The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Paxdax
What do you think about Somaliland? Illegal state?

hahahah, i thought we sorted this out on the other thread. It is very very legal.
Reply 41
Shuky
hahahah, i thought we sorted this out on the other thread. It is very very legal.

Well, never seen no other thread, but it's good it's legal :P
Legal or Illegal in what sense?
Reply 43
yh thats what i was thinking lol
Reply 44
Signor Optimist
Legal or Illegal in what sense?

I persume its existance.
I think Landers are smarter then the other cows in the herd. But what's with all the bull****ing about the other somali people?
Reply 46
what r u on about?u confused child lol. 'cows in the herd'???????????Stop generalising.........
I know a lot of people are going to have an issue with this but...

I'm a 'Northerner' but I don't accept the legitimacy of Somaliland as a separate state to Somalia (and btw neither does the rest of the world) and I'll tell you why.

In terms of culture, language, religion and even ethnicity they're the same. The only reason that some Northerners and Southerners want it separate is because after Said Barre was kicked out the turmoil that followed had left much of the North at peace. Most people in Mogadishu now fled to Hergesa because it's safer.

We're already divided as a Muslim Ummah, it would be lovely to see as one again; so why on earth would you want to further divide a Muslim country that not only shares values and religion, but language, culture, history and ethnicity as well?

There is no valid reason...Somalia was one once a upon a time, then came the European colonizers. They separated Somalia to the Italian Somaliland, British Somaliland & Ogaden and the French Djibouti because they all wanted a little piece of Africa and it's people. They left what was originally Greater Somalia into 3 countries and you want to divide it further? Why?
Reply 48
u know what I agree with u and I know there is many who dont.I am also a somalilander and I think it would have been better if we were one country.However,I don't think that its likely with the current situation in Somalia and the tensions that have existed and still do.
Reply 49
mizfissy815
I know a lot of people are going to have an issue with this but...

I'm a 'Northerner' but I don't accept the legitimacy of Somaliland as a separate state to Somalia (and btw neither does the rest of the world) and I'll tell you why.

In terms of culture, language, religion and even ethnicity they're the same. The only reason that some Northerners and Southerners want it separate is because after Said Barre was kicked out the turmoil that followed had left much of the North at peace. Most people in Mogadishu now fled to Hergesa because it's safer.

We're already divided as a Muslim Ummah, it would be lovely to see as one again; so why on earth would you want to further divide a Muslim country that not only shares values and religion, but language, culture, history and ethnicity as well?

There is no valid reason...Somalia was one once a upon a time, then came the European colonizers. They separated Somalia to the Italian Somaliland, British Somaliland & Ogaden and the French Djibouti because they all wanted a little piece of Africa and it's people. They left what was originally Greater Somalia into 3 countries and you want to divide it further? Why?

Actaully there was no greater Somalia inlcuding somalialnd and somalia before the europeans came it was split up into different states etc therefore it was only 'Somalia' after they actually left. Yes its true it would be good for us to live in 1 country however, do you really think that is possible, with the different ways of life and tribe rivalries. many of the other arab nations have the same culture religion language but they are sperate how and why is that. In order to really perserve peace they have to be seperate however i would still be a firm supporter of a lot of cooperation between the 2 such as open boarders etc but just for them to run themselves.
Reply 50
I think unification is unlikely because of the situation in the South.I think there is too much tension between clans and too much has happened in the past.There really is no chance of unification.I think many somalilanders would prefer unification but,they think that it is unlikely .Somaliland is peaceful and is a success story in Africa.This is compared with the crisis in the South and the violence that is going on.
Shuky
Actaully there was no greater Somalia inlcuding somalialnd and somalia before the europeans came it was split up into different states etc therefore it was only 'Somalia' after they actually left. Yes its true it would be good for us to live in 1 country however, do you really think that is possible, with the different ways of life and tribe rivalries. many of the other arab nations have the same culture religion language but they are sperate how and why is that. In order to really perserve peace they have to be seperate however i would still be a firm supporter of a lot of cooperation between the 2 such as open boarders etc but just for them to run themselves.

Arabia was just Arabia or most if part of the Ottmaan Empire for a long time. The Hijaaz area of Saudi was part of the Ottmaan Empire, but Najd was always just run by tribes and never part of it. All the other Gulf nations that they share a culture (sort of) with were also part of the Ottmaan Empire or British Empire.

Most of the Gulf nations declared independence from the British in the 1950s-1970s....hence their separation. Saudi was only ever part of the Ottmaan empire and when that fell, the tribes 'united' and with Al-Saud leading them, formed a state in the 1930s.

Once again, it was colonizing powers of the British that separated most of these Gulf nations that used to travel openly from one to another. That is not to say, Arab leaders who loved there throne and weren't willing to give it up to for anyone didn't play a part.

Why the tribal rivalry? That is the main problem; rather than dealing with such rubbish that caused the country thousands of lives and millions of dollars worth of infrastructures...we're trying to find ways to further cause a division and effectively run away from the problem.
Qaali
I think unification is unlikely because of the situation in the South.I think there is too much tension between clans and too much has happened in the past.There really is no chance of unification.I think many somalilanders would prefer unification but,they think that it is unlikely .Somaliland is peaceful and is a success story in Africa.This is compared with the crisis in the South and the violence that is going on.

Plz remember the crisis in the South is because of the decision of BOTH the north and south the kick out Siad Barre that led to most of the civil war. Not to mention the Somali National Movements complete support to the American 'intervention' in Somalia when they had absolutely no place there; something the Americans realized themselves after awhile.
Reply 53
mizfissy815
Arabia was just Arabia or most if part of the Ottmaan Empire for a long time. The Hijaaz area of Saudi was part of the Ottmaan Empire, but Najd was always just run by tribes and never part of it. All the other Gulf nations that they share a culture (sort of) with were also part of the Ottmaan Empire or British Empire.

Most of the Gulf nations declared independence from the British in the 1950s-1970s....hence their separation. Saudi was only ever part of the Ottmaan empire and when that fell, the tribes 'united' and with Al-Saud leading them, formed a state in the 1930s.

Once again, it was colonizing powers of the British that separated most of these Gulf nations that used to travel openly from one to another. That is not to say, Arab leaders who loved there throne and weren't willing to give it up to for anyone didn't play a part.

Why the tribal rivalry? That is the main problem; rather than dealing with such rubbish that caused the country thousands of lives and millions of dollars worth of infrastructures...we're trying to find ways to further cause a division and effectively run away from the problem.

Thats a similar story for somalia. As the British Italian and French colonised the different sections they had divided them even more and now they find it hard to integrate the different models. However, in my opinion there is not really a way of getting rid of the divide caused by the tribes therefore we have to find a way that would reduce the chances of further damage to infrustructure and lives.
Shuky
Thats a similar story for somalia. As the British Italian and French colonised the different sections they had divided them even more and now they find it hard to integrate the different models. However, in my opinion there is not really a way of getting rid of the divide caused by the tribes therefore we have to find a way that would reduce the chances of further damage to infrustructure and lives.

Exactly; they were not divided prior to the colonization.

You're giving up too easily.

Dividing would only cause more problems. You think that if they were two independent states that people would travel between them freely? No. Each one the gov. will be too up their own behind and start to takes measures to distance themselves from one another. By that I mean try and develop their own identity and compete for can kiss western gov. behinds the best. They'll start ruling with Shariaa when murder is committed but leave everything else.

One Islamic state is my solution. And any Muslim who fears Allah(swt) would never say no to an Islamic state.
Besides with Ethiopia in Somalia now, Somali(lander)s need to understand that unity is the only thing and actual physical action is all that's going to kick Ethiopia out.
Reply 56
u guys r confusing me .Ill just stay out of this and leave it to u guys..............
Reply 57
mizfissy815
Exactly; they were not divided prior to the colonization.

You're giving up too easily.

Dividing would only cause more problems. You think that if they were two independent states that people would travel between them freely? No. Each one the gov. will be too up their own behind and start to takes measures to distance themselves from one another. By that I mean try and develop their own identity and compete for can kiss western gov. behinds the best. They'll start ruling with Shariaa when murder is committed but leave everything else.

One Islamic state is my solution. And any Muslim who fears Allah(swt) would never say no to an Islamic state.

How about if that 1 islamic state would cause many deaths and hardship, can i still call my self Allah fearing. You have to understand that even if Somaliland joins somalia they will not stop their they will again go in search for a 'Greater Somalia' causing more war and strife upon Somalis and their neighbours.

What makes you think that if they become one country they will not 'kiss western governments behinds'. A greater Somalia has been dead now for the best part of 17 years therefore i do not think the Somalilanders will accept unit, 96% of the people voted to become an independent state so what makes you think they are going to give up the independence they hold so dear. What makes you think the scars of having their parents, cousins borthers and sisters killed by Siad Barree and hsi henchmen many of whom are now runnin Somalia lead them again, as soon as there is an election fighting will begin. In m opinion they have already grwon far apart, from the colonial rule to the 17 years of independence now.

Peace is my solution, and i dont think any Allah(SWT) fearing person would issue anything that would cause more death and suffering amongs innocent people.
Reply 58
How about solving the issues that first brought the Ehiopeans in and then talking about unity. If there was no constant fighting in Mugdisho how would they come in, and besides now that they practically run the country in my opinion the TFG cannot be taken seriously as a soverign country.
I'll reply sometime in the next couple of days. I have exams in less than 4 days and I'm currently procrastinating.