The Student Room Group

GCSE Results Day: Didn't do as well as you hoped? Help and advice here!

It's here! For many of you, a day you've been thinking and worried about for months. And as much as we'd love for everyone to have got what they wanted, it's inevitable that some of you won't be happy with your results. Don't panic though! All is not lost, and we'll be around all day to help you with any questions you might have.

Please try and keep chat to a minimum in this thread so we can see easily who needs help- there is the GCSE results day discussion thread for that! There is also post your results, retake and remark information and the grade boundaries thread if you still need more information. Good luck!

Help! I didn't get a 4 or 5 in English and Maths

You'll see these mentioned a lot around TSR, the media and also for universities, jobs and other courses. A 4 is a pass in the new system- it's at the bottom of what was a C. A 5 is a 'strong' pass, which will also be reported in league tables and similar, and might also appear in entry requirements.

If you didn't get a grade 4 the first thing you need to do is talk to your school, and also the college or wherever you want to go in September. It might be that they'll still accept you and allow you to retake next year, or you could go back to your current school and do it there. If you don't plan on going on to further education it is still advisable for you to retake to keep your options open for jobs and later in life. If you got a grade 4 you might also want to retake next year, but this is also something you'll need to talk to your school and college about. If you were very close to the next grade boundary in either case it might be worth you looking into getting your marks reviewed- see this thread for more information.

I didn't get the grades for my sixth form or college?

Go in and talk to them! If you only just missed the grades they wanted they might let you in anyway, or even if you were further away. They might ask you if you'd like to go there to do a different course, or to come back in a few days and they'll let you know. If the answer is no you haven't got in, all is not lost! Have a look at other colleges in your area- it's fairly likely that one of them might have slightly lower entry grades, or be prepared to accept you anyway. You could also look into retaking or getting a marking review of one or more of your subjects, which there's more information on here. Finally, you might decide that A levels or the other course you wanted to do aren't for you, in which case there are more options below.

I didn't get the grades to do the subjects I want

First, you need to think about why you didn't get the grades. Is it that you weren't actually very interested in the subject, didn't put the work in or didn't understand it? Was the exam just a bad day? Did something else affect your results? The answers to these will affect your course of action. A levels are a lot of work and a big step up from GCSE, which is going to be all the harder if you don't already have enough of a grasp of the subject. Schools set entry requirements for a reason, and you're going to need to be interested and willing to put the effort in to catch up and to carry on afterwards. This isn't to say don't do it, just something to think about if you're unsure whether the subject is for you.

If you do decide you'd still like to go ahead, the process is similar to in the question above. Give the college a ring, explain what's happened and why you would still like to give the subject a go. They might ask to see some of your work to see if they think you're capable, or to talk to your school or a teacher you've had previously. This is especially true if you feel like there were other factors affecting your results that you would like them to take into account. If they still say no then ask around some other colleges and also talk to your current school to see what they'd advise. The other option is to self teach the subject, but this is very expensive, difficult and definitely not a decision to be taken lightly. You would also still need to find somewhere willing to let you sit the exams as a private candidate nearer the time.

Are my grades still good enough for uni/course x?

Honestly, there is no way of knowing. Traditionally Oxford have put more emphasis on GCSE grades than Cambridge, but it's not yet clear how much the new reforms and particularly the introduction of grade 9 will change this. Requirements across different medicine, dentistry and veterinary courses vary similarly. What is true for all of these is that while most applicants will have multiple A*s at GCSE not having these shouldn't automatically rule you out- there are always other factors at play. For more information, see are my grades good enough for Oxford, are my grades good enough for Cambridge and the pages for medicine, dentistry and vet med entry requirements.

I don't think I want to do A levels any more...

That's okay! There are plenty of other options out there. Under current rules everyone has to be in further education or training at least part time until they are 18, but there are loads of things you can do within that. Have a look at the BTEC, Apprenticeships and alternatives to university and Career sectors and graduate employment for more information, and there are people like the National Careers Service that can help you too. It's also worth talking to your current school as they'll have plenty of experience with this sort of thing, and friends and family too. Remember it's your decision though!

Whatever your grades, remember that just getting them is an achievement in itself. You never have to go to school again! Everyone is different and there is always another way to do things, whatever it feels like at the time. If you have any questions about your situation there'll be people around all day and beyond to help- just look for those of us with red adviser titles and the CT, ST and community assistants. Finally, whatever you decide to do in September, good luck! :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Great advice :grouphugs:
Reply 2
Basically, I did not do well in my gcses because I did not revise a single bit or put the effort in. Now that I've realised that the grade requirements are higher. I don't think the six form will accept me. I literally did no revision at all and barely paid attention in class. These are the grades I got: English Lang-5 Lit-4. Maths-4. Physics-B. Biology and chemistry-C. Music-C. Media and Computer Science-D. (The thing is that I'm amazing a computer science but on the day I had a migraine the day before and in the exam, I couldn't remember a thing. Now I think I've ruined everything I don't know what to say to convince my sixform to let me do A-level math, A-level physics, A-level computer science
Original post by jam2337
Basically, I did not do well in my gcses because I did not revise a single bit or put the effort in. Now that I've realised that the grade requirements are higher. I don't think the six form will accept me. I literally did no revision at all and barely paid attention in class. These are the grades I got: English Lang-5 Lit-4. Maths-4. Physics-B. Biology and chemistry-C. Music-C. Media and Computer Science-D. (The thing is that I'm amazing a computer science but on the day I had a migraine the day before and in the exam, I couldn't remember a thing. Now I think I've ruined everything I don't know what to say to convince my sixform to let me do A-level math, A-level physics, A-level computer science

Have a look at other colleges and sixth forms in your area with lower entry requirements, you still have passes in the subjects you want to do so you might be able to meet some minimum entry requirements in other places.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Black Rose
Have a look at other colleges and sixth forms in your area with lower entry requirements, you still have passes in the subjects you want to do so you might be able to meet some minimum entry requirements in other places.

There are no other places in the area as I live in a very small town. And here are the requirements.
either: grade 6 or better in GCSE English Language, plus grade C or better in 3 or more GCSEs or: grade 5 in GCSE English Language, with an average GCSE score of 5.5 or better from at least 4 GCSEs (excluding Maths)

Maths - you will need to have a grade 6 or better
Physics- You will need a grade B or aboveboard and take a-level maths
Computer Science- you will need a grade 5 in maths

I'm currently lost and have no idea what I should do
Original post by jam2337
There are no other places in the area as I live in a very small town. And here are the requirements.
either: grade 6 or better in GCSE English Language, plus grade C or better in 3 or more GCSEs or: grade 5 in GCSE English Language, with an average GCSE score of 5.5 or better from at least 4 GCSEs (excluding Maths)

Maths - you will need to have a grade 6 or better
Physics- You will need a grade B or aboveboard and take a-level maths
Computer Science- you will need a grade 5 in maths

I'm currently lost and have no idea what I should do

You could resit, there are November resits for maths and English this year. If you talk to the sixth form headteacher expressing your interest, they may have options for you. If you're as good as you say in computer science then perhaps your teacher can vouch for you? You might have to think about doing an alternative qualification though, and if you still want to do A-levels after then you could do that next year.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Black Rose
You could resit, there are November resits for maths and English this year. If you talk to the sixth form headteacher expressing your interest, they may have options for you. If you're as good as you say in computer science then perhaps your teacher can vouch for you? You might have to think about doing an alternative qualification though, and if you still want to do A-levels after then you could do that next year.

Okay, thank you for the answer
Reply 7
I was wondering if I should have my English Paper remarked because I got a 3 and I need at least a 4 to pass. My maths and English Lit was good which does not make sense to me, how can I get good marks in English Lit if my language is bad?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Can i resit my maths as a privete student?
Hi

I didn't do well in my gcses , will i still have a chance at getting into a good uni(russell group) ?
For A levels i'm taking r.s , eng, geog and economics what sort of careers can i try to apply for and is there any chance of me doing medicine?

I want to take maths a level privately .Can I do the same for chemistry?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by kelp
I was wondering if I should have my English Paper remarked because I got a 3 and I need at least a 4 to pass. My maths and English Lit was good which does not make sense to me, how can I get good marks in English Lit if my language is bad?

It's worth a go if you think it's odd. Talk to your school and see what they say :smile:

Original post by coltbowl
Can i resit my maths as a privete student?

As far as I know you could, it probably wouldn't be advisable though. Or at least, you'd very likely be better off doing it through a school or college and actually get some teaching for it. What are you planning on doing next year? :smile:

Original post by Rainbow13
Hi

I didn't do well in my gcses , will i still have a chance at getting into a good uni(russell group) ?
For A levels i'm taking r.s , eng, geog and economics what sort of careers can i try to apply for and is there any chance of me doing medicine?

I want to take maths a level privately .Can I do the same for chemistry?

Yep if you do well in your A levels. You could do pretty much anything humanities based with those- geography, philosophy, stuff like that. Then career wise environment, teaching, anything general. You couldn't do medicine with those though no.

You can do, it's an expensive way to go though especially chemistry as you'd need to do the practical component somewhere too, which has to be passed. They're not easy A levels by any stretch so if you're intending to self teach I really wouldn't advise it. You also need to think about timing- doing four in college and potentially two outside just isn't realistic unfortunately. I'd ask around colleges in your area and see if any will take you doing sciences if you're set on those :smile:
I got 5As 4Bs and a C at GCSE and want to do law in the future at a russel group would this be enough. And I have chosen biology geography and religious studies for a level. Will this be suitable for the course?
Reply 12
I got 2A*s, 5As, 2Bs and a C... wanted to go to a *near* top Russel group university want to know if that's possible. (Maths: 8, English Lit and Lang: 7)
Sorry, forgot I'd not replied to these :redface:

Original post by samaad1
I got 5As 4Bs and a C at GCSE and want to do law in the future at a russel group would this be enough. And I have chosen biology geography and religious studies for a level. Will this be suitable for the course?

Many applicants will have a fair bit higher, you won't be ruled out though. It is mostly down to how you do in your A levels, so work as hard as you can, talk to your teachers about how to improve, read ahead and make sure you understand things as you go along and you'll give yourself the best possible chance of doing well. Remember to have breaks and fun- and exercise- too though! Good luck :smile:

Original post by timif2
I got 2A*s, 5As, 2Bs and a C... wanted to go to a *near* top Russel group university want to know if that's possible. (Maths: 8, English Lit and Lang: 7)

Definitely possible! Those results are amazing. As I said above but try really hard next year and see how you do. That's all anyone can ask :smile:
Reply 14
I didn't do as well as hoped as I got 5A*'s 5A's and 2B's inc. 8 in Eng Lang and Maths and 7 in Eng Lit, the reason behind me saying this is because I want to apply to Cambridge Uni in the future for engineering but the problem is that although they have no requirements they would like an indicator that you do well in the subjects relevant to your uni course at GCSE, normal Maths isn't a problem for me as I got an 8/A* but F.maths is a problem as I got a B in that and I didn't get an A* for Physics so I am asking if my results are competitive to other applicants and if I should bother applying
Original post by M.IC3
I didn't do as well as hoped as I got 5A*'s 5A's and 2B's inc. 8 in Eng Lang and Maths and 7 in Eng Lit, the reason behind me saying this is because I want to apply to Cambridge Uni in the future for engineering but the problem is that although they have no requirements they would like an indicator that you do well in the subjects relevant to your uni course at GCSE, normal Maths isn't a problem for me as I got an 8/A* but F.maths is a problem as I got a B in that and I didn't get an A* for Physics so I am asking if my results are competitive to other applicants and if I should bother applying

These are amazing grades! In individual subjects you might not have done quite as well as other applicants, but you should be able to more than make up for that at A level if you work hard. Needs be you can always take a gap year and apply with your full A level grades, but you should be fine particularly if you've sat AS exams. Good luck!
From old spec I got 3A's & 3B's. From new spec I got a 6 (Basically a grade B) in Maths & a 5 (Basically a strong grade C).

I want to enter a Russel Group University (eg Birmingham) and do Business Management.

Will my GCSE grades suffice?
Reply 17
Original post by anon157
From old spec I got 3A's & 3B's. From new spec I got a 6 (Basically a grade B) in Maths & a 5 (Basically a strong grade C).

I want to enter a Russel Group University (eg Birmingham) and do Business Management.

Will my GCSE grades suffice?

Rather than trusting what people on the internet say you can check it yourself:
http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/business/business-management.aspx#CourseDetailsTab

Birmnigham want Bs in Maths and English for Business management, but I'm sure you can definitely find other unis, even in the Russel Group who would accept a 5 in Maths.
Original post by Eulogy
Rather than trusting what people on the internet say you can check it yourself:
http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/business/business-management.aspx#CourseDetailsTab

Birmnigham want Bs in Maths and English for Business management, but I'm sure you can definitely find other unis, even in the Russel Group who would accept a 5 in Maths.

Okay, Thanks for the advice. :smile:
Hello,
I was wondering if any one knew when the resit exam for OCR History b (the old A*-G) is, and whether you can resit the exams but submit your old controlled assessment.
Same goes for Physics and Chemistry.
Also, does anyone know whether the exam boards make re-sit exams more difficult because you've had more time(just worried my grade will drop)?
I would be so grateful for any help.

Quick Reply

Latest