The Student Room Group

The Crusade for All 8s

04/09/17 - an intro

Welcome to my blog!

Hello everybody! :biggrin:You can call me Gold, or GAFW and tomorrow I'm starting Year 11, to do another year of GCSEs and actual exams! Despite my title and target grades (all 8s! :argh:) I'm not going to achieve that, realistically. So the subjects I'm doing, and my own personal targets, are these:

Spoiler

Also you should know, in June, I did my Year 10 mocks. The results weren't great, but I'll post them for you to see

Spoiler

I will be attempting to post daily (a bit ambitious, but if I'm already spending my life at a desk why not make it productive:ahee:) to show you my progress, and inspire me to not die after Christmas and work hard all year round :smile:

Adios my lovelies! :banana:

Scroll to see replies

i think i may join you, i really need motivation
I like your thread title :biggrin:
Anyway good luck with your journey - if you have any questions about the struggle of academia feel free to ask me (I've just finished my A Levels so hopefully I can be of use!)
Original post by GoldAndFreeWifi
04/09/17 - an intro

Welcome to my blog!

Hello everybody! :biggrin:You can call me Gold, or GAFW and tomorrow I'm starting Year 11, to do another year of GCSEs and actual exams! Despite my title and target grades (all 8s! :argh:) I'm not going to achieve that, realistically. So the subjects I'm doing, and my own personal targets, are these:

Spoiler

Also you should know, in June, I did my Year 10 mocks. The results weren't great, but I'll post them for you to see

Spoiler

I will be attempting to post daily (a bit ambitious, but if I'm already spending my life at a desk why not make it productive:ahee:) to show you my progress, and inspire me to not die after Christmas and work hard all year round :smile:

Sounds great! I just finished Year 11, so let me know if you have any questions, especially about Maths/English since I did the new spec for those too! Don't worry too much about Year 11, enjoy yourself and study hard and you'll be fine :smile:
Original post by yellowdays
i think i may join you, i really need motivation

:five:
Original post by DeepInTheMeadow
Sounds great! I just finished Year 11, so let me know if you have any questions, especially about Maths/English since I did the new spec for those too! Don't worry too much about Year 11, enjoy yourself and study hard and you'll be fine :smile:

Original post by Mesopotamian.
I like your thread title :biggrin:
Anyway good luck with your journey - if you have any questions about the struggle of academia feel free to ask me (I've just finished my A Levels so hopefully I can be of use!)

Thankyou! :h:
04/09/17 - an intro

Welcome to my blog!

Spoiler

Spoiler

Hey there, don't worry about your mocks at all, I got majority B's in mine and 5s in English (plus a 7 in maths) and I ended up with very good results😁, so I'm sure you'll ace it when the time comes!

Hello everybody! :biggrin:You can call me Gold, or GAFW and tomorrow I'm starting Year 11, to do another year of GCSEs and actual exams! Despite my title and target grades (all 8s! :argh:) I'm not going to achieve that, realistically.

dont lose hope! my targets for english were 7 and 8 (before that it was 7 and 7 but my teacher believed in me) and i got an 8 and a 9 !!!! in the mock i literally scored 8/34 for the lit essay question but i actually tried in the exam and for maths i was targetted an 8 and got a 9 after getting 7s throughout year 10 -if i can do it you can too!
Reply 8
Good luck with year 11! Will be cool to see how this goes :biggrin:
05/09/17 - Day 1

An Update - the first day back

Hey guys! So, you'll know that today was my first half day back at school. Between being kept from my friends the whole time, and having my picture taken, it wasn't a great start. But tomorrow will be better.
I did receive my timetable, which I actually coloured in when I got home, not just because it makes it easier for me to read and see how my day looks, but it was also quite a nice activity to do, getting me into the mind frame to finally get to work on the stack of French and German homework that had been piling up on my desk for the whole of summer (trying to stop the procrastination habit this year as well aha :K:.)
Luckily, I did get my German finished, it was just simple reading exercises and a quick translation (it was on travel and technology for anyone interested:blush:) and I've apparently lost my French homework which just shows how well prepared I am for this year. I hope everyone who made posts about their Year 11 worries can find comfort knowing you're off to a better start than me :clap2:
Anyway, I'm probably going to spend the rest of the evening planning what I'm going to go over/study/revise tomorrow after school and of course, binge watch How I Met Your Mother:biggrin:
Hopefully tomorrow will be more productive. Pray for me, I need to find this French homework :bawling:

Adios my lovelies :banana:
Original post by katiech
Good luck with year 11! Will be cool to see how this goes :biggrin:

thankyou! I'm hoping it'll keep me focused aha :smile: good luck to you with whatever study level you're at this year!
06/09/17 - First lessons

Another crappy day

Hey guys! So, it wasn't a great day again. It's mostly due to school, and I've easily slipped back into my Year 7,8,9 and 10 attitude of spending almost every minute with my head on the desk :afraid:
Although I'm more than committed to working at home, it's going to be hard to learn how to work at school (it's hard when all I can think about is how much I can't stand everyone around me :s-smilie:) but I'm trying to keep a positive attitude so *breathe* and tomorrow will be a better day :smile:

That French homework is long gone, and I wasn't able to get another today, so I'll look forward to the detention for that (baby steps guys, an attitude makeover doesn't kick in overnight). Anyway, I wasn't planning on being this negative aha :colondollar: After school today, I didn't have any homework, so I decided to go over Pure Substances and Mixtures for Chemistry, which we did today in lesson. I made a poster and will do some quiz questions later on. I also did 15 minutes each of French and German on Duolingo.
I've also started a new Sticker System for my revision notes, which I'm sure isn't original but whatever :tongue: When I've finished writing up notes, or a poster, I'll put a red, yellow or green sticker at the top of the page, to represent how confident I am with this subject. It'll make it easier for me when it's exam time, and I'm flipping through my Chemistry folder to see what I need to revise.

I hope you're having a creative day :smile:

07/09/17 - noice day

Tried to be aesthetic...

Hello everybody! It's day 3 of school and...it was a good day! :biggrin: The guy I got moved to sit next to in Chemistry started actually talking to me, so it's not a boring lesson anymore! I did a better job at working hard today, and I had my first German lesson which made it easier (I love German <3). Maths was fine, I made up with the guy I sit with, since we had an argument (one of many, but whatever). I'm not struggling with the work yet but...give it time aha :redface: So it was almost a great day, apart from little things with my friends (does anyone else have those days when you're all getting at each other and it's really tense?).

Anyway, today I added a bit more to my Chemistry poster and wrote up my English notes onto a mind map of Sheila Birling for An Inspector Calls. I tried to make them artsy and was kind of proud, so here is my progress so far!
image1 (1).jpg
So I guess, so far, I'm keeping on top of the studying at home thing, which is weird considering I'm used to coming home and sleeping until 8pm :s-smilie: but I'm really liking the changing thing. It's easier when I think about the fact that it's my future I'm working for (keep that in mind if you're struggling to stay motivated).

I'm going to plan tomorrows study, then dinner, bath and bed (and of course a quick game of Town Of Salem :colone:) This year is already exhausting lmao, but I hope you're having a really memorable day!

ps. I saw that this has 200 views which is a lot for me! (this is my first ever thread aha) so I really hope you're all enjoying this, or at least not finding it boring! I'm liking doing it, though, so it's a good sign I'll stick to it!
Reply 13
I'm glad you had a good day, and congrats on 200 views!
Original post by katiech
I'm glad you had a good day, and congrats on 200 views!

thankyou! :h:
08/09/17 - haha

Couldn't stop laughing

Hello everyone! Today has been one of those days when everything's funny. Especially since my (probably about 60 years old?) maths teacher completely floored it, mumbling "oh *s**t" as he tripped over a pair of crutches, and I haven't recovered since :ahee: (he was fine btw, and eventually saw the funny side) I also kind of bombed my German vocab test because nobody from my class would send me the list of words so yeah, not my fault :tongue:

Although it's been a funny day, funny kind of equals unproductive for me so I really need to do some work or something. I've planned out some other posters I need to do, to put in my files for when it gets to the time I need to be revising. If anyone has any other ways to study apart from posters and mindmaps I'd love to hear, I'm really stuck for some! :h:

Pretty short one from me today, I don't have a lot else I need to say. Anyway, I hope you're having a really innovative day! :biggrin:

Reply 16
When you say crusade and don't even do history :holmes:

Following, good luck!
Original post by Airmed
When you say crusade and don't even do history :holmes:

Following, good luck!

sorry :dontknow: I'll attempt to be more aggressive haha

and thankyou! :colondollar:
Reply 18
sorry :dontknow: I'll attempt to be more aggressive haha

and thankyou! :colondollar:

be savage, I highly recommend it. :awesome:
09/09/17

First day of no school!

Hey guys! Finally the weekend oh my days, a lie-in was more than what I needed! :biggrin: I planned to get all my homework done today, but my friend wanted to go out, so I didn't get round to it until I got home. Finding 10 dramatic and linguistic devices used in The Text™ wasn't the most fun way to spend the evening, but finding 10 dramatic and linguistic devices used in The Text™ while guiding my friend home after she forgot to get off the bus and got lost in another part of the city? That's exactly how you jazz up English homework (shoutout to my dumbarse friend :ahee:)

Still, I can't even relax tomorrow, there's a load of German homework that also needs doing. I'll make an Arctic Monkeys playlist tonight, to listen to while I do it. I'm excited to start doing French again on Monday. My teacher left at Easter last year, and supply teachers at my school are the most useless things, so it's been months since I actually learnt anything :unimpressed:.

Well, I hope you're all still enjoying this, I'm going to eat my ice cream, get a bath, and scroll through memes until 1am:redface: but I hope you're having a really motivated day! :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending