speak Icelandish?
Reply 3
Phoenix Wright
I hope you're not overly fond of the sun. Or if you're there for the summer, I hope you're not adverse to the sun. Every Icelander I've met has been really nice. I dunno about the country, though. Do you speak Icelandish?

Don't most universities outside the English language world lecture in English anyway, meaning that it's not really an issue, you can study pretty much anywhere?
Reply 4
Well no, only some universities in the non-english world lecture in english, and only some specific courses for international students. Not everybody studies in english you know...
Oh and by the way, as far as I know the language is called Icelandic, not "Icelandish".
Don't know anything about the university, but know a bit about Iceland. Don't get into the frame of mind that you are going to another country eg loads and loads of exciting places to go, things to see etc. Think of it more as going to one, relatively small town. Unless you are into geological formations, geysirs, volcanoes etc, then everything happens in Reykjavik which in our terms is a very small place. Icelanders are generally friendly, very, very keen on partying, there are quite a good selection of clubs/bars/music etc in Reykjavik. They are also very into art, so plenty of galleries.

Prices are another matter - think of the highest British Rail/Central London price for something, then double it - you you can easily pay a fiver for a sandwich or a coffee.

What you will get weather-wise depends on when you are going, freezing winter of blazing sunshine, but it is one of those places that usually has all four seasons in one day.

Icelandic is a fearsomely complicated language to learn because they decline everything, even 'the', so I'd stick with just picking up a few words for politeness. Most Icelanders speak beautiful English anyway.
Reply 6
SillyNess
Don't most universities outside the English language world lecture in English anyway, meaning that it's not really an issue, you can study pretty much anywhere?

Nope. I looked into studying at a French university for postgrad, and even in Paris you have to take quite a high-level French test before they'll even consider taking you.
Having said that, though, in somewhere like Iceland the teaching probably will be done in English, or at least a 50/50 split. It does say on their website that most faculties and departments give courses in English: http://www2.hi.is/page/education
Reply 7
Angelil
Nope. I looked into studying at a French university for postgrad, and even in Paris you have to take quite a high-level French test before they'll even consider taking you.
Having said that, though, in somewhere like Iceland the teaching probably will be done in English, or at least a 50/50 split. It does say on their website that most faculties and departments give courses in English: http://www2.hi.is/page/education

Wow, OK. It was a student from a French university who is here for one semester who told me that his lectures are in English. Could be just his course/uni though.
Reply 8
Could be :smile:
charleym
Hi,

I'm applying to study for one term at the university of iceland next year, and wondered if anyone else had done this? I'm just wondering what to expect really, in terms of...everything. Or anyone just been to iceland in general and can reassure me it's not awful there?

Hi Charleym, There's a guy on TSR called Hylean who goes to UCL and is on his year abroad at University of Iceland this year. PM him.
Reply 10
Thanks for all your replies, I'm not worried about the language, my course is taught in english and i'm trusting people are right when they say everyone speaks english there cos I'm one of those people who can't learn foreign languages to save my life!

And I'll contact that guy that the post above me mentions, thanks.

Oh, and i'm going august til december, so as to the weather, i'm expecting to freeze
Reply 11
The University in itself looks amazing, but I'm not very sure about the academic side. However, in terms of the country you've chosen a winner. Iceland is first and foremost an extremely BEAUTIFUL country. You'll have plenty to do if you're an outdoor person. However, when it comes to the people they are very reserved. It will take time for you to get accepted as they are a very isolated country. Nevertheless, not all the people are like that. It's just the impression I got when I went there.
Reply 12
I envy you. I think this would be an amazing experience.
Reply 13
Phoenix Wright

I'm pretty sure it's Icelandic.
It is Icelandic.

Latest

Trending

Trending