The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
La Trampa
seee brimmy, nottingham is absolutely the first place you should come to! :wink:

Tis looking like it :biggrin:

And the fact that Stu has an offer helps :biggrin:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
really?! oh wow! how perfect is that! :five:
Reply 22
The worst thing is the amount of spoilt little bratts that come here. Its absolutely full of toffs, particularly if you live on campus in halls like Cripps/HuStu/Ancaster.

Other than that its pretty much perfect. Oh, and one other thing, the price of on campus accomodation is nothing short of sickening, £130 a week for halls(whether its catered or not) is a disgrace. Something needs to be done about that.
33% (one in three) of UGs who go to Notts went to Public School. I wonder what the Grammar School intake is. hmm
Reply 24
33% is the average, in catered halls on campus its much more concentrated. I'd say probably 5/10 of the people I've met are from public school, 3/10 grammar school, and the remaining 2/10 regular comps.
Barny
The worst thing is the amount of spoilt little bratts that come here. Its absolutely full of toffs, particularly if you live on campus in halls like Cripps/HuStu/Ancaster.

So many people complain about this, I find it so funny having attend St Andrews. I've only met a handful of true toffs in nottingham, the place is just full of wannabes - which is even worse.
ChemistBoy
So many people complain about this, I find it so funny having attend St Andrews. I've only met a handful of true toffs in nottingham, the place is just full of wannabes - which is even worse.

if you were a pleb who had attended an inner city comp you'd complain too

edit: why would anyone want to be a toff. sad people
hermaphrodite
if you were a pleb who had attended an inner city comp you'd complain too

Well, I was friends with a few 'plebs' myself at St Andrews, they didn't seem to mind the real toffs, and neither did I.
Reply 28
blone_bomb
The people who dress up to go to the hallward library...

Hahaha...I know what you mean, I get to short loan at half nine, scruffy and sweaty having thrown on the clothes that were on my floor & biked down. Not nice to see that most of the girls are smarter than I look on a night out and are wearing foundation for Christ's sake!

I'd say the cost of halls is pretty appalling, I just have to try not to think about how much I spent on that.

I get a bit annoyed at how apathetic a lot of the students are. I wish the uni was more political; though perhaps a lot of unis are like this. Though I heard that there was a wall built outside Hallward yesterday and someone got arrested? Can anyone give me any more details? Like who organised it. I want to send my congratulations and support!
ChemistBoy

I'm in my third year at Notts and haven't actually encountered any 'toffs'...although I suppose it was a bit toffish that the main drink at last yr's summer festival was Pimms and not the usual, say, Calrsbeg :p:
the biggest social group seems to be the plastics, who as sssh said, are constantly plastered in makeup like little highstreet clones.
I dunno how vaild the insinuation is that public school students are 'toffs' - I went to a public school most of my life and I've actually turned up to lectures in pajama bottoms before...but then again I do mostly sleep through lectures anway.
IMHO, one of the worst things about Notts is how some of the older Profs, who are really fabulous teachers n so into their subject, also happen to be racist and make kinda shocking comments :eek:
FlyingIsis

IMHO, one of the worst things about Notts is how some of the older Profs, who are really fabulous teachers n so into their subject, also happen to be racist and make kinda shocking comments :eek:

what are the racist comments they make and against whom? Is it against UK domiciled (ethnic minority) students or against international students
i've never heard of a lecturer making racists remarks...
Reply 32
My personal tutor last year had a dog named nigger. I was rather shocked to say the least!
La Trampa
i've never heard of a lecturer making racists remarks...

doesn't mean it doesn't happen
hermaphrodite
what are the racist comments they make and against whom? Is it against UK domiciled (ethnic minority) students or against international students

it was in reference to an African character in a book we were studying...even said oh we're all white here so I can say it...
Actually some ppl in the seminar rightly told him off...to which he made the excuse that he was old and didn't bother with political correctness.
i have to stress though that he is the only lecturer Ive come across in all my years there who was racist...
hermaphrodite
doesn't mean it doesn't happen

i didn't say it didnt! i said i'd never heard of one! i was interested as to find out what happened.
Reply 36
*The student union isn't the best
*Things are quite expensive e.g. accomodation costs
*Big classes
*Food in halls is meant to be poor
*Many societies porrly organised..
compared to uni's in the south, we're cheaper.
big classes is a good thing. it's not like you can't email a lecturer/book a private session with them/call them up to explain stuff.
food is halls is at a satisfactory level if you consider the fact that they're cooking for soo many people, plus there are the mixes and food courts everywhere. plus it's kind of expected that the food won't be great since it's halls! it's not like the dinners people got at school were any better. not to mention the fact that if one really thinks the food is crap, they can order take away.
societies are run by individuals, the amount of effort put in,not only by the leaders but by the soc members affects it.
the student union does do quite well seeing as it's one of the very few student run unions from top to bottom.
Reply 38
La Trampa

the student union does do quite well seeing as it's one of the very few student run unions from top to bottom.

Apart from all the non-student Managers and staff obviously.:wink:
Reply 39
blone_bomb
My personal tutor last year had a dog named nigger. I was rather shocked to say the least!

Learn your History, and watch more War films!

"Nigger" was famously the name of a Black Labrador belonging to the RAF Second World War hero Wing Commander Guy Gibson. The dog died before the 617 Squadron's 1943 raid on the Ruhr dams (the "Dam Busters raid"), and "Nigger" was adopted as the radio code word signaling the destruction of the Möhne dam.

Latest

Trending

Trending