The Student Room Group

Am I clever enough to do Geology?

I have A levels in Geography, Geology and Biology achieving ABB and have AA at Science and B in Maths GCSE.

I want to get into the minerals/extractive industries so am looking at Geology degrees at Soton and Portsmouth as well as the Engineering Geology and Geotechnics at Portsmouth as well. I meet the entry requirements but can anyone tell me if they think I am clever enough to achieve a decent degree with my subjects and grades!!:confused:

Also which Uni would people recommend for these sort of subjects?
Reply 1
Being clever doesn't have an awful lot to do with it; some of the most intelligent people I know have been putting no effort into their degrees. If you're willing to put the work in, you should be fine. Your exam results show that you can perform academically.

Whoa. I didn't realise I was in the Geography & Earth Sciences section...
Reply 2
My friend has applied for Geology at Birmingham, Leeds, Manchester and Bristol. He's predicted A, B and B/C in Geography, Biology and Chemistry and has already recieved 2 offers. You sound much "cleverer" than he is :p: so I really would not worry! I can't really say much about you achieving a "decent" degree in Geology because I don't know enough about the course, but I imagine what you get at the end really depends on the effort/work you put it.
Reply 3
Geology is a really undersubscribed degree at the moment; universities will probably be wanting students to apply for their earth science courses simply because of the undersuubscription -- plus, it's actually been statistically proven that field geologists and geophysicists are in the shortest supply on the market. I haven't started a geology degree yet, but as long as you're flexible with science and elementary mathematics (unless it's geophysics) as a whole, i.e. you can easily adapt to physics/chem/bio if needed, it won't be too much of a hassle on your brain power :p:
Reply 4
I had the same grades as you at A-Level, though in slightly different subjects (Geography, Physics and Maths) and I'm having no real trouble. Go for it mate.

Oh, and Keele. Really awesome department. Really awesome.
Reply 5
id say Southampton over Portsmouth any day (no bias cause im at southampton, just cause its in the top 80 in the world and not sucky like portsmouth :p:)

with those grades though i would consider looking at bristol and imperial as well, though soton is good

edit: and you get legendary lecturers like dorrik stow, check out the awesome stow formations :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending