The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
One Love
Ashton is only really bad at night times cos all the shirts go to all the townie clubs.... when you look slightly alternative all the scallies go for you, saying that though ive walked through ashton many times after a night at the witchwood and ive never had any trouble.

I once had a similar problem in Oldham, I stook out like a saw thumb, I reallly did not fit in. I always fit in well in the clubs in Manchester because all the clubbers there have as stupid hair as me and are just as big geeks :tongue:

I also found there bouncers were very rough there, I think all the provencial towns are the same. Thankfully I am only 10 minutes away from Manchester on the bus too :wink:

I think because Manchester has so many clubs you can pick and choose from the scally and alternative ones. All you get in the towns is RNB and hiphop. Anything remotely indie or rock and they are like "we can't play this nobody likes that sh*t"
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 41
amazingtrade
I once had a similar problem in Oldham, I stook out like a saw thumb, I reallly did not fit in. I always fit in well in the clubs in Manchester because all the clubbers there have as stupid hair as me and are just as big geeks :tongue:

I also found there bouncers were very rough there, I think all the provencial towns are the same. Thankfully I am only 10 minutes away from Manchester on the bus too :wink:

I think because Manchester has so many clubs you can pick and choose from the scally and alternative ones. All you get in the towns is RNB and hiphop. Anything remotely indie or rock and they are like "we can't play this nobody likes that sh*t"

True True... town's clubs are so spread out that you dont have to mix with the townies, which is nice.
Reply 42
amazingtrade
Where abouts was it?

Sorry, which bit?
Manc definitely feels more menacing than other large cities in the UK, but I dont think it actually is. Theres alot of vile places close the student area but I doubt theyre really that dangerous.
pghstochaj
Having visited Manchester on 5 or so occasions whilst my sister was there and interviews etc. I feel I am going to have to avoid EVERYWHERE!

On the walk back from my interview at UMIST to my sister's, i was half caught up in a chase with a couple of security guards and a few chavs/pikeys on a building site and an old sierra did a handbrake turn at speed next to me like an idiot - she lives 20 mins walk away! Maybe I just live in a sheltered environment.

sorry, had to reply to this even so late, i hope you were bein slightly sarcastic!

if a handbrake turn and a bit of a chase scares u, u prob shouldnt b movin to a city! what would you think if something bad actually did happen?? :tongue:

like everyones been saying if you watch out for yourself and try to avoid trouble you'll be right!

there are a few alkys that hang around the park at manchester met, but theyre just funny n the police move them on eventually :biggrin:
Reply 45
It is quite funny really. I have never had any trouble at all in Manchester because I don't go looking for it. Some times students can be cocky and start challanging people (I have witnessed this a few times and they are usualy posh southern talking southerners) I will always have to tell them to keep quiet and stay out of it. During which time WW3 errupts and I am mediating between the people looking for a fight (say the students) and the scallies.

The simple thing with scallies is be polite to them if they are polite with you, I know several drug dealers/junkies/car theives who live in this estate in Stetford I know their up to know good but I just let onto them and they never do me any harm. Some people would probably go up to them and say watch your language or somthing and moan when they get stabbed.

Of course this situation is very rare but I am sure in a lot of cases crimes can be avoided if people stop looking for trouble.

If a scally says "ere mate a'v you got a faq" justy politely say "no sorry I don't smoke" or whatever and they will move on. If you say "don't speak to me like that" then you will get yourself involved in trouble.
amazingtrade
It is quite funny really. I have never had any trouble at all in Manchester because I don't go looking for it. Some times students can be cocky and start challanging people (I have witnessed this a few times and they are usualy posh southern talking southerners) I will always have to tell them to keep quiet and stay out of it. During which time WW3 errupts and I am mediating between the people looking for a fight (say the students) and the scallies.

The simple thing with scallies is be polite to them if they are polite with you, I know several drug dealers/junkies/car theives who live in this estate in Stetford I know their up to know good but I just let onto them and they never do me any harm. Some people would probably go up to them and say watch your language or somthing and moan when they get stabbed.

Of course this situation is very rare but I am sure in a lot of cases crimes can be avoided if people stop looking for trouble.

If a scally says "ere mate a'v you got a faq" justy politely say "no sorry I don't smoke" or whatever and they will move on. If you say "don't speak to me like that" then you will get yourself involved in trouble.

surely noone is stupid enough to say that back?!?

ive never had trouble in manc, except in hulme, when i was taking photos for a project n some locals took offence n threatened to shoot me :eek: , but they were alright once i said what they were for :smile: . i could have just ran/walked off but im not that kinda person lol! id rather explain myself

but other than that, ive lived in newton heath, n now live on the edge of moston, n dont have any trouble with anyone. when i lived in oldham is a different story though!
Reply 47
Manchester certainly has a much friendlier feel once the students are in town, maybe just because of the safety in numbers thing, ie there are always other students about. Saying that, I was in Manchester all weekend and walked from the city centre to Whitworth Park alone without any problems at about 10pm and didn't have any problems!
Reply 48
I think that would just be the Fallowfield/Wilsmslow Road area though. Where I live there is no difference in term time or summer.
Reply 49
Humour not appreciated? Awww, I was going to say something about a 5m radius of me in the morning but hey, we need to be serious.

Deansgate Locks on a Friday night/morning is scarey if you're on your own; almost got punched one time over a teeny weeny misunderstanding, but it's all in the past.
Yeh i've been to manchester 4 times now and each time i've felt much safer there than in birmingham.
Reply 51
i've lived in manchester all my life and never had any trouble on any nights out or durin the day or anything...and i travel home by myself at like 3am sometimes and its fine...and i live in stretford (where that C4 programme "shameless" was filmed...nice lol) so it must be safe!!
Reply 52
I go all around To rough parts of Engalnd And Ive Been To Manchester And While I Was In Moss Side And Cheetham Hill I Didnt Get Any Trouble But I Could tell they Were Rough Places, They Had That Tense Vibe Like Anything Could Kick off Quick But They Werent As Rough As Toxteth In Liverpool That Place Is Dirty. I Talked To A 17 year Old Girl Over There Who Was raped 16 Times Every Window On Every House Was bordered Up And There Was A Fog In The Street That Never Left Very Rough Place.
manchester is much safer now than it used to be, theres police and securtiy everywhere. As lnog as you dont go in dark parks or go walking in moss side (etc) by yourself you'll be fine.
Reply 54
culture_claire
manchester is much safer now than it used to be, theres police and securtiy everywhere. As lnog as you dont go in dark parks or go walking in moss side (etc) by yourself you'll be fine.

I don't reckon Moss Side is rough though, not if you stick to the main roads, I go through moss side everyday and I have never ever had any problems on the bus going through there. I cannot say the same for many places North of the city centre like Briscoe Lane where I have had a seen a few incidents. Moss Side at night is a different story though and I would also avoiud the estates.

My only problem is while there police are busy with the city centre there are more and more armed robberies in pubs/bars in affluent south manchester suburbs, Fallowfield, Didsbury and Chorlton there three main suburbs for night life.
Reply 55
Hey people,

Trust me on this one: Edinburgh is the safest city!

There are low crime rates and not many chavs either - just wanabees.

There aren't many bad areas either - there are like 1 or 2 semi-bad areas like Niddrie but that place can be easily avoided. On that note, the news, therefore, is pretty boring.

On the other hand, Glasgow is chav-central.
Reply 56
Moss side is not safe.just late last year a teenager got shot for no reason!
yeah you might feel safe during the day but violence can erupt at anytime.
The place is really run down and has a drug problem,but it is not as bad as it use to be.
Reply 57
Are you talking about Marcus Fullaton by any chance? The lad who apparantly was innocent even though when I was at school he was up to his nick in with drugs and alchohol?

That isntance was in Fallowfield anyway. The drug problem is only a problem if you're stupid enough to get involved in the drugs. Most houses in Moss Side cost more than £100,000 now where as in Moston the same house would cost £30,000.

The problem like most things is way way over hyped. I have traveled through moss side thousands of times on the bus even at alone at 3:00am and never once witnessed any trouble.

I know Moss Side has its problems, I went to school there, but most of it seems to be hpyed by the media. The same goes for Hulme. I have seen really down places in Moston, Beswick, Wythenshaw but the madia tends to ignore these areas even though this is where the real poverty is.
Reply 58
Stay away from Moss Side, Longsight, Cheetam Hill, Gorton....
Moss Side really isn't that bad, some students live there, my boyfriend lives there and i feel completely safe...longsight is slightly worse, i certainly wouldn't go there alone at nite, but stil not as bad as everyone makes out!

Latest

Trending

Trending