The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
DrDany
i think you should stufy the shortest possible subject in anything e.g. geography, get a first in that, get a good admission test score, and then apply for grauate entry. Cant eblieve swansea picked someone whos done geography and an archeologist and a salesman over me!!!!!!!!!! :angry: im sour n bitter

im sure you'll get other offers! :smile:
Reply 41
bright star
while i do wholly sympathise and can see why it's frustrating, the fact that the allow people to apply with any degree does mean that it's open to people who genuinely made the wrong choice for them and want to change careers. if they gave preference to science degrees this route would be all but closed. people with a scientific background aren't necessarily better suited than people without.

I agree its a good thing that its open to all, but I still want to say but.
A dr is all iv ever wanted to be, I have tried 8 times to get in pre-grad and post-grad. I wont ever give up but I think im just unlucky. Maybe it is time to hang up that that white coat i nought just incase and move on.
Reply 42
DrDany
I agree its a good thing that its open to all, but I still want to say but.
A dr is all iv ever wanted to be, I have tried 8 times to get in pre-grad and post-grad. I wont ever give up but I think im just unlucky. Maybe it is time to hang up that that white coat i nought just incase and move on.

do u think getting a 1st in mpharm would have increased ur chances greatly?
Reply 43
petzneo
For imperial did you have to fill in that checklist to say that the degree was adequate. Were you able to tick all the boxes? I went onto leicester website and they daid that pharmacy fine as long as you do a 1 year post grad work! Did st georges say no? There is someone on TSR that goes to Barts and said thaat there are a number of pharmacist at Barts! Did you contact them too?

There are oodles of pharmacists at BL - on both the 5 year and GEP...
Reply 44
petzneo
ditto, it quite weird that oxford uni don't like pharmacy as i personally know of a number of people who had done pharmacy and are now doing medicine and dentistry!

Aye - I'm fairly sure I know someone at Oxford with a MPharm... I can't be sure it's not pharmacology, but am 99.99% sure it's an M.Pharm...

Elles will probably know the ins and outs...
Reply 45
Misc
do u think getting a 1st in mpharm would have increased ur chances greatly?

YUP. PS=i got personal reasons for doin medicne, i got expereince in primary and secondary care in UK, USA and IRAQ, Iv done charity work and i like me yoga n kickboxing. Reference seemed decent enough.
do you have long-term caring experience? that's what'd jump out at me as perhaps missing?
Reply 47
Fluffy
There are oodles of pharmacists at BL - on both the 5 year and GEP...

Thats sooo good to hear! Which unis did they go to and how many times did they have to apply so that they could do medicine? Oh and btw can they still work part time to fund the degree as thats what i hope to do!

I may be dim but what uni do you go to fluffy?
Reply 48
bright star
do you have long-term caring experience? that's what'd jump out at me as perhaps missing?

Doesnt Iraq work expereince, Working in primary care and secondaray care in the NHS count? iv also been a mentor to children helping in maths and sciences and look afetr children during the summer with barnarsdos? as well as arranged charity events. also fun evensts fro children in muslim community? I thinked im cursed bad luck follows me
okay i mean something like visiting old ladies every week for a year or something of that ilk.... i can't really tell what you've been doing. is it longterm and does it seem to be worthwhile? if not, you need to commit to something regularly and keep it up. obviously if this is for an application next cycle, this needs to be starting now.... you might be doing this already, if you are keep it up....

have you had interviews before? you do seem very unlucky....
Reply 50
petzneo
Thats sooo good to hear! Which unis did they go to and how many times did they have to apply so that they could do medicine? Oh and btw can they still work part time to fund the degree as thats what i hope to do!

I may be dim but what uni do you go to fluffy?

Barts and The London. As for number of applications - it varies... one of my friends has a 1st, has done their pre-reg, has oodles of relevant work experience and got in on his 3rd post-grad application. OThers got in 2nd time or 1st time.

The one thing getting into medical school is is random! It's also much more competative post-graduate, which comes as a huge shcok to a lot of people who think they are just going to "get a degree then go to medical school".

All the guys I know who did their pre-reg year locum.
Reply 51
bright star
okay i mean something like visiting old ladies every week for a year or something of that ilk.... i can't really tell what you've been doing. is it longterm and does it seem to be worthwhile? if not, you need to commit to something regularly and keep it up. obviously if this is for an application next cycle, this needs to be starting now.... you might be doing this already, if you are keep it up....

have you had interviews before? you do seem very unlucky....

1 interview from 8 applications lol, leicester this year, but I must admit I prepared for that practiced question etc. Then they did ask me some of the questions but for some reason all my prepartion went out the window and I had an ouuta body expereince lookin at myself and thinking shut up u moron what r u talking about. I guess i gotta learn from that. I mentored children for a year, and on and off arangement events for children in the local muslim community etc. Its a bit difficult to do anything long term because as a locum im in a different place every 2 weeks or so. But thanx for your help thus far, when I apply again next year I'll forward you a copy of my PS n Refernce n see what ya say
DrDany
1 interview from 8 applications lol, leicester this year, but I must admit I prepared for that practiced question etc. Then they did ask me some of the questions but for some reason all my prepartion went out the window and I had an ouuta body expereince lookin at myself and thinking shut up u moron what r u talking about. I guess i gotta learn from that. I mentored children for a year, and on and off arangement events for children in the local muslim community etc. Its a bit difficult to do anything long term because as a locum im in a different place every 2 weeks or so. But thanx for your help thus far, when I apply again next year I'll forward you a copy of my PS n Refernce n see what ya say

noooo what do you mean?? this is obviously the year.... :smile:

feel free though if you want. we also have a personal statement forum which is private where you can get advice on your statement. all the best xx
Reply 53
Damn, how do Biomed guys get in then? because surely pharmacists with a MPharm will know more than a biomed graduate... Graduate Entry seem so random...gggrrrr I wish it wasnt as random...
Reply 54
DrDany

did all the other unis u applied to this year reject u straight away? or are u still waiting from others?
Hey everyone!:smile:

Just wanted to know if anyone has had an offer from Leicester's 4 year course? I've heard of two people who have gotten offers already and, since they told us at interview not to expect anything until March, I'm starting to get a bit twitchy!

Does anyone know if all the interviews for the 4 year are finished?!

p.s. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong thread - I'm new.

Thanks
Reply 56
Umm well DrDany has applied for leicester, but I don't know if he has heard anything yet! Grad entry seems very iffy, from what I hear, you should also go on the New Media Medicine forum as they have quite a lot of graduate medical applicants. What degree did you have and what other unis are you applying to?
Reply 57
do you automatically get an advantage if you have a degree and apply for the 5 year course compared to A-level students?
god knows. i'm tempted to say no. but i couldn't tell you for sure.
Reply 59
scrubs26
do you automatically get an advantage if you have a degree and apply for the 5 year course compared to A-level students?

No. Some A-level students interview far better than grads do!

Latest

Trending

Trending