The Student Room Group

Aqa B Chem Help Pls

ok, i have this question-

The term acylation can be applied to the reaction of ethanoyl chloride with ethylamine and also to the reaction of ethanoyl chloride with benzene in the presence of a catalyst.
For each of these reactions, write an equation for the overall reaction and name the organic product. name and outline a mechanism for each reaction and identify a suitable catalys for the reaction with benzene.

this is 15 marks.. what do i write? where do i start?? Please Help Me ! :confused:
Reply 1
well acylation is basically removal of chloride group from a molecule, ryt an equation with ethanoyl chloride and ethylamine reacting to make hydrochloric acid and the C double-bond O from the ethanoyl chloride reacts with the NH in the ethtylamine

for the ethanoyl chloride with benzene, the reaction is heated under reflux with the presence of AlCl3 catalyst, they react to make HCL and the C double-bond O from the ethanoyl chloride combines with the benzene
Reply 2
thnx.. but al that 4 15marks??
Reply 3
well no but i'm just telling u all i know!!
if u get the equations ryt, the bonds in the new products ryt, name the compounds, and then the conditions for the benzene, ur at least half way! n then my mechanism of the reactions i ges it means nucleophillic/electrophillic substititution and show movement of electrons (by curly arrows) am not very sure about this part
For each of these reactions, write an equation for the overall reaction and name the organic product. name and outline a mechanism for each reaction and identify a suitable catalys for the reaction with benzene.

OK there are 2 reactions so the below is multiplied by 2

you are asked for:
an equation for the overall reaction (1 mark)
name the organic product (1 mark)
name a mechanism (1 mark)
outline a mechanism - curly arrows and intermediates (4 bits = 4 marks)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
x 2 = 14

identify a suitable catalyst for the reaction with benzene (1 mark)
=15

You just have to read the question and break it down into parts...

Latest