The Student Room Group

Sensible debate over custom essay sites...

Hi,

Before anybody shouts me down, I do work for a custom essay site, but I'm just looking to get a few opinions about the industry, I want to know how you feel about a very contentious issue.

Personally (outside of work), I feel that if the industry was used correctly, it could be a really useful outlet for new and break-through academics, like an anthology of new theorists. An innovative means of getting new opinions on classic subjects.

I don't understand why academic research sites can't exist alongside traditional forms of research.

Also, before anyone suggests that I'm promoting my company in anyway, I'm merely researching public opinion. We're a reputable company, and more trustworthy than some of the other backstreet merchants...

Again, no promotion, just discussion.

Now, go talk!

Jed

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They debase academia.
"Custom essay sites" = paying someone else to do your work; that counts towards YOUR degree etc.

Not cool.
OK,
(I'm not looking to provoke you with this, but...) How do you think that they differ from, let's say, a textbook full of critical essays?
But whether we like it or not, these sites will always be around. Do you not think it would be better to regulate the industry and embrace it as a new medium?
Reply 5
UKEssayscom
OK,
(I'm not looking to provoke you with this, but...) How do you think that they differ from, let's say, a textbook full of critical essays?

they differ quite a lot. you write essays for people who are not willing to do the work, to give them good marks so that they can get a better grade when they do not deserve it and could potentially lower someone else's grade. textbooks with critical essays are used for support of an idea, to help stimulate thought and to show you what has been written before. no one is going to come along and use tolkien's essay on Beowulf just because it was written before. they may quote it, but it will not be the essay they hand in.

should we embrace it as a new medium? no. it's cheating and that's all it is, i'm sorry. what's the difference between what you do and someone taking cheat notes into an exam? in the end, the grade wasn't deserved and it's not their work.
Reply 6
I like how you say you're not advertising when your username is the bloody website of the place you presumably work for.
Hi Hylean,

What do you suggest then? A few people in the press have mentioned scrapping courswork altogether, is this something that you support?

Personally, again without wanting to provoke, I think that this industry needs regulation, but that with the correct management, it could become something great.

?
UKEssayscom
But whether we like it or not, these sites will always be around. Do you not think it would be better to regulate the industry and embrace it as a new medium?

Absolutely not! Using these essays towards a degree (I know I'm being specific) is wrong. It would turn "education" into a case of who has the most money to pay for the best people to do thier work for them!
So what do you suggest?
UKEssayscom
Hi Hylean,

What do you suggest then? A few people in the press have mentioned scrapping courswork altogether, is this something that you support?

Personally, again without wanting to provoke, I think that this industry needs regulation, but that with the correct management, it could become something great.

?

HOW?
Reply 11
UKEssayscom
Hi Hylean,

?

i think the "industry" as you call it should be shut down. coursework is a vital part to the learning process and helps foster independent thought. this is something your "industry" does not encourage and, in fact, hinders quite significantly. furthermore, for those wishing to carry on a career in academia, your "industry" can do nothing. if they use your website, they will not have developed the right key skills to be able to do an MA or a PHD.

in my opinion, a 3rd with all the work done by that person is worth more than a 1st achieved using your lot.
UKEssayscom
So what do you suggest?

My suggestion is that this is an industry that needs to be curbed rather than "encouraged with proper management".

Give me one example of someone who could buy an essay with a clean conscience?
Reply 13
UKEssayscom
OK,

Because the authors of said essays are usually fully cited within said textbooks and these textbooks are in turn fully cited within assignments.

The difference is, that textbooks have academic honesty, whereas these essays do not. It is paying someone else to do your work for you, which you pass off as your own -- plagiarism in its essence.

If you truly believe that these essays should be embraced as a new medium, then you should agree that they should be recorded to a database to check for such dishonesty. Using the essays as further literature is one thing, passing them off as your own piece of work is something completely different.

In doing what you do, you are undermining and devaluing many qualifications.
Reply 14
I think that if somebody has to go to a site to get 'inspiration' for their essay when they've already been given the information they need through lessons or lectures, they shouldn't be doing a A Levels or a degree in the first place.
Reply 15
I'm all for regulating it and making it transparent. I don't care if morons get 1st's by cheating. We weed them out at interview pretty easily as complete morons anyway.
Reply 16
How about you pay me to write my post?

This is unsolicited market research. Goodbye.
Well for a start, if each company had to be registered (like us) then that would help squeeze out the dark side of the industry.

Also, anti-plagiarism software such as TurnItIn should be monitored more closely (they're facing current legal battles over intellectual property rights infringement) and there should be a non-profit software created...
UKEssayscom
Well for a start, if each company had to be registered (like us) then that would help squeeze out the dark side of the industry.

Also, anti-plagiarism software such as TurnItIn should be monitored more closely (they're facing current legal battles over intellectual property rights infringement) and there should be a non-profit software created...

Tell me the difference between the "dark side" and yourself. As a so called reputable company ¬_¬
Reply 19
UKEssayscom

and who will buy essays from you if they can't hand them in as their own work? your business thrives on cheats and lazy bums who can't be assed working for their grades. if they find out that they can't hand in the essays they buy off you, then they will just stop buying them.

Latest

Trending

Trending