The Student Room Group

£50 notes?!?!

hi,

i just got back from work and in the last hour i was the only one on the customers service desk. a foreign lady who couldnt speak very good english came and purchased some stuff it came up to about £25. she paid on a £50 note. is it bad that i only checked it was real and then didnt really query it? i know that some jobs can be funny about stuff like that. as far as i was concerned it was a real note and i had never been told anything about dealing with them before.

does anyone else have to do anything if they get £50 notes like ring for managers or something?

cos im getting worried

thanks

Scroll to see replies

If you've not been told what to do about it, i don't think you should be expected to know how to check it. But if she was foriegn then it was probably real, and when she changed her money she just got given it in 50's :tongue:
when i was at tesco we were sposed to call a supervisor to check them out

I rarely did though - long as you do all your checks you should be OK.
Reply 3
well i could see there was a queens head in the light, is that good enough? or is there like special things to look for?

i have never been told what to do with them in my defense and they left someone who has been working less than 2 months alone on the customer service desk, so their fault really
Reply 4
you have to check and see if there is that silver line and design through it
Reply 5
http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/security/index.htm

Have a read of that website Soph it'll point you in the right direction however don't fret about it - if they've not told you how to do it or filled you in on their processes then it's their fault!!
Reply 6
Yeah generally speaking (from what i learnt in a cash handling occupation over summer) £50's are never fake, if they are there usually VERY obvious i mean photocopies and stuff. Because intelligent fakers dont do a note which attracts suspicion like that, and dumb fakers try it and fail badly. That was general rule of thumb, i wouldnt worry about it.
At the Sainsbury's I work at it, its standard procedure to call a supervisor if someone pays with a £50 note. Then the supervisor either uses a counterfeit pen or looks for the silver thread running through. I know how you feel about being alone on customer services on a saturday, it can be hellish, today I had enough and just asked the girl who covered my break to stay and help.
You'll be fine. I've never been told to call a supervisor over, and plenty of people pay with fifties at my store (it's right next to a cash machine).
Reply 9
Just hold it up to the light and check the watermark appears (usually the face thats on the note somewhere has a duplicate watermark) and also a line should appear horizontally that isnt noticable without looking at it under light.

If you do that then it should be ok.. if no one has specifically told you procedures with high notes then theres no need to worry as you probably dont have to call them over. If in doubt you could always speak to a supervisor and make sure you arent doing anything wrong.
Reply 10
If you rub it on paper some red ink will smear off, also you can use those cool UV lights.
Reply 11
£5, £10 and £20 notes are much are likely to be fake due to reasons mentioned above, yet we rarely check they are genuine.
Reply 12
it was ok, they never mentioned it today at work, so i take it there is no special procedure. thanks for all the help!
too late now but don't worry about it. i worked in a book store and a guy brought out a £50. normally from experience i know you're supposed to check them and i hadn't been trained to,so i called a senior staff to have a look. she didn't even check and just said to take it. so if you haven't been trained, don't worry!
Reply 14
When i paid for some stuff using a £50 note, the girl serving me rubbed it on some paper :confused: and then checked the watermark, ripped it a little near the silver link running through it and then smiled and gave me my change.
Reply 15
apparently i should have used a funny pen?!?! and see some funny line. i was never told though so owell!
Reply 16
yeah its like invisible ink, on non-fakes it barely visible, on fakes it changes colour to black/brown and then u know its a fake.

its a fail safe because most people seem unable to tell fakes these days.
Reply 17
just get a colleage to double check it and what not =]
I have had a few come through my till and I usually check it myself - run my fingers along it and etc to check if its genuine or not = instead of faffin around to call the supervisor and etc, embarrasses the customer.
All I do is hold it up to the light to see the watermark and then rip it a little near the silver foil to check it is running throughout. I dont rle call a supervisor anymore because they do exactly the same as i do.

Latest

Trending

Trending