The Student Room Group

University help - Confused annoyed and wanting to cry

haha, i dont really wanna cry but the rest is true.

Basically, I chose Computer Science in the following unis (and their required grades):

Bristol (AAB)
York (AAB)
Bath (AAB)
Southampton (ABB)
Surrey (BBB)

now the problem is, i started this school only at AS, and starting A2, i have a new teacher who literally has personal problems with me (she told me I will be a "disaster when i go to university" and regularly throws personal attacks at me), so now i get my predicted grades from my teachers which are: Maths - C, Physics - A/B, ICT - B, and all unis (apart from surrey) want an A at maths.

Attaining the grades is no problem, i am 100% sure I will get AAB at the rate im workin, if not AAA, but i dont even know whats gonna happen because of the predicted grades. and im just so confused and annoyed, because it feels like a teacher who has problems with me is holding me back. People said my personal statement is very good - Excellent.

My heart is set upon Bristol, and felt like I was on my way to going there until the teacher told me my predicted grades. (bristol dont do interviews) Just say bristol deffered me (God forbid), my plan would be to literally go all the way to Bristol when I get my results to talk with them. Would they listen to me?

And ould someone please explain my position and the whole situation and the likelyhood of me getting offers from my university choices and would contacting the university to tell them how sure I am of getting the required grades help? Could someone please help as Im even having trouble sleeping because of it all.

Thanks

Dan

Scroll to see replies

Can you not talk to your teachers and explain to them the situation and change your grades? Thats how I got my business studies grade changed from a C to an A. To be honest, I think my business teacher confused me with someone else, as she always calls me "Rachel" and I got an A at AS.
What's your AS grade for Maths? I thought the usual protocol was to predict you one grade higher than your AS grade. If you did quite well at AS Maths, then you should speak to your head of year maybe, or head of Maths dept. and see if they are willing to change it.
sgtblitz
haha, i dont really wanna cry but the rest is true.

Basically, I chose Computer Science in the following unis (and their required grades):

Bristol (AAB)
York (AAB)
Bath (AAB)
Southampton (ABB)
Surrey (BBB)

now the problem is, i started this school only at AS, and starting A2, i have a new teacher who literally has personal problems with me (she told me I will be a "disaster when i go to university" and regularly throws personal attacks at me), so now i get my predicted grades from my teachers which are: Maths - C, Physics - A/B, ICT - B, and all unis (apart from surrey) want an A at maths.

Attaining the grades is no problem, i am 100% sure I will get AAB at the rate im workin, if not AAA, but i dont even know whats gonna happen because of the predicted grades. and im just so confused and annoyed, because it feels like a teacher who has problems with me is holding me back. People said my personal statement is very good - Excellent.

My heart is set upon Bristol, and felt like I was on my way to going there until the teacher told me my predicted grades. (bristol dont do interviews) Just say bristol deffered me (God forbid), my plan would be to literally go all the way to Bristol when I get my results to talk with them. Would they listen to me?

And ould someone please explain my position and the whole situation and the likelyhood of me getting offers from my university choices and would contacting the university to tell them how sure I am of getting the required grades help? Could someone please help as Im even having trouble sleeping because of it all.

Thanks

Dan

Just thought I would point out to you, Bristol last year invited people to a compulsory open day. I suspect it would be the same this year. As for uni offers, Comp Sci depts are desperate for students, some damn good courses ended up in clearing if the worst comes. See if you can get those grades sorted though, just to help your application along. Finally relax.
Reply 4
What did you get at AS? If you got a A or B then it would be very cruel to predict a C. I would talk to the head of year or whoever runs your UCAS stuff at your school. Predicted grades shouldn't hold people back of their true potential, espeicially if it really is more of a personal issue between you and your teacher as you say.
What were your AS results?

If your predicted grades are lower than your AS then complain, if your predicted grades are the same or higher then it's sort of your own fault. (Not in a harsh way)
Yeah, what are your AS grades. If you got a C in AS maths, to be honest, an A is being pretty ambitious. If not, you should be able to get an A predicted.
Reply 7
At AS maths, I did get a C, it was 3 marks off of a B though, i mean i know i cant change my predicted grades and yes, it seems ambitious for those grades lol, but trust me, im 100 percent i will get the grades, AS was a very bad year for me, but this year is different and i know what i am capable of. but the problem is not changing my predicted grades as i know its impossible now. im just wondering what the chances are of getting offers and what to do in the worst case scenario etc.
sgtblitz
At AS maths, I did get a C, it was 3 marks off of a B though, i mean i know i cant change my predicted grades and yes, it seems ambitious for those grades lol, but trust me, im 100 percent i will get the grades, AS was a very bad year for me, but this year is different and i know what i am capable of. but the problem is not changing my predicted grades as i know its impossible now. im just wondering what the chances are of getting offers and what to do in the worst case scenario etc.

The worst case scenario is you will get onto a very good course through clearing or ucas extra (unless you really screw up your A-levels). If there are mitigating circumstances, make damn sure there is a mention of them in your application and reference. To play safe, you might want to apply to another BBB in addition to Surrey, Durham is a good place that does BBB, for example. Assuming of course, you havent sent your application off.
Reply 9
Considering you got a C at AS, I don't think it's unreasonable for your teacher to predict you a C for A2, although a B probably could have been persuaded considering you were so close to it. Asking for an A is a bit much though.

But if your application has been sent off already and you can't change your grades, then there isn't much you can do but wait. All of the unis you applied to have higher offers than what you're predicted, so I'm not too sure of your chances. It would have been better to pick a few unis that match your ABC prediction or lower rather than every single uni asking for better. Did you not find out your predicted grades until after your application was sent?
Aksan
Considering you got a C at AS, I don't think it's unreasonable for your teacher to predict you a C for A2, although a B probably could have been persuaded considering you were so close to it. Asking for an A is a bit much though.

But if your application has been sent off already and you can't change your grades, then there isn't much you can do but wait. All of the unis you applied to have higher offers than what you're predicted, so I'm not too sure of your chances. It would have been better to pick a few unis that match your ABC prediction or lower rather than every single uni asking for better. Did you not find out your predicted grades until after your application was sent?

Predicted Grades can be changed at any time, very easily.
Reply 11
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Predicted Grades can be changed at any time, very easily.

They can? I wasn't aware of that. Ignore what I just said then. :p:
I think you should at least get them to move the prediction up to a B, so that it fits with most of the unis you have applied to (seeing as none of them want less than a B). Explain that you need it for univeristy, and you're determined to work hard this year. Most sixth forms would be reasonable and raise your predicted grade if you told them about that :smile:
Reply 13
Aksan - Yes, I was asking them for weeks about my predicted grades, but they told me once it was sent off and I had already got the confirmation E-mails from surrey and bristol that they had received my application.

Hopping Mad Kangaroo - How can they be changed?
Aksan
They can? I wasn't aware of that. Ignore what I just said then. :p:

Yup I know someone who did it. Though it is very important that it is done sharpish, before an admissions officer looks at it.
sgtblitz
Aksan - Yes, I was asking them for weeks about my predicted grades, but they told me once it was sent off and I had already got the confirmation E-mails from surrey and bristol that they had received my application.

Hopping Mad Kangaroo - How can they be changed?

Your Referee can do it from their end, basically ask your Head of Sixth form to do it.
Reply 16
If you can get your predicted maths grade up to a B then it'll do a lot of good for your application. Get it done ASAP!
Reply 17
Ok, looks like i have a lot to do tomorrow haha. Thanks you guys for your honest opinions, Good luck!
Reply 18
sgtblitz I see soooo many emails to the uni i work at from sixth form teachers saying so and so's predicted grades have gone up - just get them to send an email! good luck!
RosiePosiePuddingAndPie
I think you should at least get them to move the prediction up to a B, so that it fits with most of the unis you have applied to (seeing as none of them want less than a B). Explain that you need it for univeristy, and you're determined to work hard this year. Most sixth forms would be reasonable and raise your predicted grade if you told them about that :smile:

I think a little clarity is needed in this thread.
Predicted grades are not there to do students a favour; and nor should they be.
Universities do not want inflated grades.
When a teacher makes a prdicted grade it is a matter of integrity; proffesionalism if you will.
Predicted grades are not there to be changed to match a students application.
It would be a cold day in Hell before I changed a predicted grade from anything other than what I thought a student would acheive, and I certainly would not be impressed if asked to change a grade to match an application.

Now I wish the OP well in their applications, don't get me wrong; but I simply do not hold with some of the comments made here.

Latest

Trending

Trending