The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle University Applicants Chat Thread 2018

Hi everyone,

If you're applying to Newcastle Uni for 2018 entry, this thread is for you to discuss your plans and have a general chat about the process

Here are some intro questions to get you started...

Where are you from?

What course(s) are you applying for?

What qualifications do you have? What are your predicted grades and in which subjects?

Do you have any voluntary/work experience?

What does your course require?

Why Newcastle University?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Tuition for undergraduate international medicine ???
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Original post by OMG354
Tuition for undergraduate international medicine ???

Hi,

Tuition fees for 2018 entry have not yet been confirmed. But you'll be able to find them on our website as soon as they have been :smile:

Persephone
Original post by Newcastle University
Hi everyone,

If you're applying to Newcastle Uni for 2018 entry, this thread is for you to discuss your plans and have a general chat about the process

Where are you from?

What qualifications do you have? What are your predicted grades and in which subjects?

:hide: hello :hide:

Where are you from?
Leeds :tong:

MMath Mathematics

GCSE: A*s in Biology, Chemistry, Further Maths, Geography, German, Maths, Physics. A in Religious Studies. Bs in English Language and English Literature. D in Physical Education.

AS: A in Maths (274/300 UMS), A in Further Maths (263/300 UMS)

A Level: Predicted A*AA in Maths, Further Maths and Physics

Volunteer for TSR (obviously ) and I did work experience in the Maths department of a secondary school earlier this year

AAB or A*BB including Mathematics at grade A and Further Mathematics

I went to an open day in June and really liked it - it's potentially going to be my insurance choice (I'm torn between two at the moment!). The Maths and Stats department there sounds really good and I like the city as a whole really :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Did you know you could get a lower offer to study at Newcastle University?

Our experts are doing a live Q&A to answer any of your questions about our PARTNERS scheme, what it's like as a PARTNERS student, and how to apply.

Watch the livestream at 4pm today!
Hi everyone,

Where are you from?

Where are you from? The states :chaplin:

What course(s) are you applying for? Sociology

What qualifications do you have? What are your predicted grades and in which subjects? TBA I take my SAT's next month so I'm hoping I'll ace!

Do you have any voluntary/work experience? I've been my school news anchor and I've had debates about current issues in class.

What does your course require? SAT reasoning with 600 in each and a 3.2 GPA

Why Newcastle University? I wanted to explore somewhere completely different from home, to experience other cultures, and I've heard the city is very friendly. I also like that there's a beach nearby so I can maintain my tan :thumbsup:
Original post by VegasTrash
I also like that there's a beach nearby so I can maintain my tan :thumbsup:

:lol: good luck with that! Beach? Sure. Sun? Absolutely not :rofl:. That tan’ll fade I’m afraid! :sadnod:

Good luck with your SATs and getting in! :thumbsup:
Reply 7
X

Do you know when the first offers start coming in? I know I'm a bit impatient but I am just wanting to know when to start checking
Hi everyone,

Where are you from?
Yorkshire, England

Linguistics

GCSE: A* in literature and geography. A in biology, 'RE and chemistry. Bs in physics, maths, spanish, fine art, english language.
AS: A in sociolgy, C in literature and language
I work with non-secondary ready pupils at my school.
AAB/BBB (PARTNERS)

it was always my first choice because of how well structured the course is and how it is in the top 3 universities for linguistics in the UK. I think it's really going to open many doors for me.
I guess I'm now an offer holder rather than an applicant? I have 2 offers from Newcastle and only need one B this year to get in, so I'm almost definitely going in September. Just waiting on my third and final offer for my dream course :smile: I'm from Newcastle, so if anyone has any questions about the city itself feel free to ask, I absolutely love it here.

Where are you from? Newcastle :smile:

What course(s) are you applying for? Journalism, Media and Culture, Media, Communication and Cultural Studies, and Combined Honours German, Media and Politics

A2 German - A
A2 General Studies - A
AS Gov & Pol - A (predicted A at A2)
AS Media - A (predicted A at A2)

Do you have any voluntary/work experience? I worked at a hotel in Berlin for a week, and volunteer as a teaching assistant for year 11 German at my school. I also taught German at a local middle school for a day for European Languages Day, and have (so far) spent 2 weeks at the Deutsch in Deutschland language school in Berlin, doing various exercises including giving presentations about the UK to students from around the world.

What does your course require? AAB for the offers I have, and the website says AAB for Combined Honours too :smile:

Why Newcastle University? It's the only uni that does my dream course (German, Media, and Politics), has really good student support systems in place for both well being and employability, and is high up on The Complete University Guide for all of my subjects (6th for German, 27th for Politics, 1st for Communication and Media). I am absolutely in love with the city (I'll have been living here nearly 20 years when I actually go to uni) and the university and city consistently score well in student satisfaction surveys, the nightlife is brilliant, and it's just a really beautiful, lively, friendly city, & so close to Northumberland for beaches and green spaces :smile:
Original post by carhady
Do you know when the first offers start coming in? I know I'm a bit impatient but I am just wanting to know when to start checking

Hi! I got 2 offers back yesterday :smile:
I haven't finished my application yet but pretty sure I'm applying here. I'm Kate btw.

Where are you from?
Newcastle

BSc Biomedical Science with a year in industry.

Fours As at as level in Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Religious Studies.
Predicted As and A* for A Level (dropped RS)

I have two weeks of work experience in a microbiology lab doing quality assurance on products.

AAA-AAB

Growing up and going to college here I know it's a great place and the university is fantastic. I've been to a lot of mini lectures and tasters so I know the facilities are good and it'd be nice to stay near home.
Original post by carhady

Hi,

Entirely depends on the course!

If you're concerned about your application, we can ask the relevant admissions tutor to check up on it for you. You need to send us a PM with your full name, UCAS ID, and the course(s) you applied for.

Persephone
Reply 13
Original post by aleishans
Hi! I got 2 offers back yesterday :smile:

From Newcastle?
Reply 14
Hi,

Entirely depends on the course!

If you're concerned about your application, we can ask the relevant admissions tutor to check up on it for you. You need to send us a PM with your full name, UCAS ID, and the course(s) you applied for.

Persephone

OK thanks, I'm applying for chemical engineering, I think I am quite happy with my application, I just was curious to about when to expect an offer.
Where are you from?
Leeds :h:
Medicine (A100) through PARTNERS
A* (English lit) A (Biology) A (Chemistry)
Lets just say a looot :biggrin: (which I'm too lazy to type)
AAA but ABB through PARTNERS.
I really loved the university on open day especially the accommodation which was really nice! I like Newcastle's intercalated medicine programme and early clinical experience. But err.... ngl, the partners offer and lower UKCAT threshold definitely sold it :grin:
Original post by hopefulmedic101
Where are you from?
Leeds :h:

:five:

Where else are you applying? :smile:
Original post by Protostar
:five:

Where else are you applying? :smile:

Bristol, Keele and Manchester! :smile: You?
Original post by hopefulmedic101
Bristol, Keele and Manchester! :smile: You?

Durham, Lancaster, York and Leeds :h: (the last 2 are just to fill up my 5 choices though :lol:)
Original post by Protostar
Durham, Lancaster, York and Leeds :h: (the last 2 are just to fill up my 5 choices though :lol:)

Nice! All of those are relatively quite close then :biggrin: Would you commute to Leeds and York?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending