The Student Room Group

Music Technology AS Level...

I'm currently applying to sixth forms and I've put down Music Technology as one of my subject choices. Although I've been playing guitar for 5 years, and would consider myself fair, I've never taken any graded exam, mainly because I've been 80% self taught, nor have I had the opportunity to take GCSE Music. How will most sixth forms view this? Will the lack of GCSE Music and grades be a significant hinderance?
I wouldn't have thought so, not for Music Technology. I'm not doing it myself (do Music) but have friends who are doing A level Music Technology and have never done any formal exams in music prior to that.
Reply 2
i really woudnt worry mate, im doing as music tech having not played an instrament and forgetting how to sight read (not something i recomend tho) you will be fine, i didnt do music gcse. go for it.
Reply 3
I am doing both Music and Music Technology, and I enjoy it very veyr much! You will never be assessed on your playing skill, however you need to be fair at Keyboard or Guitar, also a good ear. If you love music, music tech will love you!
I'm doing Music Tech and finding that my keyboard skills are an advantage when it comes to the arrangement tasks. However, you don't need to be able to play an instrument to do the course - as long as you have a good ear and good music theory knowledge, then you should be fine. It's a fun and interesting course, so if you want to apply, go for it!

Latest