The Student Room Group
Catching rugby ball

Opening window for brick

They might ask to see you pat your head and rub your tummy (co-ordination)

Fluency in one of: German/French/Sanskrit/South Slavic/(maybe Spanish this year?)

Oh they want to test your endurance too but that changes every year (anyone remember when that kid was in the paper because he burst a blood vessel? hahaha)

Erm no, nobody has ever been admitted if they haven't studied their subject, especially if they weren't given the option. They just assume you should have picked a better school that gave you the option and send you off.

...really, what do you think? Your constant questions are getting ridiculous. You have as much information available to you as home students, yet you seem to think there is some chalice of knowledge that will grant you interview success.

- Use search

- Use your initiative

- Use google

:rolleyes:
Reply 2
Please, please use your common sense. Cambridge will test your academic ability, and more than anything, they will test your potential to learn. They basically want people who would benefit from their style of teaching. Yes, they might bring up your AS/IB/whatever-syllabus, but it's not like whoever knows their syllabus best wins (though it definitely helps). In the end, you still need to apply what you know to new situations and not just stop after regurgitating the facts you've been taught at school.

You mention that you were deprived of the opportunity to study Economics; I assume that this will have come across on your SAQ? So they will know, right? Therefore, they won't ask you about a subject you're obviously not studying, especially if you were "deprived" of that opportunity. So yes, some questions may concern your study at A-level/IB, but only if you're actually studying that subject. They might also ask you about other subjects you're taking (I'm not sure). You should anyhow expect questions on Economics. They won't go, "Well, I see you haven't been given the opportunity to study Economics at school, so... erm... I don't have any questions for you. See ya!".

You know, I'm applying for English and I'm from the EU. I'm not studying English Literature at school, because that course doesn't exist. As far as I know, there are foreign students studying English at my chosen college, and they didn't study English literature at school either. So - they will assess your potential and not just what you already know!

Just stay calm and use your common sense, OK? :smile:
Reply 3
Leprechaun
Also, was anyone on TSR admited even without studying their desired course in high school?

All the medics :smile:

Imagine an A-level in Medicine being dreamt up :rolleyes:
It would be like A-level law though.

On the black list.
Reply 5
Leprechaun
I heard that many of the questions concern your study at A-level/IB. But, as I was deprived of the opportunity to opt for Economics, I don't know what kind of questions to expect really.

What other types of questions might they ask? Also, was anyone on TSR admited even without studying their desired course in high school?

With regard to the type of questions check out Oxbridge admissions (which you might have done already IIRC) - also on there I believe there's a couple of people who've been admitted without having studied Economics at school.

As far as types of questions go, no one can tell you specifically (obviously), my advice to you (as always) is to stay calm and keep up to date with current news. I personally think as you've not studied the subject it might've been useful to go through an AS textbook or something just to get the basics down, it might be a bit late for that though.

At the end of the day, they'll choose questions appropriately, and ones that will assess your thinking which is what they're interested in.
Reply 6
If it's any help, I had a PPE interview at Oxford two years ago (almost to the day!). I hadn't studied economics before. The questions they asked were almost entirely centred around readily visible issues and current affairs. They then pushed me beyond what I had told them to see whether I could think like an economist. The key thing they were looking for I believe was an ability to extrapolate. Another thing I would note is that they asked how my interest had developed, and I was able to talk about some of the books I had read.

I hope that is of some use to you. I was rejected, but as someone who hadn't studied economics before, I can tell you that at my Oxbridge interview, they didn't seem to anticipate any prior knowledge of economic methods or anything of that sort.
Totally Tom
It would be like A-level law though.

On the black list.

A bit like human biology?
Reply 8
First of all, I really appreciate those of you offering help. I believe this is the reason for TSR to be created, that is, to help each other out.

I know the question appears ridiculous at beginning but can't you consider it for a second?

Yes, Cambridge tests academic ability above all, but what is academic ability? It is, for the most part, based on what you learned in school. Therefore, even though they will certainly aim at your analytical abilities etc., much of the interview I presume will equally involve crucial knowledge.

I already researched quite a lot, and that is precisely what prompted me to post this question: most of the topics during the interviews I discovered seem to center applying LEARNED theories to real life situations. Although it is arguable that this may have resulted from the applicants' previous experience in the course, I have not yet come over many cases in which knowledge is not essential.

You see, the reason that I'm asking is because this IS my RESEARCH. My questions my appear absurd, but believe me, I feel no less when browsing through the American University section of the forum; therefore, let’s be a little mutually tolerant shall we? And as Einstein once famously put, common sense is just a collection of prejudice one gathers by the age of 18.

By the way, I do think that knowledge is the gold-crust on the chalice to success. After all, knowledge is virtue, and virtue, knowledge.
Reply 9
Leprechaun
First of all, I really appreciate those of you offering help. I believe this is the reason for TSR to be created, that is, to help each other out.

I know the question appears ridiculous at beginning but can't you consider it for a second?

Yes, Cambridge tests academic ability above all, but what is academic ability? It is, for the most part, based on what you learned in school. Therefore, even though they will certainly aim at your analytical abilities etc., much of the interview I presume will equally involve crucial knowledge.

I already researched quite a lot, and that is precisely what prompted me to post this question: most of the topics during the interviews I discovered seem to center applying LEARNED theories to real life situations. Although it is arguable that this may have resulted from the applicants' previous experience in the course, I have not yet come over many cases in which knowledge is not essential.

I don't know what subject you're applying for, but "knowledge" wasn't tested in my English interview. I was tested on the way I thought - not "learned theories", mind you, just the way I absorbed information, processed it, and then formed answers based on it. Frankly, if knowledge were what was tested, I wouldn't have gotten in, and I daresay others who would've been rejected would. At this stage, at least for Arts subjects, where students are coming from so many varied backgrounds, it'd be self-defeating to accept candidates on simply "what they know". To be blunt, anyone with a good teacher, a decent learning environment and access to a library can gain knowledge without too much trouble - it takes motivation, flexibility and a certain amount of balls to make that knowledge into something worth reading. Thus (in my opinion!) it's pointless to assign ability - or lack of it - to your educational background. Everything I learnt that has so far been of use to me at university I taught myself in my own time - I took extra qualifications, I attended university lectures at my local university, I read books my teacher hadn't mentioned. Sure, my knowledge increased, but so did my ability to think critically - I grew aware that was I was learning inside the classroom was pretty small fry, academically speaking.

Also bear in mind that every interview will be tailored to you and how well you do. You cannot accurately guess how your interview will go by looking at past questions - they weren't aimed at you. Yes, you will be quizzed on knowledge, because the interviewers will assume that with your enthusiasm for the course you will have some - which is no unreasonable assumption, is it? But they will also, to put it simply, test your ability to think - part of which will be how you get to grips with unfamiliar ideas.
Reply 10
Leprechaun

You see, the reason that I'm asking is because this IS my RESEARCH. My questions my appear absurd, but believe me, I feel no less when browsing through the American University section of the forum; therefore, let’s be a little mutually tolerant shall we? And as Einstein once famously put, common sense is just a collection of prejudice one gathers by the age of 18.

By the way, I do think that knowledge is the gold-crust on the chalice to success. After all, knowledge is virtue, and virtue, knowledge.

It's actually academic potential, which isn't something you really learn at school, which is why people get asked "hard" questions which is basically applying what you've learnt or what's in your current repetoire to new problems, as well as being given new ideas to think about. They'd probably see how well you adjust to taking these in.
Reply 11
Lidka
I don't know what subject you're applying for, but "knowledge" wasn't tested in my English interview. I was tested on the way I thought - not "learned theories", mind you, just the way I absorbed information, processed it, and then formed answers based on it. Frankly, if knowledge were what was tested, I wouldn't have gotten in, and I daresay others who would've been rejected would. At this stage, at least for Arts subjects, where students are coming from so many varied backgrounds, it'd be self-defeating to accept candidates on simply "what they know". To be blunt, anyone with a good teacher, a decent learning environment and access to a library can gain knowledge without too much trouble - it takes motivation, flexibility and a certain amount of balls to make that knowledge into something worth reading. Thus (in my opinion!) it's pointless to assign ability - or lack of it - to your educational background. Everything I learnt that has so far been of use to me at university I taught myself in my own time - I took extra qualifications, I attended university lectures at my local university, I read books my teacher hadn't mentioned. Sure, my knowledge increased, but so did my ability to think critically - I grew aware that was I was learning inside the classroom was pretty small fry, academically speaking.

Also bear in mind that every interview will be tailored to you and how well you do. You cannot accurately guess how your interview will go by looking at past questions - they weren't aimed at you. Yes, you will be quizzed on knowledge, because the interviewers will assume that with your enthusiasm for the course you will have some - which is no unreasonable assumption, is it? But they will also, to put it simply, test your ability to think - part of which will be how you get to grips with unfamiliar ideas.

If this is the case, then I am much relived. :smile:
I found knowledge to be quite important in my History interviews yesterday. Most of what we talked about was conceptual, nationalism and cosmopolitanism if i remember rightly - but in order to back up what I was saying, and make comparisons I needed examples.
Well Economics is not exactly rocket science (in my opinion) and even if it is not offered as a subject in your school, it is still relatively easy to pick up the basics (e.g. supply and demand) so I think they do expect you to at least have a basic understanding.

Also like what El Mariachi mentioned, they are testing for academic potential, so it is not solely based on how much you know. For Cambridge, Economics is seen as useful preparation by all Colleges but it is not essential and I think they are more interested in how you think than how much you know.
They test your common sense and your ability not to get desperate when you say smething and they constinuously answer: "Yes, but (something that you haven't even considered and that you strugggle to include in your debate)..." or something equally nerve-wracking. Oh and it's for economics.
Do read a bit about Economics, you need to show that even though you were unable to take it up at school you used your initiative and did some independent study. At least know the difference between micro and macro economics!

Latest

Trending

Trending