The Student Room Group

Any thoughts on foundation years?

Hiya, I've been offered to do a Philosophy foundation year at Hull or Scarborough University, didn't do overly well at A-level but thats another story.

Anyway, as I have always been a person of confidence problems has anybody done this course before? I hope I can do well this time and begin the Bachelor Degree, as I got a B in Religious Studies at school. What is a philosophy foundation year typically like?

Any help would be appreciated.
Reply 1
Will nobody give me any advice at all? I'm a guy in need for goodness sake!
It might just be that no-one knows anything about Philosophy foundation years :smile: I'm doing a foundation year at the moment and its really good - but I doubt it would be comparable to yours!!
Reply 3
Hmm that's a point I didn't consider thanks :wink:

Anyway I appreciate your response. What foundation year are you doing?
Reply 4
i did offer feedback but my post was deleted as usual
Reply 5
The Boosh
i did offer feedback but my post was deleted as usual

Why was that post deleted though? There was absolutely nothing wrong with it.
Reply 6
because some of the mods are tools and like deleting my posts, even when they are helpful.
I'm doing a foundation year... but for Archaeology, not Philosophy. Mine is generic for social sciences, doing subjects like Anthropology, Maths, Psychology, Biology, Cultural Studies, Critical Thinking, with everyone doing common modules but going on to different degrees. A friend of mine progressing to Philosophy is doing mostly the same modules I think, also English which I don't do. This is just how Durham does it, I don't know if the ones you've applied to are generic like this or more specific for Philosophy.
Mine is Maths, Physics and Electronics and I'm going on to do Meteorology next year (assuming I pass this year) Its an intensive course and I'm in lectures 23 (ish) hours per week with at least 3 assignments per week.. next year should be quieter by comparison but I'm sure the subject matter will be much harder.. I'm enjoying it though :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending