The Student Room Group
Reply 1
No..You don't have a computer..You can give handouts to the partner if you want, you can sit/stand...stand upside down, as long as you are comfortable...The key is the impact you make (delivery) and how you tackle the questions afterwards, the content to be honest doesn't make too much of a difference..PM if you want more help
Reply 2
Rbizzle17
Hello all, just a quick question to those who have had a KPMG assessment centre.

When doing the presentation to a partner do you do it in Powerpoint or something? I cant find it stated anywhere how your actually supposed to do it. If it is powerpoint do you bring your presentation in on a memory stick??

Any help would be much appreciated.

No powerpoint. Just do it off the top of your head or take in a few written notes. 10 minutes isn't a long time.

The most important thing is to remember the business focus in what you are saying.
Reply 3
Ditto what's already been said. You won't have access to a computer, so preparing a powerpoint presentation won't do you a lot of good.

You can make handouts if you like, and give a copy to the partner interviewing you. Remember that you're not being judged for your IT skills, so you don't have to design anything all fancy looking on a computer and print that out.

The emphasis is on the delivery of the presentation - how well you've put together your arguments, how confident your delivery is, how well you respond to questions, etc. Best of luck. :biggrin:
Reply 4
Ah thanks for all the replies guys that really helps. How many people did you have to give your presentation in front of? Did you manage to secure positions at the company?
Reply 5
Rbizzle17
Ah thanks for all the replies guys that really helps. How many people did you have to give your presentation in front of? Did you manage to secure positions at the company?

1 person (the partner conducting your interview), and yes.
Reply 6
You just give your presentation to the partner. It's not nearly as stressful as the first interview, because the format of the interview is much less rigid, and as the partner doesn't know your topic in advance, you walk into the room with the upper hand.

Yes, I got an offer. Took it, and am happily working for KPMG now. :biggrin:
Reply 7
Thats awesome, congrats to both of you!

A presentation infront of one person should be okay! Are you both in Audit?
Reply 8
Rbizzle17
Thats awesome, congrats to both of you!

A presentation infront of one person should be okay! Are you both in Audit?

Hell, no. I like working 9 to 5. I'm in tax. :wink:

I take it you've applied for audit? Don't let me put you off. There are perks to being an auditor (free takeaways for example:wink:), it's just that the hours are longer and I like my work-life balance the way it is right now.
Reply 9
No i've actually applied for an IT Advisory position, I just assumed you were in Audit as thats where the majority of people are. 9-5 sounds like wicked hours! I thought they'd be longer than that in all divisions!!
Reply 10
Rbizzle17
No i've actually applied for an IT Advisory position, I just assumed you were in Audit as thats where the majority of people are. 9-5 sounds like wicked hours! I thought they'd be longer than that in all divisions!!

If that's where the majority of people are, I wouldn't know, because every time I need something from audit, no one is there. They're out at client sites so often, their floor is a bit of a ghost town... :wink:

I am pretty much working 9 to 5 at the moment. I'm probably going to have to do a wee bit of overtime just before Christmas because of when our deadlines are for filing papers, but on an average day, I'm getting away just after 5. And because I'm in one of the regional offices, I don't have the hellish London commute that everyone in the big smoke has to contend with.

Pretty happy with my lot. :biggrin:

Hope your presentation goes well. KPMG is an awesome firm to work for.
Reply 11
Sorry to drag this thread back up. Bit confused about this presentation. Asks me to present about a firm and how KPMG could help it. Was wondering about how specific to be regarding the help KPMG could offer? I'm applying for tax so should i be specific about tax or other services as well.

Any help much appreciated :smile:
Reply 12
It depends on your background I guess. If you have done an internship in tax then they will probably expect a few concepts with which you are familiar but the majority of people are unlikely to have an accounting background/degree as this is what they are going to teach you. 10 minutes is not long at all especially once you account for the intro and conclusion. My advice would be:

> pick a company that genuinely interests you and is not a huge company that the partner is likely to know all about (such as one of the supermarkets)
> concentrate on the bigger picture as opposed to tax exclusively
> structure your presentation and try and break it down into 4-6 headings so that the partner has a clear understanding of what you have said

For instance take Dyson vacuum cleaners. In order to help it grow/ develop there are several things you could do: increase the product range (eg new air blade hand driers), increase production, increase exports/ enter new markets, take over other firms, outsource production, get a listing on AIM/FTSE and grow organically through further investment in production/ R&D.

They want to see that you have thought about whatever company you choose to present on (mine was not on dyson). Also if you can, try and actually present it to someone with a background in business. This will not only give you practice at presenting it and timing, but make you more confident. Get them to ask you questions so you get experience of thinking on your feet and can anticipate likely questions: 'what do you think the biggest challenge is facing dyson?', 'what happens when it looses its patent?' etc, etc

hope this helps, good luck
Reply 13
Thanks for that :smile: I was coming round to that conclusion myself as it states on the website that i wouldn't be assessed on technical grounds as such. I guess the key is focussing on ways in which the company I have chosen could improve and then making sure I apply KPMG services to those improvements.

Latest

Trending

Trending