The Student Room Group

Cheapest university for International students in UK?

Hey guys .. I actually want to get a Bachelors of Engineering degree in Telecommunication or Mechanical or similar fields. I have searched quite alot and found almost all universities to be a heck lot expensive for international students. So can anyone tell me the cheapest university for the degrees i mentioned?

I had applied through UCAS last year and had got in 5 of the 6 universities i applied and i hadnt got an offer from Imperial. I had also got a scholarship from Warwick for 3000 Pounds off for the first year but even then it was really not suitable for me to go to UK as the universities i had applied to were too expensive.

So Im guessing if i can get in a cheap university and maybe get in a scholarship too maybe and then maybe i can afford it so this year im thinking of giving it a shot again. Help me out guys i'd really appreciate it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I forgot to mention my AS and A2 results .. AS: General Paper B 87 Computing 95 A Maths 93 A and Physics 91 A... A2 result: Computing 86 B !! :frown: .. Maths 90 A Physics 95 A :biggrin:

Also i know that there aren't any help financially for international students but is there someway that i can get a loan or any sort of financial help? ..
Reply 2
The Guardian published a table of international vs home student fees at various universities not too long ago.
It's a very bad idea to choose a university based on how expensive it is. Whichever one you go to you'll be in a lot of debt so you might as well try to get into the best one regardless of cost.

Good luck.
Reply 4
Thats exactly what i had thought thats why i applied to Imperial .. Manchester .. Warwick.. etc etc .. and then i had chosen Manchester and warwick. Warwick was my first choice and Manchester my 2nd choice in Ucas. I had to reject all the others. Even they turned out to be too expensive so my best shot is to either skip going abroad which i really want to do :frown: .. Or i could do Bachelors from a cheap University and earn on my own and try my best to do my Masters from a better university. Believe me if i had the money.. Why wouldnt i pay 12 thousand pounds an year and go to Manchester? :P .. Plus then ill also get to see Man United play :biggrin:
Reply 5
_ÆNIMA_
It's a very bad idea to choose a university based on how expensive it is. Whichever one you go to you'll be in a lot of debt so you might as well try to get into the best one regardless of cost.

Good luck.

Internationals can't get student loans, though, so I'd imagine that would make the amount you have to pay a bit more of an issue...
no, we can't get student loans.
I know how you feel OP, the international fees are really expensive and on top of that you need money for accommodation, lifestyle etc

I would agree on that you don't apply for university based only on tuition costs as that would mean you're ignoring the reputation of the universities as well as the standard of the course offered.

You could try applying for your own local scholarships on top of the university scholarships, maybe then you can get there? :smile:
Reply 7
Quite a bit more of an issue actually. 8000-12000 pounds an year and that doesnt even include your living expenses which at the very least would be 6000 pounds. A normal international student cant afford 15000 pounds an year.
Reply 8
"You could try applying for your own local scholarships on top of the university scholarships, maybe then you can get there? "

Tried already .. Couldnt find any. Most of the local scholarships are for postgraduates :frown: ..
Hmm.. that is quite sucky. Have you tried applying for the student loan from home?
Reply 10
Again all the student loans are for those students studying in the universities within the country.

Im hoping this time i would apply to universities which are actually in my range which would be around 5000-8000 pounds an year and hope that i get a scholarship from that university too.
Reply 11
Sorry for the double post but let me explain my situation.

Finished A levels this June .. Had applied through Ucas .. and i told the story of what happened with that. Then i applied to a couple of the best Universities over here and i wasnt able to get in them. The reason i think is that ive done O and A levels and the entry tests for those universities were based on the Local examination System which sucks :P. So i didnt get in either of the best 2 universities in here. I got frustrated and decided to not go to university all together but instead decided to join an Institute for Chartered Accountancy because CA over here get alot of salary. Its been 3 months since i joined that Institute .. They're teaching Economics and Law along with Accounting and Quantitative Techniques(stats and maths). I am finding Economics and Law extreeeeeeeemly boring and its boring me to death. Now im realizing that i've taken a pretty big wrong step. I wanted to do engineering my whole life and now i am stuck doing something i dont even like. So am sitting here pretty confused about what to do :P
There aren't any private loans you could use? I know they kind of suck, but I'm going to have to be using them, considering my parents' credit is too horrible for me to get a US Federal loan.
you will not find anay uni offering you an engineering course with less than £12k tuition. believe me. the best you can do is i think is just pay the fees term by term and work jobs to earn the rest, if not, you're stuck really sorry.

oh you could independently apply for a loan and if you did get the loan, just remember that the repayment rates won't make the loan worth it.
Reply 14
La trampa i dont think thats true.. Im not sure but i remember clearly last year when i applied to warwick .. It wasnt as expensive as the other universities which is why i had choosen them. I think they were around 8-9 thousand Pounds for the engineering course i had selected. Plus i had got 3000 Pounds scholarship from them too.
Reply 15
Why not just go to IIT, it is probably the best technology institute in the world, and the tuition fees are very low.
Reply 16
And IIT is?

And yeah if you guys could also recommend any cheap Universities in Canada or US or Scotland or any other country where they speak English :tongue: .. for Telecommunications or Mechanical Engineering that would be great but my first priority is England. I dont know why i think ill feel alot more comfortable in England rather then in Canada or US. I probably have that attraction to UK because of football :P
Reply 17
Possibly either the Indian Institutes of Technology or the Illinois Institute of Technology... IIT could be either ^^
Reply 18
yeah Indian inst. of tech, they're pretty damn good.
alamode
And IIT is?

And yeah if you guys could also recommend any cheap Universities in Canada or US or Scotland or any other country where they speak English :tongue: .. for Telecommunications or Mechanical Engineering that would be great but my first priority is England. I dont know why i think ill feel alot more comfortable in England rather then in Canada or US. I probably have that attraction to UK because of football :P

that's with the scholarship though, which is only refunded to you at the end of the year. they make you pay the full £12k or whatever,and then they pay you back the £3k at the end of the year. probably an international undergradute scholarship right? and then the only way for you to get it in the next year, is if you acheive a certain grade in your previous year, before they'll award it to you in the next year. like i said, i doubt you'll find any uk university that will offer an engineering course for less than £12k. it's a science that involves lots of work, lab work etc, the money for all that has to come somewhere and since home students don't pay it, international kids have to.
Have you tried any malaysian unis? like IMU? they're pretty world class and they offer transfers for students to go abroad to their partner unis everywhere in the world. or you can look for a uni nearer home maybe that does the same thing?

goodluck with your search though. i know how it feels to pay £15k,parent's having to pay through their noses etc >.<

Latest

Trending

Trending