The Student Room Group
I can't speak from personal experience, nor do I claim to be an expert in this field, but a few of my cousins / relatives who took degrees in Computing/CompSci/ICT couldn't find jobs and had to go back to uni and do another course.
Reply 2
oh no! just out of interest, wat course did they do?
Well, there were a few of them, so can't say they all took the same course! But it was definitely Computing and Computer Science.

TBH, if you had been a student back in the early 2000's when the boom in ICT was going, you would have gotten a job with high pay easily, but nowadays there are so many IT-based graduates the market is saturated and there aren't enough jobs to go round.
Reply 4
If you are a competent programmer in a number of languages, you can land some pretty awesome jobs. About half of IT/CS graduates go into IT.
Reply 5
is the situation in UK become more and more similar to the one in US where the large companies assert that there is a shortage while the graduates can't find any jobs?
Reply 6
I don't think that is really correct about all the companies moving to India/China when it comes to IT. The demand for computer scientists has rocketted recently as no one has taken courses because of this misguided deception.
Reply 7
i believe the more correct trend is that US and maybe UK are only outsourcing the lower level IT jobs. Demand will still exist for the higher level jobs.
Reply 8
true
Reply 9
i only realised that after reading a newspaper article for my econs though:p:
Reply 10
Citizen Zero
I can't speak from personal experience, nor do I claim to be an expert in this field, but a few of my cousins / relatives who took degrees in Computing/CompSci/ICT couldn't find jobs and had to go back to uni and do another course.

Rubbish! Admittedly all my CS friends are from York so it's hardly an unbiased sample but most of them have moved onto successful careers.

There are plenty of careers after studying Computer Science. BCS are always commenting on how there is a distinct lack of talent in the area and how the UK needs to pump more into IT.

You might also want to consider a degree in Electrical Engineering or Maths and Computer Science.

Latest

Trending

Trending