The Student Room Group

International Relations for a business job

I would like to study something very international. International Relations sounds very tempting, although I am not sure about the employability of such a course.

I am interested in politics, but later I would rather like to work in the business area due to more posibilities and better salaries.

I often read articles about the demand on skilled workers who have proficiency in several languages and also a good understanding of international relations.

Is international relations are proper course for such positions or is international business a better one? I know, there is also international relations with business...

Would I be doomed to work in politics afer studying international relations? How is the employability of IR apart from politics?
Reply 1
Globetrotter83
I would like to study something very international. International Relations sounds very tempting, although I am not sure about the employability of such a course.

I am interested in politics, but later I would rather like to work in the business area due to more posibilities and better salaries.

I often read articles about the demand on skilled workers who have proficiency in several languages and also a good understanding of international relations.

Is international relations are proper course for such positions or is international business a better one? I know, there is also international relations with business...

Would I be doomed to work in politics afer studying international relations? How is the employability of IR apart from politics?

OOMG I have been thinking abt the same questions for the past couple of months. Impatiently waiting for replies too.
Reply 2
Just like you can become a diplomat with a Law degree, you can become a businessman with an IR degree with no problem. It's not like you're going to study chemistry, which is unrelated, IR touched on many areas of business. Moreover, this is only your undergraduate degree. You might want to do a Master's in Business or something afterwards...
Reply 3
politics isnt bad for a business job anyway, from what Ive heard, employers would much rather have apolitics or IR graduate than a business graduate cos they see politics/IR as a "proper" degree.
Go to LSE and do IR, the world of business will be your oyster.

Latest

Trending

Trending