The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nope, don't be upset. 2:2 is still the 'average' mark, plus it's your first ever essay, so you've plenty of time to improve, and you can learn from it. Read any comments you've been given, and you can improve for next time!

Does you first year count towards your final degree? If not, even less to worry about! Well done!
I didn't do too well either, but it's the first essay! They don't expect you to be an expert at the subject, or the style of essay writing. As tutorials go on, and everybody gets a bit more experienced I'm sure you'll do better.

Don't panic about it yet, it's only the first term!
Aim for a 2:1 in your first year to set a good precedent.

After that, just make sure you have fun!
Reply 4
Learn from it. Seek critical feedback and develop it to perfection. Every essay matters, make sure you ask whats wrong with it and change it accordingly.
No, you shouldn't be upset, although I know what you mean, you always hope that you'll get off to an amazing start. The reality is, though that you WILL get better marks if you listen to comments on it :smile:

On a completely different note... Tyrannosaurus Cal... your location... would that perhaps be a reference to a certain racist dragon?
no its your first essay not your last dont worry
I got a 2:2 too for my first essay :frown: Just going to try and learn from it and hopefully do better next time. What makes it worse is that some of my friends started their essays the night before and came out with 2:1s and 1sts! Grr!
It's a sign you need to improve.

Any bad grade shouldn't be taken as a let down, it should be taken as motivation to correct on your mistakes and do better in forthcoming essays and examinations.
Remember it's subjective to a point. Take into account what was said by whoever marked it and try to do that in your next essay. :smile:
first year doesn't count anyway, and you didn't just pass as a third is lower than a 2:2.

it seems really disheartening when you've come from getting really high grades at a level, to suddenly only getting in the 50s and Cs at degree level but the leap is big, and you've still got a long way to go before anything is actually accounted for. Think of it like at school, your degree is 3 yrs I am assuming, so this is like at the start of year 11 in gcses, you've got until taking your final A2s to get it right.... could you have got the grades you recieved at A level when you were in year 11? I highly doubt it, and its the same thing at university.

I got a fair few 2:2s in first year and i'm not that bothered, first year is the time for making mistakes, and as i'm in scotland nothing counts until 3rd year anyway.
Stony Steve Lemon
No, you shouldn't be upset, although I know what you mean, you always hope that you'll get off to an amazing start. The reality is, though that you WILL get better marks if you listen to comments on it :smile:

On a completely different note... Tyrannosaurus Cal... your location... would that perhaps be a reference to a certain racist dragon?

Woah.....I live in the same town as you!
Reply 12
We were told getting 2:2 or 2:1 is much better for first essays as a first could well be a fluke and then you've missed valuable feedback.
A 2nd class means you've understood the material and you'll get lots of comments (hopefully) on how to improve next time.
Good lord, 2:2 on first essay? it's not a 3rd or a fail. Sounds like perfect grounding to work on to me.
Balky_Bear
Woah.....I live in the same town as you!

Class! Where abouts do you live?
Reply 15
I got a 1st in all my first and 2nd year essays and still managed to get a 2:2 so I wouldn't worry, plus usually the first year doesn't count towards your degree does it?
Stony Steve Lemon
Class! Where abouts do you live?

I live at the top of Stephenson Way, what about you?
2:2?? On your first essay?? as far as i'm aware that is good - my first essay I got that as well and now my grades are gradually going up. Quite chuffed to be honest considering I doubted myself that I wouldn't pass anything. Just take on board the comments n improve for next time.
Stony Steve Lemon

He's not racist any more. :wink:
Amandeep_Psych07
I got a 2:2 too for my first essay :frown: Just going to try and learn from it and hopefully do better next time. What makes it worse is that some of my friends started their essays the night before and came out with 2:1s and 1sts! Grr!

started their essays THE NIGHT BEFORE...

never heard that one before :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending