The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
On a sidenote, does anyone else think it's a bit morbid to name a building after someone while they're still alive? I thought it was traditional to name buildings after people as a sort of memorial.
If you were handing over tens of millions of brown drinking vouchers to establish a new college you'd want the place named after you.
Chewwy
actually no, it'll probably be in the Stephen Hawking Building, arguably the best first year accommodation in cambridge.

okay, I'm sure it's very comfortable, but it's not classic Cambridge beauty from the outside.
Reply 43
NikkO
I've got another pool-question though. If you are pooled, will you definetely be considered by other colleges (i.e. being given an interview) and then perhaps being given an offer? Or do you stand the chance of not being invited at all, PLUS the chance of not being given an offer?

Only about 20% of people *who are pooled* actually get fished out of the pool. Basically, ALL those pooled have a chance, and colleges go and look through all the relevant files and see who they might want to take. They can then either just accept people, on the basis of their academic records and - crucially - the interview reports from the first round; or they can invite up again for interview to see for themselves, and then accept or reject as they see fit. Unfortunately, for those involved, the pool is just as much a waiting and nervewracking process as the first time round.

So, yes, there is a very high possibility that poolees will not be called for re-interview, but this does not necessarily affect whether or not they will get an offer.
Reply 44
Good bloke
If you were handing over tens of millions of brown drinking vouchers to establish a new college you'd want the place named after you.

True, hence the future William Gates College. But Stephen Hawking didn't do that.
I doubt it the more competitive colleges probably have enough over-subscription as it is let alone enter themselves through pooliong

HOWEVER every college is over-subcribed so they must reject so many people to the point where they make a couple of places free. Really weird system though.
Reply 46
I doubt it the more competitive colleges probably have enough over-
subscription as it is let alone enter themselves through pooliong

Pooling isn't just to fill spaces: it's to help standardise the quality throughout the University. If there was one year when one of the more over-subscribed colleges had a great number of applicants who aren't as strong as those at a less 'popular' college, they would alter their offers accordingly. You're right, though, that due to numbers applying to those colleges in the first place, the likelihood is that they will have a larger number (though not necessarily a larger proportion) of top applicants. They do attend the pool, though, and people DO get pooled into 'more popular' colleges.
In fact, many of the over-subscribed colleges take a lot of strong state-school applicants from the pool to fill "quotas".
Reply 48
smalltownboy
In fact, many of the over-subscribed colleges take a lot of strong state-school applicants from the pool to fill "quotas".

Where on earth did you hear that?!
From a Cambridge DoS. She was drunk, mind.
Reply 50
Where did you meet a drunk DoS?
When I stayed with my sister last year, we went to a drinks do at another college.
Reply 52
Last edited by smalltownboy : 9 Minutes Ago at 17:24.

Did you just censor out the name? Haha. Curious though.
Nah, I censored the college.
Reply 54
I'd like to think it was King's. It seems to fit the image I've got of that college, lol.
Why would Kings needs to fill quotas? Its the college with the most state-school applicants.
Reply 56
perhaps the DoS was a bitter and cynical DoS, dissing the other colleges...
I like king's.. but king's doesn't like me..
Reply 57
smalltownboy
Why would Kings needs to fill quotas? Its the college with the most state-school applicants.

I meant the drunken part. :wink:
Oh, fair enough. I assume all DoS's at Kings to be raging communists. I don't know why I didn't apply there.....

Latest

Trending

Trending