The Student Room Group

Journalism Applicants 2018 - where are you applying?

Hi all, introduce yourself and tell us where you're applying! :awesome:

University choices:
What subject(s) are currently studying?:
Predicted A2 grades:
AS grades:
GCSE grades:
Why Journalism?
Anyone got any offers or applied for journalism or even media & Communications? There’s not many threads which express the opinions and offers which these subjects entail. I’ve recently applied to:

University of Sheffield - Journalism Studies
University of Leeds- Journalism
University of Lincoln - Journalism
University of Leicester - Media & Communications
Loughborough University - Media & Communications
I want to apply to Sheffield because it is number 1 for journalism on The Guardian league tables for journalism 2018. However, I was not impressed by the city...
Original post by Leila1997
I want to apply to Sheffield because it is number 1 for journalism on The Guardian league tables for journalism 2018. However, I was not impressed by the city...

By itself, that is a very poor reason to apply to a particular uni/course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ageshallnot
By itself, that is a very poor reason to apply to a particular uni/course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

On the contrary, I think that by commiting to live somewhere for 3 years you need to enjoy the city, where you will be spending arguably the most important years of your life.
It isn’t all just about your course, some overlook the importance of location/nightlife.
For me, coming from a big city, I wasn’t that impressed by the shops/restaurants in Sheffield and so had to settle for a sticky-floored pizza hut. But that is just my personal opinion, I was more impressed visiting Newcastle and Liverpool.
On the contrary, I think that by commiting to live somewhere for 3 years you need to enjoy the city, where you will be spending arguably the most important years of your life.
It isn’t all just about your course, some overlook the importance of location/nightlife.
For me, coming from a big city, I wasn’t that impressed by the shops/restaurants in Sheffield and so had to settle for a sticky-floored pizza hut. But that is just my personal opinion, I was more impressed visiting Newcastle and Liverpool.

You misunderstand me.

In your previous post you gave a reason FOR applying to Sheffield, i.e. it was top of the Guardian league table for journalism. I expressed the view that this was a very poor reason to apply for a course/uni. I stand by that.

Otoh I agree that environment is a major factor in where you should choose to study.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You misunderstand me.

In your previous post you gave a reason FOR applying to Sheffield, i.e. it was top of the Guardian league table for journalism. I expressed the view that this was a very poor reason to apply for a course/uni. I stand by that.

Otoh I agree that environment is a major factor in where you should choose to study.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah i see, yes maybe I didn’t quite understand what you meant.
I guess I thought that Sheffield is unquestionable since its at the top for journalism, but there are many factors I should be looking at when choosing uni’s :smile:
Ah i see, yes maybe I didn’t quite understand what you meant.
I guess I thought that Sheffield is unquestionable since its at the top for journalism, but there are many factors I should be looking at when choosing uni’s :smile:

I wouldn't say that Sheffield is unquestionably top for journalism at all. The Guardian 'league tables' are a) only one of several such rankings, b) like all such 'tables' they contain fundamental flaws, and c) the Guardian's are more prone to rogue rankings (eg Brunel 4th for History a few years ago. Yeah, right...)

Have a look at Cardiff and indeed City as well, though they might be better at postgraduate level.
I wouldn't say that Sheffield is unquestionably top for journalism at all. The Guardian 'league tables' are a) only one of several such rankings, b) like all such 'tables' they contain fundamental flaws, and c) the Guardian's are more prone to rogue rankings (eg Brunel 4th for History a few years ago. Yeah, right...)

Have a look at Cardiff and indeed City as well, though they might be better at postgraduate level.

Ah yes i did look at both City and Cardiff but the entry requirements are too high. I don’t have a B in English :frown:
Any more you could suggest? I’m applying for Kingston in London I think. Are you studying or a perspective student?
Anyone applied to Essex?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Snufkin
Hi all, introduce yourself and tell us where you're applying! :awesome:

University choices:
What subject(s) are currently studying?:
Predicted A2 grades:
AS grades:
GCSE grades:
Why Journalism?

Uni choices :
University of derby
Sheffield Hallam

Subjects studying:
English language
Psychology
Health and social

Predicted grades, ABD

GCSE: BBCCCDD

Why journalism:
Because of its form of inquisitive English in which the possibilities are endless to write an article about. I want to peruse fashion Journalism
Original post by Gmwood18
Uni choices :
University of derby
Sheffield Hallam

Subjects studying:
English language
Psychology
Health and social

Predicted grades, ABD

GCSE: BBCCCDD

Why journalism:
Because of its form of inquisitive English in which the possibilities are endless to write an article about. I want to peruse fashion Journalism

Hey :h:

Just wanted to pop my head up and let you know that I'm a third year student (English language) at Sheffield Hallam, so if you have any questions about student life here, the uni or the city, I'd be happy to answer them :smile:
I have applied for:

Lincoln - Unconditional offer
Nottingham Trent - Unconditional offer
Coventry - Conditional offer
De Montfort - Unconditional offer (had interview/exam last week)
City of London - Interview/exam next month

Really impressed by DMU, but looking forward to seeing what City has to offer.
University choices:
University of Leeds: BA (Hons) Journalism (Haven’t heard from)
University of Lincoln: BA (Hons) Journalism (Unconditional Offer)
University of Brighton: BA (Hons) Journalism Studies (Conditional Offer)
University of Stirling: BA (Hons) Journalism (Conditional Offer)
Plymouth Marion University: BA (Hons) Journalism (Conditional Offer)

Subjects: English Language, Photography, Film Studies

Predicted: Above each AS which were C,C,B.

GCSE: A mixture of A’s, B’s and the odd C.

I just adore the subject and want to take a more in-depth study into it. I would love to work in broadcasting or the critic side of journalism so I am so excited when I finally can pick my offers ☺️
Reply 14
University choices: Uni of Sheffield (Offered conditional), Kingston Uni (Unconditional), Nottingham Trent Uni (Conditional), Liverpool John Moores and Uni of Leeds
What subject(s) are currently studying?: English Language, Media Studies and Photography
Predicted A2 grades: ABB
AS grades: BCC
GCSE grades: One A, One C and Rest B's
Uni choices:
University of Sheffield - Journalism Studies (ABB)
Cardiff University - Welsh and Journalism (BBB)
University of Edinburgh - English and History (still waiting)
University of Exeter - English and History (AAB)
University of Kent - English and History (Unconditional)

Currently Studying (A Levels):
English Literature and Language
History
Welsh
The Welsh Baccalaureate

GCSEs: 2A*s, 5As, B, 3Cs
Predicted A Levels: AAAA

Why journalism: I’m a big fan of story telling, and when I read I always find the most fascinating stories to be the ones based on true events or people. My favourite types of articles are ones based on real people who have been caught up in massive events but their stories are never told despite how incredible they are; I want to be able to tell the stories of those who have no opportunity to tell their own stories.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 16
Hello :smile:

I've applied for Cardiff, Loughborough and Leeds. Cardiff is my firm choice because the course and city sound great!
Im currently finishing BTEC TV & Film and Cardiff have offered me DMM conditional offer

Why Journalism?
Ive always enjoyed the theory side of everything and writing. News has always interested me and plays such a big part in today's society. I wouldnt mind being a part of that, both influencing, educating and entertaining others :biggrin:
Nobody has mentioned Sunderland. My older sister went there and loved it. Okay the city is not the best choice when you have bigger/brighter cities out there but it's really friendly and my sister had a great time (metro to newcastle for nights out lol).She said the staff were helpful and they now have a great media hub where you can get experience writing for news/sport/fashion websites/student mag and you can apply to be part of the team on radio. She says if you really want to go into journalism, make sure any uni you choose includes NCTJ qualifications along with the degree because that's the industry qualification.BTW, she graduated last year but has decided journalism is not for her .... she's now doing a Masters degree in PR.
Nottingham Trent
Gloucester
Manchester Metropolitan

I always had interest in Journalism.

I don't really know my predicted grades but I had a pretty bad Maths at GCSE
Hey!
I am a Student Ambassador at BU! Feel free to ask any questions that you may have! We have also created a few threads that you may be interested in:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=341
Alice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending