The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9840
Off to Villareal tomorrow, can't wait.

Rangers should indeed be interesting next week indeed.

Sectarian stuff is to be expected, especially with the Orange Order aggro at Neds fresh in the memory.
sarforaz
Well i just used the Wiki figure which said it was £23mil, if you can give other links which say £20mil then fair enough.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/3611234.stm
Reply 9842
izaldo
Off to Villareal tomorrow, can't wait.

Rangers should indeed be interesting next week indeed.

Sectarian stuff is to be expected, especially with the Orange Order aggro at Neds fresh in the memory.

Nice :smile:

Most people don't realise that Villareal is a small town, with a population of 49,045. So as a small town the Submarines are doing very good.

Everton will receive half of the £20m fee immediately, with the other half due on 1 August 2005.

A further £3m will follow if Rooney is still a United player by 30 June 2007.

Further payments could follow based on whether he renews his contract, and also depending on his appearances at international level.

So im assuming Utd have paid £23mil for buying him and then another £7mil for winning the league/CL/appearances etc?
Reply 9844

Well the Wiki figure of £23m is taken from United's financial report, which is available to the public as they are a PLC. It was updated in hindsight, whereas that article from the BBC was made instantly.

http://dps.twiihosting.net/manutd/doc/content/doc_10_139.pdf

United's financial report there states that an unconditional sum of £23m was paid upon the player's registration :yy:
sarforaz
Everton will receive half of the £20m fee immediately, with the other half due on 1 August 2005.

A further £3m will follow if Rooney is still a United player by 30 June 2007.

Further payments could follow based on whether he renews his contract, and also depending on his appearances at international level.

So im assuming Utd have paid £23mil for buying him and then another £7mil for winning the league/CL/appearances etc?

No, he started at £20m like it says in the first sentence with a further maximum possible £7m contingent payments. Of this £7m, £3m would be paid if he continued to be a United player 3 years down the line, and then £4m depending on trophies and appearances.
Reply 9846
Barça
Nice :smile:

Most people don't realise that Villareal is a small town, with a population of 49,045. So as a small town the Submarines are doing very good.

I do! hence we're staying 2 nights in Barca and going to Villareal on match day then staying in Castellon de La Plana on the night of the game. Its unreal how such a small town houses such a successful team. It's mad enough getting off at Blackburn train station, after looking left and right for sheep :wink: that they have a Premiership winning side in their town.

Villareal is smaller than Runcorn.
Reply 9847
izaldo
I do! hence we're staying 2 nights in Barca and going to Villareal on match day then staying in Castellon de La Plana on the night of the game. Its unreal how such a small town houses such a successful team. It's mad enough getting off at Blackburn train station, after looking left and right for sheep :wink: that they have a Premiership winning side in their town.

Villareal is smaller than Runcorn.

Lucky bastard :hmmm:

I know they've done really well over the years. Don't know where Runcorn is but the name made me chuckle :laugh:
Laevis
Well the Wiki figure of £23m is taken from United's financial report, which is available to the public as they are a PLC. It was updated in hindsight, whereas that article from the BBC was made instantly.

http://dps.twiihosting.net/manutd/doc/content/doc_10_139.pdf

United's financial report there states that an unconditional sum of £23m was paid upon the player's registration :yy:

Ferguson on Rooney:

"We went as high as we could in terms of price. Twenty million [the figure could rise to pounds 27m] is a hell of a lot of money for an 18-year-old, it's twice what we paid for Ronaldo. Transfer prices have gone down slightly over the last year since we bought Cristiano, so we've paid a lot of money for a boy."

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4159/is_20040905/ai_n12759231 (Source: The Independent) :yy:
Reply 9849
Throwback
Ferguson on Rooney:

"We went as high as we could in terms of price. Twenty million [the figure could rise to pounds 27m] is a hell of a lot of money for an 18-year-old, it's twice what we paid for Ronaldo. Transfer prices have gone down slightly over the last year since we bought Cristiano, so we've paid a lot of money for a boy."

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4159/is_20040905/ai_n12759231 (Source: The Independent) :yy:

Err...what's the point in quoting that?

I've given you direct evidence from United's financial report. Financial reports are official documents and backed up with proofs. It is 100% more reliable than Ferguson blabbing on.

I don't know why you have so much trouble accepting that it was £23m upfront and the rest in clauses, even when the evidence is right in front of your face.

No doubt you'll just go find another source and quote that to me now, again ignoring the evidence I've provided lol :rolleyes: :p:
Reply 9850
Perhaps he had a signing on fee? :ninja:
Laevis
Err...what's the point in quoting that?

I've given you direct evidence from United's financial report. Financial reports are official documents and backed up with proofs. It is 100% more reliable than Ferguson blabbing on.

I don't know why you have so much trouble accepting that it was £23m upfront and the rest in clauses, even when the evidence is right in front of your face.

No doubt you'll just go find another source and quote that to me now, again ignoring the evidence I've provided lol :rolleyes: :p:

What page on that lengthy report is the supposed evidence on? I don't have time to read the whole thing lol :redface:.
Reply 9852
Throwback
What page on that lengthy report is the supposed evidence on? I don't have time to read the whole thing lol :redface:.

Control + F and then "Rooney" :p:

Page 15.
mhsc
Perhaps he had a signing on fee? :ninja:

His agent got £1.5mil... :woo:
Reply 9854
Barça
Lucky bastard :hmmm:

I know they've done really well over the years. Don't know where Runcorn is but the name made me chuckle :laugh:

Aye. Couldn't resist that really - this time tommorrow I'll be slurping Estrella Damm in the Gothic Quarter. I've been waiting for some time now!

Apparently the European Championship trophy is getting displayed at El Madrigal - All the fans in the ground can celebrate that!
Laevis
Control + F and then "Rooney" :p:

Page 15.

Ooh thanks for the contol f tip, never knew you could do that :redface:

And fair enough, I guess it's only £4m in add-ons then.
Reply 9856
Throwback

:top2:

Holding Alt and then pressing 156 also brings up a pound sign :eek: Never knew that, I've been googling "pound sign" for a few weeks now :jester: :colondollar:

sarforaz
His agent got £1.5mil... :woo:

I honestly think I could have done that job :frown:
Throwback

And fair enough, I guess it's only £4m in add-ons then.

Could still be £7mil in add-ons. Probably £4mil for appearances + winning the league but then another £3mil for the CL. However SAF just quoted £27mil because he never thought he'd win another CL? :p:

He was still bloomin' expensive for an 18 year old!!
sarforaz
Could still be £7mil in add-ons. Probably £4mil for appearances + winning the league but then another £3mil for the CL. However SAF just quoted £27mil because he never thought he'd win another CL? :p:

He was still bloomin' expensive for an 18 year old!!

As well as paying Everton a guaranteed £20m, rising to £27m depending on performance-related clauses, United's board has authorised what is understood to be the biggest payment ever received by an English-based agent.

The seven-figure sum banked by Stretford's Formation Group Plc, formerly ProActive Sports Management, shows how much money is being drained from the game at a time when the vast majority of professional clubs are in financial difficulty. It also means that, having recruited Louis Saha, Alan Smith and Gabriel Heinze, United have sanctioned payments in the region of £3.5m in agent fees since the turn of the year - more than Sir Alex Ferguson has earned himself.

Everton's anguish at losing their best player will be tempered by the cheque for £10m they received yesterday, with the same to follow on August 1 next year. They will also receive a £3m "contingency payment" if Rooney is still a United player in three years and a maximum £4m in performance-related top-ups.
For example, United will pay Everton £1m if they win the Champions League, £500,000 if they are runners-up. Winning the Premiership will cost them £500,000 and for finishing runners-up they will pay £250,000. An FA Cup success has been priced at £250,000 and another £1m will go Everton's way when Rooney has won 40 England caps. Should he sign a contract extension, Everton will receive £1.5m.

Rooney will therefore cost United a maximum of £27m, though Everton will also be entitled to 25% of any future profit on his sale. The Everton chairman Bill Kenwright has therefore effectively edged the deal as far as he could towards meeting the club's initial £30m of the England striker, now the most expensive teenager in world football.

In an attempt to prevent Stretford trying to sell Rooney again, so making even more money from his most prized client, United will reward his company with another £500,000 if Rooney honours his contract

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2004/sep/01/newsstory.manchesterunited
Didn't help being English and his goals at the Euros. I often wonder what might have been had he not been injured against Portugal :rolleyes:

Latest