The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
i watched the history boys
LOL.

That film rules.

I'm watching again tonight.
Reply 42
Haha, funny because it has absolutely nothing to do with the actual process of applying to do History at Cambridge and couldn't teach you anything useful these days.
Is there no 'auto accept' if an applicant says Hitler was a sweetheart in their interview?
The weekend before my test on Monday and interview I re-read the main book on my personal statement...didn't have time to re-read the rest so looked at chapter summaries on A-level sites instead (ssh). Re-reading the main book was so useful as they asked me what book I wanted to focus on, so said that one, and they asked very specific questions about specific chapters. After discussing that book, we didn't discuss any of the others on my PS so was glad I hadn't wasted time re-reading those. In the month leading up to my interview I read a couple of introductory books as well...my teacher lent me a big book of philosophy which had lots of definitions in so I learnt some definitions that I thought might come up in the test. They didn't.

The night before my interview I read The Times, as my mock interviewer quizzed me on a lot of stuff going on in the news. I was pretty sure I wouldn't need to, as I only had one interview so assumed they would want to spend the whole time talking about academic things (they did), but didn't want to risk looking like a fool if they asked me about what I thought was happening in X. That was a bit of a waste of time, but if you're a bit out of touch as I am (I'm actually pretty good in comparison to my family, who only ever read the Daily Star and Heat, but was worried the other applicants would be amazing) it's probably worth doing just in case.
Haha, funny because it has absolutely nothing to do with the actual process of applying to do History at Cambridge and couldn't teach you anything useful these days.

Now THAT my friends is a doggedly realist approach to comedy.

:biggrin:

'Tis a shame my approach to this whole Cambridge interview shindiggery nonsense hasn't been realist.

I'm floating around in splendicious denial by listening to 'the universal' by blur then 'angus dei' from Faure's requiem again and again and again until I get into a psychedelic stupor.
i sometimes listen to The Universal when Im walking and pretend England have won the world cup.

is that wrong?????
Just downloaded it after being reccomended by you guys.

How can you listen to such ****e?

Bloc Party-Flux FTW.
Reply 49
Try Bach's Goldberg Variations :smile:

Now that's music.
Reply 50
i did ONE MILLION PRESS-UPS before my interview.
Reply 51
Huh. I only did 500,000. But I still got in :biggrin: I win.
I did press-ups IN my interview actually with BOTH interviewers sitting on my back.
Reply 53
you win :frown:
Reply 54
I've stopped preparing now. I'm officially saturated. I'm going to read the paper to keep my cognitive abilities going. And flick through some books at the weekend. Then take the plunge on Monday and just see what happens. I am determined to be chilled out about this.

Argh.
Welp, interviews are tomorrow. I've:

Done nothing.

Well, that's not true - I've made sure I can answer questions on my PS. But that is pretty much it. Feeling slightly worried that people are saying they've been doing lots of prep. Ah well.
Any mega-last minute tips for interview tomorrow? (Apart from don't cry in the interview or panic! :eek: )
Totally Tom
Just downloaded it after being reccomended by you guys.

How can you listen to such ****e?

Bloc Party-Flux FTW.

Like this! *Plugs in iPod and listens to a loada ****e*

I find bloc party dreary; one can only take so much.

The Good Shephard- that is absolutely fine :biggrin:
When I listen to Beethoven's ninth I pretend Im in a clockwork orange.

Last minute tip? Just be yourself.
Don't spend all your time preparing to answer questions about the essays you may have sent in - I did and they weren't even mentioned.
Excalibur - remember that they're looking for a good, consistent, all-round safe bet. No one brilliant response is going to get you in; being thoughtful, confident and considered may well.

good luck. :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending