The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Intrinsically, it's not. It's just that the equatorial land it happens to stand on is strongly in demand, as is the timber of which it's constituted.

I don't think you can just post your essay title on TSR and expect ppl here to write the essay for you...
Reply 2
thats not my title, its a question i need answering beacsue i know:

Very vunerable as it has closed cycles and if trees are cut down the soil is very vunerable to fire etc,.
Reply 3
COPYRIGHT
thats not my title, its a question i need answering beacsue i know:

Very vunerable as it has closed cycles and if trees are cut down the soil is very vunerable to fire etc,.

compression of soil as well..
Reply 4
if the trees are cut down, the roots are removed in which made the soil very stable, without the roots,( and upper canopy) they are exposed to the harsh rain in its full impact and are easily washed away. There are MORE rain in the equator than anywhere else in the world- this causes a lot of disturbance to soils in which isnt protected and isnt held together anymore. This washes away the nutrients. And no trees/bushes/any biological matter = very hard to get nutrients into the ground so soils are furhter exhausted by people who try to farm on deforesated lands. And causes desertification in which the soil turns to desert. :smile:

CLOSED CYCLE. Only way to get the land back to its full producitivty is to add tons and tons of nutrients back into the ground.

And why the term equatorial is included in there? Almost all rainforests are at the equator..that just implies why rainforests in the equator are more vulnerable than the rainforests which isnt at the equator...stupid.,
Reply 5
blahbloo
if the trees are cut down, the roots are removed in which made the soil very stable, without the roots,( and upper canopy) they are exposed to the harsh rain in its full impact and are easily washed away. There are MORE rain in the equator than anywhere else in the world- this causes a lot of disturbance to soils in which isnt protected and isnt held together anymore. This washes away the nutrients. And no trees/bushes/any biological matter = very hard to get nutrients into the ground so soils are furhter exhausted by people who try to farm on deforesated lands. And causes desertification in which the soil turns to desert. :smile:

CLOSED CYCLE. Only way to get the land back to its full producitivty is to add tons and tons of nutrients back into the ground.

And why the term equatorial is included in there? Almost all rainforests are at the equator..that just implies why rainforests in the equator are more vulnerable than the rainforests which isnt at the equator...stupid.,

Well strictly speaking, the equator is at 0 degrees latitude and are all the rainforests entirely linear across this latitude? No. Instead alot of them can be found within the tropical, equatorial regions, which denotes the area around the equator as well as on the equator, and the area inbetween the Tropics of Capricorn and Cancer. There are however some rainforests that are not within equatorial regions, such as Tasmania rainforest for example. Therefore by stating that it is equatorial rainforests to be looking at, you are limiting the climatic factors and changes to the cells (Hadley), winds, currents and zones there.:smile:
Reply 6
Mmmm but the question is why it's vulnerable to human activity - i.e. why would humans want to impact upon it in the first place.

Yes, a rainforest, when disturbed, goes out of "equilibrium" (itself of course an outmoded concept wrt biospheres) very quickly because the soil is nutrient-poor (as you say, excessive leeching) and relies on the litter layer above which without trees dropping litter swiftly vanishes.....BUT you can point to disequilibrium problems in pretty much any biosphere, even if some are more resilient than others - the thing that really distinguishes them is to what extent they are impacted by humans in the first place - why and how much humans want to come along and interfere/cut them down.

That would be my take on the question, anyway...
Reply 7
Tom
Mmmm but the question is why it's vulnerable to human activity - i.e. why would humans want to impact upon it in the first place.

Yes, a rainforest, when disturbed, goes out of "equilibrium" (itself of course an outmoded concept wrt biospheres) very quickly because the soil is nutrient-poor (as you say, excessive leeching) and relies on the litter layer above which without trees dropping litter swiftly vanishes.....BUT you can point to disequilibrium problems in pretty much any biosphere, even if some are more resilient than others - the thing that really distinguishes them is to what extent they are impacted by humans in the first place - why and how much humans want to come along and interfere/cut them down.

That would be my take on the question, anyway...

Right- I just took a long while responding to that only to realise that I had practically written out the whole essay, which I'm not going to do for someone else ;no; as I value originality etc.;yes; I've decided to write my own answer to this question myself. Although I do have some advice to seek from you Tom on doing this- what word limit should I set/aim for, seeing as I'm a uni student, even though this is my own independent work for my own interest.:biggrin: :redface: :ninja: Or shall I forget about confined succinctness aka any word limits?:p: Also Tom- if you do so dearly wish to be acquainted with my ideas on the subject in response to yourself, then I may send a PM outlining these in your direction.:biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending