The Student Room Group

Which alevels should i take

Hi i am thinking of doing law at uni and i am not sure about wat a levels to take i am going to definately take history and theatre studies and i am thinking of phycology but i dont know what to do for my fourth i am thinking of either english lang or biology please help or advise a diferent subject.

love becky -x-x-

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
becky191
Hi i am thinking of doing law at uni and i am not sure about wat a levels to take i am going to definately take history and theatre studies and i am thinking of phycology but i dont know what to do for my fourth i am thinking of either english lang or biology please help or advise a diferent subject.

love becky -x-x-

Becky....my advice is...don't worry about what unis want...just do subjects you'll enjoy studying. If you do subjects you don't like, you're more likely to not do well...whereas doing subjects you like, you feel motivated to do them..and should subsequently do well in them and get good grades.

I did bio, maths and physics at a level with a chem AS...nothing law related at all!! And i managed to get into my first choice for law!! So it shows they don't really mind what a levels you do.

G
Reply 2
becky191

love becky -x-x-

english is a subject of research and essay writing, which is great for law. but ur already covering that aspect by taking history. so i would advice u to take biology as uni's like strong science subjects to show u can handle a tuff course like law. i would also STRONGLY advise u to do chemistry instead of phycology because it will help u get onto a good course.
so do chem, bio, history and theatre studies. then drop theatre studies after a year and carry on the rest. that would be the best combo. all the sciences and history prove how clever u r and the theatre thing can prove ur creative and expressive and all that.
Reply 3
I did bio, maths and physics at a level with a chem AS...nothing law related at all!! And i managed to get into my first choice for law!! So it shows they don't really mind what a levels you do.

G

its great u enjoyed ur subjects but u also did very hard ones, three sciences and a maths. thats y u got ur first choice, not becoz u were a happy bunny.
Reply 4
urbane
its great u enjoyed ur subjects but u also did very hard ones, three sciences and a maths. thats y u got ur first choice, not becoz u were a happy bunny.

I know it wasn't just cos i was happy, but if she chooses subjects she thinks will be looked upon favourably, and ends up hating them and not doing so well in exams...then no uni would favour giving her an offer above someone who has less 'respected' a levels....but got straight As in them

G
I would say Politics History or Englsih lit. would be good choices don't have to take all of them but at least one essay writing subject would be advisable.
Reply 6
Cellardore
I would say Politics History or Englsih lit. would be good choices don't have to take all of them but at least one essay writing subject would be advisable.

SHe's already chosen history she said i think...maybe a science...in which case biology. Gives a nice spread of subjects...but like i said earlier..if you hate bio, then don't do it.

G
gzftan
SHe's already chosen history she said i think...maybe a science...in which case biology. Gives a nice spread of subjects...but like i said earlier..if you hate bio, then don't do it.

G

fair enough! then it doesn't matter what you take after that if you're doing history:smile:
Reply 8
Cellardore
fair enough! then it doesn't matter what you take after that if you're doing history:smile:

Hehe..history is the subject then???

I agree though...history is a good subject to have...except i didn't like the look of the course for a level...otherwise i would've chosen it too!

G
gzftan
Hehe..history is the subject then???

I agree though...history is a good subject to have...except i didn't like the look of the course for a level...otherwise i would've chosen it too!

G

i did it at AS but didn't get a good grade for it, only a C :frown: which was strange as i didn't think i deserved that as i honestly thought i had performed well in the exam. So i'm asking for a copy of my script back and if i agree that it's crap, fair enough! :tongue:
Reply 10
Cellardore
i did it at AS but didn't get a good grade for it, only a C :frown: which was strange as i didn't think i deserved that as i honestly thought i had performed well in the exam. So i'm asking for a copy of my script back and if i agree that it's crap, fair enough! :tongue:

Good idea...i know someone in the same predicament as you....got a remark..ended up with an A!!! You gonna show it to your teacher??

G
gzftan
Good idea...i know someone in the same predicament as you....got a remark..ended up with an A!!! You gonna show it to your teacher??

G

yep! What's even worse is that the lowest mark was in European history, which i'm best at:confused: All exams we had done i had got A's and B's for it and this exam was no different, well at least i don't think it was:rolleyes: I'm going to show it too my teachers anyway, but i'll be a bit embarrassed if it was actually crap, lol.
p.s i got a D(just) it was the coursework that brought it up:tongue: which was an exam in itself anyway:redface:
Reply 12
Cellardore
yep! What's even worse is that the lowest mark was in European history, which i'm best at:confused: All exams we had done i had got A's and B's for it and this exam was no different, well at least i don't think it was:rolleyes: I'm going to show it too my teachers anyway, but i'll be a bit embarrassed if it was actually crap, lol.
p.s i got a D(just) it was the coursework that brought it up:tongue: which was an exam in itself anyway:redface:

Ah..there's always mistakes in marking..don't worry...i'm sure your grade will get bumped up, especially if you've done so well in tests previously. It's baffling how much marking can differ isn't it!!

G
gzftan
Ah..there's always mistakes in marking..don't worry...i'm sure your grade will get bumped up, especially if you've done so well in tests previously. It's baffling how much marking can differ isn't it!!

G

yeah it does! Marking in history's strange. i.e. from a D to a B there usually is only about 5 mark difference:confused:
Reply 14
Cellardore
yeah it does! Marking in history's strange. i.e. from a D to a B there usually is only about 5 mark difference:confused:

Silly isn't it!!! Also...depends whether or not the marker likes your style of writing or not....if he/she happens to dislike it...you're fecked! Another marker might give you top marks!

G
gzftan
Silly isn't it!!! Also...depends whether or not the marker likes your style of writing or not....if he/she happens to dislike it...you're fecked! Another marker might give you top marks!

G

my Eurpean history teacher is an examiner team leader and she said that when she marks others she gives them the benefit of the doubt, if she's see where they're going with a point and will give them credit for it. She did warn us about getting tough examiners.
Reply 16
Cellardore
my Eurpean history teacher is an examiner team leader and she said that when she marks others she gives them the benefit of the doubt, if she's see where they're going with a point and will give them credit for it. She did warn us about getting tough examiners.

Yeah..other examiners might not be so nice. Some of them are grumpy old beggars i expect....trying to earn a bit of money to top up their pension or something...and subsequently..if they don't like your handwriting....oh dear!

G
gzftan
Yeah..other examiners might not be so nice. Some of them are grumpy old beggars i expect....trying to earn a bit of money to top up their pension or something...and subsequently..if they don't like your handwriting....oh dear!

G

oh well i'm going to get it back anyway and have a look at it myself. Another funny thing is that on my Britsh history paper the first half was exactly the same as a test i had got a couple of weeks back on world war one (which i had got 3 marks off an A for) yet in the real thing i only got a D:confused: and i knew exactly what i was talking about!
Reply 18
Cellardore
oh well i'm going to get it back anyway and have a look at it myself. Another funny thing is that on my Britsh history paper the first half was exactly the same as a test i had got a couple of weeks back on world war one (which i had got 3 marks off an A for) yet in the real thing i only got a D:confused: and i knew exactly what i was talking about!

Crazy stuff!! I'm so glad a levels are over for me..no more worrying about edexcel marking!! :tongue:

G
gzftan
Crazy stuff!! I'm so glad a levels are over for me..no more worrying about edexcel marking!! :tongue:

G

I had AQA. The same people who marked my R.E at GCSE! Strange thing happened then.I had always got at least 95% and above in exams for R.E and once was 1 mark off 100%. In my coursework i had got an A and A* yet i only came out with a B in the actualy exam:confused: (in the mock i had got an A) which means i would have probably got a C in the exam. I didn't ask for the script back, but could i still do that or is it too late?

Latest

Trending

Trending