The Student Room Group

can i apply to do maths, with a medical personal statement?

I have recently applied to study medicine at a number of universities in the UK. However i havey decided that due to the competetive nature of medicine i may not get into a degree programme. as a result i've decided to substitute my fifth choice to study biomedical science at kings with a maths degree as i feel i would enjoy maths more than biomedical science.

my question is whether UCL/imperial/kcl (wanna stay in london) will still consider me for maths even though my personal statement is more geared towards medicine?

with regards to grades, i've got an A in maths and two a's in AS bio and chem and am predicted an A in FMaths and two A's bio and chem
Reply 1
I'm sure I've heard of people getting offers for physics with a medical personal statement before now. They'll probably realise you want to do med, but are using maths as your backup option and probably give you an offer anyway. My guess is they'll probably just go on your grades to make your offer.

That said, I think those London unis in particular are quite competitive for maths, so...
Reply 2
I think it might be possible, but as has been said here before; a badly targetted personal statement is more problematic the better the uni.

Having said that, they might just interview you, and that would give you another chance.

I'd probably say KCL is the least competitive of those three; but obviously it's up to you, don't apply for something you don't want to do.
Reply 3
i absolutely want to do maths (if i dont get in for medicine :smile:). to be honest i only applied to doe bio medical science as i foolishly thought that it would allow me to apply for graduate medicine. i now realise if i spend three years doing sometihng i love, then the graduate admissions tutor might still accept me.

that being said, i havnt been rejected for medicine from a single uni, yet.

Latest