The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Crazster
People use tables, sadly Manc is in a hole in the tables due to their system and the new merger, but we all know the tables affect many prospects.

Do they? It appears that those companies that do operate a discriminatory policy based on institution name (rather than the more backdoor but slightly fairer method of UCAS points) are not based on league tables at all, but something far more persistent - the old boys network. If you are really trying to argue the toss between attending Manchester and say, Edniburgh then good luck but you are splitting hairs in the least.
Frodz
Because league tables are meaningless.

I read an amusing article claiming all the most intelligent prospective students go for uni's higher in the rankings! :rolleyes: To be honest if you are dumb enough to think that some very arbitrary and outdated rankings give any great indication of what a university is like then i would suggest you aren't as clever as you think...........

Firstly you have to remember that some of the data used for Manchester is well out of date. With the Merger in 2004 everything's changed but statistics have yet to change. The next RAE is next year and i'm pretty sure with all the new investment Manchester will come very high up the pile.

Secondly, Manchester isn't particularly fairing well in the newer rankings because of the recent addition of student surveys. Manchester faired badly in the last one, no doubt because the survey was probably only completed by a couple of anarchist students pissed of at evil organisations like uni's :p: I hate student surveys, if you know anything about students you'll realise the people that respond to them are usually not that representative of the student body (pretty much like the student union :rolleyes: ). With Manchester's history of a very active SU then the results are unsurprising.

I also don't like the student spend factor in rankings. City universities don't need to provide so many facilities for students unlike campuses in the middle of nowhere *cough*Warwick*cough* so i always am dubious about those.

Manchester usually does well internationally due to it's historical scientific leanings, for example some rankings emphasize Nobel Prizes which Manchester has quite a few of compared to universities of a similar standard. Manchester (and the old UMIST) have considerable international reputation.

All in all, the league tables are meaningless. The methodology of most is entirely subjective to whether you think that makes a good uni or not. UoM is a very strong uni and with the current massive investment is no doubt going to get better.

LOL but of course!
hermaphrodite
**** league table results

general rule of thumb

oxbridge > Imperial/UCL/LSE/King's > ancient scottish > red bricks> plate glass> post 92's.

Now go on someone.... start ranting what about London or all the other London Collegiate Univerisities? What about Durham. What about Southampton? What about Leicester? Go on . . .

(I did say general)

yea what about them? how would YOU place them?
Southampton, Leicester and Newcastle I'd put in between red bricks and plate glass.
Reply 24
hermaphrodite
Southampton, Leicester and Newcastle I'd put in between red bricks and plate glass.

Yeah, they are neither. I would say they are closer to Red Bricks than Plate Glass, as they are all civic, city campus based universities, and grew out of colleges of other universities. Plate Glass Universities are very distinct in that they were all founded as universities after a specific piece of legislation. Sotan, Leics and Newc are not like that at all.
hermaphrodite

general rule of thumb

oxbridge > Imperial/UCL/LSE/King's > ancient scottish > red bricks> plate glass> post 92's.

Now go on someone.... start ranting what about London or all the other London Collegiate Univerisities? What about Durham. What about Southampton? What about Leicester? Go on . . .

(I did say general)

Warwick below Reading?...interesting ranking there:smile:
Reply 26
ChemistBoy
Do they? It appears that those companies that do operate a discriminatory policy based on institution name (rather than the more backdoor but slightly fairer method of UCAS points) are not based on league tables at all, but something far more persistent - the old boys network. If you are really trying to argue the toss between attending Manchester and say, Edniburgh then good luck but you are splitting hairs in the least.

I meant student applications to uni.
I'm more or less arguing oxbridge and Manc and the whole golden dimond.
Crazster
I meant student applications to uni.
I'm more or less arguing oxbridge and Manc and the whole golden dimond.

Well it is in the interest of all institutions to try and claim parity with oxford and cambridge - doesn't mean it is true though.

I think that sixth formers need to be told how to critically appraise the league tables and that is something that is encumbant on their teachers.
Tomber
Yeah, they are neither. I would say they are closer to Red Bricks than Plate Glass, as they are all civic, city campus based universities, and grew out of colleges of other universities. Plate Glass Universities are very distinct in that they were all founded as universities after a specific piece of legislation. Sotan, Leics and Newc are not like that at all.

I agree. closer to Red Bricks than Plate Glass
PQ
Warwick below Reading?...interesting ranking there:smile:

I'd put Reading along with the Southampton, Newcastle and Leicester "clan".
Reply 30
hermaphrodite

general rule of thumb

(I did say general)

Yes, it's so general, it's just rubbish.

The only way to do it is not by "general rules of thumb" but analysing as many variables and trying to get as close to some sort of objective truth as possible.

You really have to focus on individual courses and individual faculties.

I agree with whoever said student surveys are often carried out by disgruntled students... generally if you're happy and content about something you're not going to make much of a noise over it.
Proton Boy
Yes, it's so general, it's just rubbish.

And league table results aren't rubbish, are they :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending