The Student Room Group
I thought it was the second year, but I'm not interested in the solicitors route.
Reply 2
young_free
Most of the ones I see advertised require a 2:1 minimum- but application deadlines are dead early. Do you wait till your first year is over when you have an idea of what you're capable of?

If I remember correctly (which I may not, since I'll be a barrister in a few years' time) then you apply for vacation placements by Christmas-time of your second year, have vacation placements in the summer between 2nd and 3rd year, and apply for training contracts around the middle of that summer. Training contract interviews are around now (last couple of weeks and this week coming). So, you'll have offers to consider as you return to University.

By the time you apply for training contracts, you will have any 1st and 2nd year exam results, and your reference will be based on two thirds of your degree. That probably provides enough information to know whether you are likely to be a 2.i candidate overall.
Reply 3
It was late when I started that thread- I meant vacation schemes not training contracts!! Thanks jcw.
Its a bit of a strange system, the vacation scheme process that is, because its actually more competitive than getting a training contract (at most places), but then if u can get on one u can bag a contract - go to cv mail to see how its done!

Latest

Trending

Trending