The Student Room Group

questioning my course

so far my experience at uni has been great made loads of friends, great social life etc but im having doubts about my course. I'm studying economics at loughborugh, so far its been a bit of a joke. I only have 8 hours of lectures a week, 10 with tutorials, all of which have finished now til jan (don't know why they're all cancelled nxt week) which is nothing compared to other people. Also iv had no work set since iv been hear, we've done 2 multiple choice tests and we have 1 bit of coursework in one module which is due in for the end of january! everyone else always has work and coursework due in and im just sitting here bored
Im now questioning whether i chose the right uni, i had offers from birmingham and nottingham but chose loughborugh, i also achieved higher than my predicted (AABB) so i could of maybe gone to bristol or somewhere beter.
Should i just enjoy having no work whilst it lasts of start to think of other options? and also how is everyone else's first year in economics at other unis?

BoB:s-smilie:
Reply 1
You're supposed to do work outside of your lectures, you know? Like, read books and stuff.
Reply 2
you don't get set work at university bar assignments.

Your module handbooks will have reading lists in them, there's not just there to take up some pages
Reply 3
You mean your hand isn't being held? You poor, poor thing - how dare those nasty Universities expect some initiative?
Reply 4
im doing the outside reading and making notes! what i dont find acceptable is a 25 question open book multiple choice test for degree level its just not that challenging
Reply 5
I had a multiple choice test for one politics module at york. It was a piece of piss. But this was in the first year which doesn't count. 2nd and 3rd year is much more serious. Only 5 hours a week of contact hours but you have to do serious reading. Cliché time : You get out what you put in.
Reply 6
They don't spoonfeed you at university.
Reply 7
The first year is normally pretty easy.... Just wait until the work actually counts! To be honest, you probably won't get "homework" set, but only coursework to be handed in and then the recommended weekly exercises and tutorials. You can't expect a lecturer to set (and then mark) regular assignments when they're teaching (possibly) hundreds of students each week.

Since you're doing economics, you're unlikely to get much on your timetable, but you will be expected to do a lot of extra work, and even then you may find you have spare time because of your own ability. Most universities will recommend that not only do you do the exercises set and read the suggested books, but you should also find other resources and do extra background reading.
Reply 8
In my economics modules I'm expected to do at least 4 hours work (i.e. relevant preliminary reading and set exercises) before every tutorial. Then you have to do about half that afterwards as well. It mounts up when you have 4 modules on the go, each with their own lectures, seminars and tutorials in tow.

You may well be finding it easy but first year is pretty much the same wherever you go; I compared my timetable with my friends' who are elsewhere (I'm sad, I know). Be glad that you have lots of extra time to do fun stuff in-don't be tempted to fritter it away.

Latest

Trending

Trending