The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

(this is noblesagi on her sis login lol I didn't realise until after I posted it :redface:)
Thanks for replying ArtGirl :smile:
I'm studying Fine Art, Graphics and Biology (and general studies) A-levels. Have both Fine Art and Graphics exam coming up difficult to concentrate on anything else :s

Anyway I'll let you know how I found Ravenbourne and how the interviews go.
Thanks again!
Reply 61
Yeh my art a level is fine art too. What kind of fine art is yours? Theres a big dispute over what actualy is fine art and at ravensbourne they dont do fine art as a pathway. My work is all portraits so its v.fine art lol. Good luck again with your interviews!
Reply 62
Heya
For Fine Art at my college we are mainly told to think conceptually about ideas and what we are trying to show. Risk taking is a big thing too! We are encouraged to look at contemporary artists as well. We're also with Edexcel who have apparently altered the syllabus from last year, what exam board are you with?

My work is mainly paintings and drawings but I have started to look in to sounds. I actually want to go into Illustration but sometimes Fine Art appeals to me more. You said Rave doesn't have a Fine Art Pathway that's a bit strange, I thought all foundation courses would have the same pathways?

:wink:
Reply 63
Im with cambridge exam board. Yeh they dont do fine art because of the argument as in what is fien art because many people have different ideas as to what it is exactly and Rave dont do fine art because Rave college prepares you for employent for degree courses and with fine art the jobs are mostly self employed but they will explain it more on the open day :smile:
heyyy sorry for late reply, pretty much same as art girl, i wouldnt worry about the interview as she said it is so laid back more of a general conversation

i liked camberwell too when i looked round it, i assume it is probably more of a tough interview though, i didnt actually end up applying there at last, but i am sure whatever you choose you will be fine, i have heard generally the trickc is to just make sure you're positive about your work, or at least explain any critisisms if theres something you dont like. i know it is hard to not be modest sometime haha

anyway
good luck!
let us know, how they go go go!
xxx
Reply 65
noblesagi
I have applied to Ravensbourne, Camberwell and an FE college and will be applying to my sixth form.

Luckily I have manged to get interviews at Rave and the FE college and a portfolio assessment at Camberwell (got the letter this morning) :biggrin:

I got a portfolio review at camberwell too! Is yours on the 14th? :biggrin:
Reply 66
Hey JesFTW :smile:
Mine is the week after on the 21st.
Let me know how it goes though! Good Luck!:wink:
has anyone had a group interview thing at kingston yet?
whats it like?
what kind of questions do they ask?
ive got mine tomo and i have no idea what its going to be like!
thanks
Reply 68
Good luck :smile: I've got mine on the 22nd, I'm so nervous because I really don't know what to expect from a group interview. It'd be really useful to hear some feedback as to what goes on, and what kinda stuff they ask
i had it the kingston interview, be calm, becauese iyt is quite a daunting process - don't look in your compact mirror while other people talking, take an interest, if a conversation starts say something, such as one boys work was related to tim burton - and i mentioned how tim burton and helena boham carter lived in two houses with a door in the middle, also if they say have you visited the open day which you should have done say yess otherwise they will tear into you like htey did with one girl, also don't worry, when i came out i was 99.9% sure i hadn't got a place as they seemed really interested in everyone else's work and seemed to not ask me much and i was really dissapointed with my self and was definte i hadn't got a place,
also - ask a question at the end, and try to bring some work which shows you as an individual when i went there were three people from the same school and they all had really similar work, so if your in that situation bring some stuff you do outside school, just be yourself i was so sure i hadn't got a place becaues they were like yeah you havce too much fine art stuff, but i havce got a place, so don't worry! goood luck,
Reply 70
That's brilliant advice, thank you so much. I really didn't know what to expect... but what d'you mean they "tore into this one girl" cos I didn't go to an open day (my bad), I just looked around galleries of student's work...

Good luck with getting a place, I was super surprised that I even got an interview... so even if you didn't get in, you beat a load of people to get to where you are :smile:
well this girl was like no i haven't looked round kingston, and then the course leader was like 'why, how do you know this is the right place for you' and she was like i heard its good, and yeah basically there not gonna give a place ot someone who hasn't visited the open day or really wants to go there as loads of peeps wanna go there,
i was really suprised but i got in, which big shocck, so must have doone something right,
Reply 72
You got in? Woah! Nice one :biggrin: Congratulations. Just out of interest, how much of your work did you talk about? Was there time to talk about everything, or did you put the emphasis mainly on the stuff that you thought was best?
well, basically you put yuor main folder thing and they go through it in the order, and i tried to talk about bits and bobs, but you don't have much time, and then they are flicking through it, and tehy ask you about the work more, but yeah, good luck,
Reply 74
thanks :smile: It's hard to know what they're looking for so I'll just give it my best shot, and hope they like what I have to say.
I am scared now!! I'm going for an interview on monday (two days) in Camberwell, and I haven't gone for open day...but I can't lie to them can I? I mean, to go for an open day, you have to sign up, and I guess they will know that I didn't go, and besides if they ask me about the school like " which facilities did you like when you visited" I won't know what to answer!
Reply 76
whateverhappens
I am scared now!! I'm going for an interview on monday (two days) in Camberwell, and I haven't gone for open day...but I can't lie to them can I? I mean, to go for an open day, you have to sign up, and I guess they will know that I didn't go, and besides if they ask me about the school like " which facilities did you like when you visited" I won't know what to answer!

What is the interview for?
I'm sure they won't mind just explain that you haven't been able to visit but you've heard a lot about the Uni of Arts (think about why you applied there in the first place). It might also help to mention that you'll visit their next open day if they have one (check on their website and get booked in for it, so you can say the date you'll be visiting)
I don't know about the whole interview procedure at Camberwell but they might show you around prior to the interview.
noblesagi
What is the interview for?
I'm sure they won't mind just explain that you haven't been able to visit but you've heard a lot about the Uni of Arts (think about why you applied there in the first place). It might also help to mention that you'll visit their next open day if they have one (check on their website and get booked in for it, so you can say the date you'll be visiting)
I don't know about the whole interview procedure at Camberwell but they might show you around prior to the interview.

It's for Illustration, and the open days for this years entry are closed now...they don't start again until august!! But it's just that I live far away and it is rather expensive for me to travel to england, and that is why I didn't go to open day! I just hope they don't think I'm not being serious about studying there
Reply 78
Hello I got in to Rave, strange how quickly they replied. The tutor that interviewed me said one and a half weeks and that was only two days ago! :s. The interview wasn't too bad but I found it quite awkward talking about my work :redface: as I always seem to do
But I have to say having the student there made the interview seem less scary!:smile:
Reply 79
Congrats on getting into Rave! Are you going to go there now youve got in? :smile:

Latest