The Student Room Group

How much do you get paid at 16?

I never realised how much variation there is between some jobs lol. Like where I am working it is 4.25 and its a shoe shop but the cinema I might be going to is a fiver an hour. However, a friend of mine said she was getting a pay rise from 3.60 to 3.70 an hour from a sports shop, which got me wondering if a lot of places really do bare minimum wage?
Just a curiosity thing :smile:
xx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I work at a Out of Hours clinic and im getting £5.30 per hour. Im 16. it does vary quite a bit. One of my friends works at a bank and gets £6.50 per hour
When I was 16 I got paid £4.89 an hour at Waitrose (its gone up alot since then).
I reckon about £4.50 - £5.00 is average and anything above that is just a bonus.
Reply 3
I think im fairly luckly as im working at HMRC and im getting £6.62 an hour plus 10% on anything worked after 8pm which is 7.5 hours a week for me
Reply 4
im 17 and get £3.50...im being ripped off......
Reply 5
im 17 and get £4.45 + tips, when i was 16 in got £3.50
when i was 16 i was on £6.31, and i'm still getting paid that now.
i will be getting paid £3.95 an hour, and i'm 17
its the same for 16 year olds i think i'll ask on the induction day :smile:
Reply 8
at 16/17 i got paid 3.90 and 4.50
when i was 16 i got £3.00 an hour :s-smilie: so i hope its alot better for you now
Reply 10
at my summer job i was getting £6 per hour
now i work at peacocks (im still 16 btw) and im getting £5.31 an hour but it varies depends on where you work..some get more some get less..
Reply 11
6.50 an hour...

but i only work 2 hours a week... :frown:
Reply 12
Hmmm I was getting 5.50 - then moved jobs and went up to 6.57, which around christmas went up to 7.50 plus tips. Our wages were linked to the performance of the restaurant... this was when I was 16 too! :smile:
Reply 13
blahhh
im 17 and get £3.50...im being ripped off......

Same. Great, isn't it?
Reply 14
At 16 I didnt have a "regular" pay structure.... it varied from week to week. Learnt afterwards that the boss was well known for being tight with his ££ and paying crap wages. Now employs 6 Polish lads instead. At 17+18 I was on £6ph but doing average of 60 hour weeks. At 19 I wont be working for less than £7ph + time and half over time, if I go back to the same employer.
Reply 15
TakingBackJaney<3
I never realised how much variation there is between some jobs lol. Like where I am working it is 4.25 and its a shoe shop but the cinema I might be going to is a fiver an hour. However, a friend of mine said she was getting a pay rise from 3.60 to 3.70 an hour from a sports shop, which got me wondering if a lot of places really do bare minimum wage?
Just a curiosity thing :smile:
xx

Are you 16? You need to be 18 to work at a cinema.

I was on £3.85/£4.25 at McD's until I was reaching 18 then I left and started on £4.95 at Cineworld. It's now gone up to £5.05
Reply 16
boys-play-rock-and-roll
Same. Great, isn't it?

i quit on tuesday :biggrin: lol the hassle i got from the place, for £3.50 it wasnt worth it!
Reply 17
Im on £4.88 an hour on sainsburys checkouts and im 16.
Reply 18
When i started at tesco 3 years ago i was 16 and on about £4.20 an hour. Im 19 now and getting £7.70 - and time and a half sundays.
At Toys R Us I get £4.50 an hour, but my friend gets £4.70.

We're the same age... what's going on here?

Latest

Trending

Trending