The Student Room Group

First REJECTION!!! ouch...

Uh - OHHHHHH!

I recieved my first rejection for medicine today...gosh, it's hard! :s-smilie: I had a moment of sadness but hey, they did send me a list of other courses I'd be considered for - and one of them has pulled me in :rolleyes: ! MEDICAL NEUROSCIENCE...

How does / did everyone feel about their first ever rejection???

Scroll to see replies

Dont do it mate....its a slap on the face....you just got rejected!!..dont take an alternative course.....waste of time
Im guessing brighton turned you down..same here...what were your A level predictions and gcses if i may ask....
Reply 2
I'm sorry to hear that but keep your head up you still have 3 choices left :smile:
Reply 3
Probably can't really comment, I was lucky enough to get my rejection after an offer from my 1st choice. I will echo what others have said, try not to let it get you down, you are not out of the race yet. My best advice would be to be try and identify reasons as to why you were rejected, in case there is anyting you can do about it.

Also, in contrast to krisstassen, i'd say to give their offer of an alternative serious thought, I'm not saying give up on medicine, but it won't hurt to give yourself as many options as possible should the worst happen :smile:
Reply 4
munkeybrayne
Uh - OHHHHHH!

I recieved my first rejection for medicine today...gosh, it's hard! :s-smilie: I had a moment of sadness but hey, they did send me a list of other courses I'd be considered for - and one of them has pulled me in :rolleyes: ! MEDICAL NEUROSCIENCE...

How does / did everyone feel about their first ever rejection???

Where was it from? Don't worry just be optimistic about your other choices!
J00ni...the reason I said dont go for an alternative course is because I have a friend doing that...and it is definitely not desirable..from the experiences I have heard..much better of hoping for your other 3 unis..or declining everything and trying through UCAS extra..or reapplying next year
Reply 6
maybe the op doesn't really want to do another course, but what's the harm in having it as an option come the summer? I'm not saying go and do it, but why limit your options?
Reply 7
first rejection is nothing. when you get your third or forth is the time to be upset. :rolleyes:
J00ni...why go through a 3 year degree so you can do a 4 year graduate entry!!.....it is also much more hard work and more stressful......
If you dont get in and want to still do medicine..then I say no question..reapply next year.and spend the year boosting your grades/getting work experience/becoming a better candidate...
Reply 9
krisstassen
J00ni...why go through a 3 year degree so you can do a 4 year graduate entry!!.....it is also much more hard work and more stressful......
If you dont get in and want to still do medicine..then I say no question..reapply next year.and spend the year boosting your grades/getting work experience/becoming a better candidate...

Definately agree with this.
Reply 10
krisstassen

Applying for this second course doesn't mean that they don't still have their other three applications if also doesn't mean that they are going to accept it. However having this back up course means that if come may they don't have any offers they will have a wider variety of options. What is the harm in that.
Reply 11
randdom
Applying for this second course doesn't mean that they don't still have their other three applications if also doesn't mean that they are going to accept it. However having this back up course means that if come may they don't have any offers they will have a wider variety of options. What is the harm in that.

thanks randdom, that was exactly my point
My point is
why????
I would rather take the year with no where to go..and boost my application with better grades/experience/charity work and the like........then go and do some 3 year degree....settle at uni.....do more and more exams....pass the degree...then apply for a 4 year med course......its literally twice the work..and 2 years longer

Also..if you have no where to go..you can apply through UCAS extra........
rrrgh

I can't imagine the point here being any simpler. What if you muck up your A2s and don't have grades with which you can competitively re-apply to medical school, but can take up that back-up course with? I know I'd rather take the back-up in that case, re-taking A-levels and then re-applying to medical school would cut down the placess to which you can apply by a hell of a lot. Then, with your grades brought up, you're going to be disadvantaged against everybody else because you re-sat your A-levels. Why would you not want as many options as possible open to you? And about UCAS extra - I don't see how a course as sought-after as medicine would have extra places up for grabs.
Reply 14
krisstassen
My point is
why????
I would rather take the year with no where to go..and boost my application with better grades/experience/charity work and the like........then go and do some 3 year degree....settle at uni.....do more and more exams....pass the degree...then apply for a 4 year med course......its literally twice the work..and 2 years longer

Also..if you have no where to go..you can apply through UCAS extra........

You see this is what you keep saying. You would do this etc but you are not the OP. Applying to this course will give them an extra back up. They can still go to any of the other medical schools that may offer them a place and they can still withdraw their application to this course if they choose that they want to apply again next year. This gives them more options.

Also with so many medical schools offering the option of an intercalated degree now adays theoretically going the graduate route is only one extra year. Though it is more expensive and more competitive.
Reply 15
i felt rubbish after my first rejection for about a week but it set me up for the 3 rejections which gradually followed. by the time i got my 3rd rejection, i didn't even care anymore.
ph9
i felt rubbish after my first rejection for about a week but it set me up for the 3 rejections which gradually followed. by the time i got my 3rd rejection, i didn't even care anymore.

when i read that i just had to say awwww! that sounds horrible- i have one rejection and i already feel terrible. but it happens anyway. and to the OP dont worry, and i would consider taking anything else just in case- you never know how A" will turn out- hard papers could always throw you off course- ( im sure its unlikely- but have your options open). i was thinking of taking up the uni's offer of pharmacy or something.
:smile:
Reply 17
lil_dreamer90
when i read that i just had to say awwww! that sounds horrible- i have one rejection and i already feel terrible.

lol it actually turned out to be one of the best things that ever happened to me as i'm on a gap year now and having a grrrrreat time. i'd have never thought i could, mind. back in the day (well, a year ago) the idea of a gap year made me sick

don't worry about your rejection so much though i know that's easier said than done. you just have to put it to the back of your mind and keep focused on your studies. best of luck with your other choices anyhow
Reply 18
my first rejection was from Cambridge without interview
it felt crap - but i thought to myself "o well, i was never gonna go there anyway and it was probli hardest choice to get a place at"
so i look to the future now - :biggrin: NEWCASTLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :P
Reply 19
Don't worry about it OP, it happens. Part of the fun of the game (Well, I use the words loosely). There's still till April and three more applications in the running. Chin up old boy and all that.

Latest

Trending

Trending