The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

MSc in Management - anyone doing it? any thoughts?

hi, i'm looking at the msc in management, but the information is quite sparse. the courses look strange -- compared to vanilla management courses -- but seems nice and rigorous. what i want to know most is what are the thoughts about this program? i mean in terms of its reputatioin and such and employability? is it going to open doors in investment banking (perhaps corp fin or M&A)? what about trading or market positions?

anyway, for ppl going to the msc management, please come in and give any thoughts on the program!
Reply 1
Hey there,

Well, I will BE in the Msc in Management the coming october, and I very much hope it will do what you were wondering about...hehe, espcecially concerning the high fees:P But to be quite honest with you, I think you should not have the slightest worries about the Msc opening doors for you. All the british, french and american collegues of my father's were 'flabbergasted' by me getting in this institution and program. You should also know that even economic history Msc's from LSE get in 'Merger and Aquisitions' departments at ABN Amro (one of my fellow alumni from UCU did this). Okay, to come back at the content of the course: I have applied to several institutions (Bocconi Italy, HEC France, ESCP-EAP France, ERIM Rotterdam School of Management PhD position, St Andrews MPhil) and I was accepted at all of these institutions:smile: I chose for LSE, because I do not have working experience yet, and the Msc's at these other (top-) institutions are all 'vocational' in nature, meaning that they are sort of a junior MBA. LSE is definetely more intellectual, with loads of game theory, micro-economics, and finance. At college I was vice-Head of the Career committee at campus, and I have spoken with recruiters of virtually all big consultancies and investment banks: these people do NOT like people who come pre-packed from a business school with absolutely no working experience!! In fact, many prefer somebody with a background in natural sciences. Against this background the Msc in Management seems to be a rigorous program, with the right content. Also, the amazing american partner insitutions, but also its cooperation with the elite b-schools in Europe seem to grant its quality. In the end, it all depends what you intend to do, and what your preferences are. The junior mba type of schools are much more suitable for a career in mortar and brick firms than LSE, for consultancies, finance etc, I would definetely go for LSE.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Hy,

I too got an offer for MSc Management at LSE, but I decided to deffer it until the next year since I graduated only one month ago and I want to gain some working experience before... About the programme: I do not know anyone who attended the course, and the people that did obviously dont visit this forum because I havent seen many posts about the pogramme...
I personaly knew I wanted to go to LSE for postgraduate study, and since i am interested in Management issues it was natural to choose this course... the only source of information I found about the programme was the LSE web page, and although it isnt much I found it quite good... i just thought: it is LSE we are talking about, how bad can it be?

Anyway, I would also appreciate any other comments from someone who attended the course... for example, about the quality of the programme, people and employment possibilities...thanx

siomha
Reply 3
hi,

in fact, i'm about to start in this course this september as well. thank you very much you two for your information. now, what i find strange is that the course regulation kinda keeps changing. like now, if you look at their website, one of the website only has 3 core courses, but if you look at their booklet they have 4 core courses (design & management of organisations being the extra one .. MN426 i think). i'm just confused because this makes the free elective courses quite limited ...

anyway, it's nice to see some potential classmates here! see you in september

Latest

Trending

Trending