The Student Room Group

Further maths A2 for Nat Sci?

Hi,
I'm applying to Natural Sciences (Physical) this year and am considering Newnham College.
Ive just done my ASs in Physics, Maths, Chemistry, German and French.
(My scores were 292 266 272 254 274)
This year I did one module of further maths in which I got 90 and am doing the other two modules next year (my school only offers fmath at AS).

Is an A/S in fmath enough or would it be more of an advantage to go on and do the A2? (This means I have to work on three extra modules on my own)

Also, I'm not 100% sure about my choice of college. I chose Newnham because It seems quite casual and not so competitive but Im willing to change my choice if there is a college that seems better for me.

Thanx
Liz1
Hi,
I'm applying to Natural Sciences (Physical) this year and am considering Newnham College.
Ive just done my ASs in Physics, Maths, Chemistry, German and French.
(My scores were 292 266 272 254 274)
This year I did one module of further maths in which I got 90 and am doing the other two modules next year (my school only offers fmath at AS).

Is an A/S in fmath enough or would it be more of an advantage to go on and do the A2? (This means I have to work on three extra modules on my own)

Also, I'm not 100% sure about my choice of college. I chose Newnham because It seems quite casual and not so competitive but Im willing to change my choice if there is a college that seems better for me.

Thanx

Cambridge won't discriminate against your application on the basis that it lacks full further maths, especially if it's because you weren't offered it at school. They're also going to love your French and German; they seem to like at least some of their scientists to have a diverse academic interest, not just be churning out 600s in their science A-levels. I only had AS further maths but did A-level history along with physics and chemistry and they didn't seem to have a problem. It also gives you something else to talk about in the interview!

In terms of the usefulness of further maths to the natural science course, I'd say that the pure modules are very very useful: you can practically sleep through Michaelmas maths lectures because almost everything covered is stuff you're familiar with. The further mechanics options are fairly useful too, although not much of it crops up and anything that does is carefully covered in lectures; the pure maths by comparison is taught at break-neck speed so any head start is a big bonus. As for stats or decision maths, they're not really useful at all beyond about A-level module 2; certainly don't worry about not having S4 or something!

You'd be fine with AS further maths, although ideally the majority of the further modules you do would be pure. If you think you're up to working the three extra modules on your own, go for it; although you're not losing any interview credit by not having full further, if you can sit there with a beaming smile and say you taught it to yourself, they're bound to be impressed!
Reply 2
well regarding college choices, it's always hard for people to pick for you...you should go to cambridge, have a look around, and you'll know it when you find the right college.

Regarding Further Maths...Of course A2 further maths would be better than AS. However, your school does not offer this. Make sure cambridge are aware fo this, and then they will not dscriminate what-so-ever...you have done all which is available to you and that's good enough!

Latest

Trending

Trending