The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
she must have been weird then
v2006
if you have AAA, just have one AAB uni, and you will be at least with one offer then!

Not necessarily, for some courses the interview is as important as the grades attained thus, someone may have the AAB and be against an AAA candidate for the same spot and the one with slightly lower grades may excel!
mollymustard
A girl from last year's Year 13 got AAAA in her AS levels and was predicted AAAA.
She got rejected from 5/6 Unis for English Literature, and ended up having to go to her last choice.

My school called up the Unis to see why they rejected her and they all made really silly excuses.

It was quite confusing as well, because she'd picked a good spread if Uni's and they weren't all the top 20 or anything...

I suppose it could be a number of things, other than grades, that people get rejected for. Personal statement, reference, subject combination or it could just simply be that there were so many good applicants that they had to reject perfectly good candidates for no reason at all.
Original post by &#946
I suppose it could be a number of things, other than grades, that people get rejected for. Personal statement, reference, subject combination or it could just simply be that there were so many good applicants that they had to reject perfectly good candidates for no reason at all.

Well exactly...
Its still pretty depressing though...
mollymustard
Well exactly...
Its still pretty depressing though...

Yup. Being rejected for no good reason would be pretty painful, especially from your first choice.
Reply 25
Got to remember that not everyone follows how reputable a university is or how difficult it is to get into, they just see the grades the unis want and they think 'Oh great, I can get that', and just dive right in.
I was convinced I'd get all rejections after I sent my UCAS off. I thought I might have put one weird thing down in my Personal Statement, something that seemed normal to me but would seem serial-killerish to anyone else. Thankfully I've had offers so far.
PlaystationStudies
I was convinced I'd get all rejections after I sent my UCAS off. I thought I might have put one weird thing down in my Personal Statement, something that seemed normal to me but would seem serial-killerish to anyone else. Thankfully I've had offers so far.

Serial-Killerish??
Why what did you say out of intrest?
Reply 28
lmao
Reply 29
i will have 6 a's at AS and 4 a's at A level + a distinction at AEA.

but i messed up my LNAT and now it's like they mean nothing! oooohhh well. I just wish i was willing to stay here another year.
I can see it happening to me :p: I decided to go all out and apply for competitive unis and a competitive course, so it could all go very wrong. Got one offer, one rejection, one interview so far.
Last year I got 5 rejections and 1 offer. Then failed to meet the offer :rolleyes:

That was fun!
Reply 32
what course and uni's, and what are you doing now?
Me? Paramedic science at coventry, lancashire, sheffield hallam and hertfordshire (2 courses) were the rejections. Music at leeds was the offer. Am now reapplying to do music at unis with lower entry requirements and hoping for more luck this time!
All I can say is don't apply to a university you wouldn't want to attend just because you think it's very likely you'll get an offer due to lower entry requirements. You'd be better off going into Extra or Clearing than ending up with one offer for a university you wouldn't be happy at. A lot of people do this surprisingly, although it might not happen as much now that choices are limited to 5.
I did try to go through clearing, but the place I wanted to go had no accommodation left :frown:
Reply 36
a friend's sister applied for medicine and was rejected from all six of her choices; straight a student, etc., the usual.

last year i applied for history and english/english and was rejected from 4/6 unis -- ucl, oxford, kcl, warwick. got offers from cardiff and glasgow, which i later decided i didn't want to go to. so gap year for me :smile:
Sephiroth
All I can say is don't apply to a university you wouldn't want to attend just because you think it's very likely you'll get an offer due to lower entry requirements. You'd be better off going into Extra or Clearing than ending up with one offer for a university you wouldn't be happy at. A lot of people do this surprisingly, although it might not happen as much now that choices are limited to 5.

Yup, decided I'd go all out and apply for 5 (maybe 4 I guess) "hard to reach unis" that I really wanted to go to, and if it doesn't work I'll try again next year!
Reply 38
lol when I saw the thread title I thought you were saying that you had 4 / 5 rejections like '4 out of 5' rejections.. o wel
im scared..loadsa these mass rejections seem to be from people applying for english!

Latest

Trending

Trending