The Student Room Group

Good A Level Choices

I'm currently in Year 11 and I'm thinking of doing Economics, Maths, Further Maths, Politics and Philosophy in college. I want to study either straight Economics or PPE at a top Uni but I was wondering if I have a good combination of A Levels. I was also thinking of doing History but can't decide whether to do it in addition to the ones above or replace one of them for History. English Lit was also another possibility but I didn't think it would be that useful for a Econ/PPE course even though I'm enjoying it at GCSE. Any suggestions as to what I should do?

Thanks for any responses. :smile:
I think those A Levels are pretty good, and if they're what you'll enjoy, then go for it.
Reply 2
The Oxford prospectus says that History, along with Maths, is just 'useful' for PPE, but beyond that they don't specify anything. Your subjects are absolutely fine for either of the degrees you mention. With regards to English, the advice I've always been given about your choices is to do what you enjoy. If you're already decided on what area you're looking at for degrees then the decision isn't all that important, but English is a pretty good A-level, and could open up your options a bit. Hope that helps.
Reply 3
Well, for PPE you don't actually need Politics, Philosophy and Economics A-Level. Having at least one is a good idea, but all three isn't really necessary.

That said, it lines you up well, although I would swap Politics for History. You could also swap Philosophy for English Lit and still be on course for PPE. Obviously you need to keep Economics for straight Economics and that justifies the Further Maths.

If there was anything in your selection I'd consider switching it'd be Politics for either English Lit or History but then again, as a Philosophy A-Level and university applicant I'm biased.

So long as you keep Maths, Further Maths and Economics, you can't really go wrong.
Reply 4
Thanks guys. I was also wondering if History is interesting at A Level. I didn't actually take the subject at GCSE because it couldn't fit into my timetable so I'm not really sure what the course is like.
Reply 5
Good A Level choices are ones you will enjoy!
Reply 6
The question is how do you know which A Levels you will enjoy?
You won't for certain, but you can be pretty sure by looking at the syllabi and seeing other people's opinions. And even if you're wrong, you can still change at the start of the year.
No no no.
To do a course like PPE (which I'm strongly considering myself) they're not looking for you to have studied those disciplines. A subject like History is a lot more useful to you rhan politics for example, especially as it's not black listed and I personally think that History is brilliant at A-level.
Unless you really want to study politics, philosophy or economics at A-level either drop them or switch them, they wont help you get on to the courses you want. Swapping to history, english or a language maybe? would be a lot more beneficial imho
Reply 9
I thought Law was a good A level that Unis consider, why is it bad?? please someone reply asap

Latest