The Student Room Group

Mechanics question

Now that the deadline has passed, I'd be interested in finding how to get the solution for this problem; as I'm yet to find any sane person that knows how to solve it successfully.

A wedge with mass M rests on a frictionless horizontal table top. A block with mass m is placed on the wedge (part (a) of the figure). There is no friction between the block and the wedge. The system is released from rest.

A. Calculate the acceleration of the wedge.
B. Calculate the horizontal component of the acceleration of the block.
C. Calculate the vertical component of the acceleration of the block.
D. Do your answers to part A reduce to the correct result when M is very large?
E. Now, an additional horizontal force F is being applied as shown in part (b) of the figure.
What must be the magnitude of F if the block is to remain at a constant height above the tabletop?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Did you have no luck on Rudolf's forum?

I think the attachment is correct.
Reply 2
For part A, I (and my tutor) got -gm(cos a)(sin a)/M

However, I also was made aware of the correct answers; and they aren't the same as any of yours (or mine :frown:).
Reply 3
Rudo says that the solutions to this problem sheet will be available next week, after your examples class.

My Mechanics is extremely rusty (this is the first problem I've done for the course), but I don't understand how you could get an answer involving mm for the first part, as the only force acting on the block is gravity and the strength of the gravitational force is independent of the mass of the object upon which it is acting.
Reply 4
Scrap that acually, I'll give it a bash see where I end up.
Reply 5
The first question asks for the acceleration of the wedge. so the force acting on it is a function of the mass of the block; but the acceleration it imparts on the wedge will also be a function of the mass of the wedge.
Reply 6
estel
The first question asks for the acceleration of the wedge. so the force acting on it is a function of the mass of the block; but the acceleration it imparts on the wedge will also be a function of the mass of the wedge.
I have completely misread the question; many apologies for that.
Diagram?
Reply 8
*scrounges around*
Lusus Naturae
Rudo says that the solutions to this problem sheet will be available next week, after your examples class.

My Mechanics is extremely rusty (this is the first problem I've done for the course), but I don't understand how you could get an answer involving mm for the first part, as the only force acting on the block is gravity and the strength of the gravitational force is independent of the mass of the object upon which it is acting.

Start with if the wedge is fixed, it may help with the understanding part.
Doing this by newtonian mechanics is going to eb hard work, your best of using a lagrangian formalism. But I'd say use a lagrangian formalism for any such problem, less room for error.
Heres my answer for Q1:

x¨1=x¨2+gsinθcosθ=m2m1+m2cosθx¨2 \ddot{x}_1 = \frac{\ddot{x}_2 + g \sin \theta}{\cos \theta} = \frac{m_2}{m_1 + m_2} \cos \theta \ddot{x}_2

x¨1 \ddot{x}_1 ~ Acceleration of Wedge
x¨2 \ddot{x}_2 ~ Acceleration of block on Wedge
m1,m2 m_1 , m_2 ~ masses of wedge, block

Solving for the acceleration of the block gives:

x¨2=gsinθμ(cosθ)21 \ddot{x}_2 = \frac{g \sin \theta}{\mu (\cos \theta)^2 - 1}

where: μ=m2m1+m2 \mu = \frac{m_2}{m_1 + m_2}

Acceleration of the wedge: x¨1=μcosθgsinθμ(cosθ)21 \ddot{x}_1 = \mu \cos \theta \frac{g \sin \theta}{\mu (\cos \theta)^2 - 1}

Rearranging gives: x¨1=m2g(m1+m2)tanθ+m1tanθ \ddot{x}_1 = \frac{m_2 g}{(m_1 + m_2) \tan \theta + \frac{m_1}{\tan \theta}}

BTW: Do you know the answers to these questions?

All of this above is starting from the Lagrangian of:

L=12m1x˙12+12m2(x˙22+x˙122x˙1x˙2cosθ)m2gx2sinθ L = \frac{1}{2} m_1 \dot{x}_1^2 + \frac{1}{2} m_2 ( \dot{x}_2^2 + \dot{x}_1^2 - 2 \dot{x}_1 \dot{x}_2 \cos \theta ) - m_2 g x_2 \sin \theta
Reply 12
Yes, I do know the answers, but I can't find a rearrangement from that one to the answer that I have. The answer is not given in terms of x''_2.
Reply 13
0 div curl F

BTW: Do you know the answers to these questions?
The answer to (E) is (M+m)gtana(M+m)g \tan a
estel
Yes, I do know the answers, but I can't find a rearrangement from that one to the answer that I have. The answer is not given in terms of x''_2.

x" means acceleration, it should be replaced with a1 and a2.
estel

Ignoring differences in notation, are the answers in my post anywhere near the solutions you have?
Reply 16
Closish, but not exactly.

Spoiler

estel
Closish, but not exactly.

Spoiler

This is infact the same as my answer, just a fair bit of manipulation and trig identities, just been through it on paper, will double check it in 5 mins

Yep, just checked my solution and it is identical to your solution, just in a different form (I think my form is neater and easily releases its information but thats the way the lagrangian works out)
Reply 18
Grr, I'm checking it numerically and getting different results for the two -.-

Edit: Scrap that, looks like I was probably reading from the wrong line
estel
Grr, I'm checking it numerically and getting different results for the two -.-

Edit: Scrap that, looks like I was probably reading from the wrong line

Yeah, I just added the wedge acceleration explicitly, previously I just had the block acceleration and then the wedge acceleration in terms of that.

Does the numerical method now produce the same results for the two equations?

Latest