The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Royal Holloway, University of London applicants chat and FAQ 2018

Hello! :wavey:

This is a thread for all applicants thinking of studying at Royal Holloway in 2018. Feel free to ask any questions, or just to introduce yourself.

Here are some questions to get you started:

What course will you be applying for?
How are you feeling about starting uni?
Have you got any Open Days planned, or have you already been to an Open Day? (Bonus points if you managed to get some great pictures of campus!)
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi! I'm hoping to study European and International Studies (French) next September and I'm really excited! I love the campus and surrounding area
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Hello!
I'm applying for Modern Languages with International Relations:smile:
I feel super excited about starting uni and I visited campus in June and loooooved it!
Original post by Jessieddurham
Hello!
I feel super excited about starting uni and I visited campus in June and loooooved it!

Original post by em263626
Hi! I'm hoping to study European and International Studies (French) next September and I'm really excited! I love the campus and surrounding area

Hello!

It's so great to hear that you've both already visited campus. What was your favourite part of your visit?

I'm sure you must have noticed the building works going on when you came to visit, but have you heard that our brand new Library and Student Services Centre is now officially open?

davison-complete-image-1528x297.jpg

:smile: Summer
Reply 4
Hello!

Ahh what language are you hoping to do? 😊 I loved the campus too, although the June open day was absolutely boiling 😂
Reply 5
Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London
Hello!

It's so great to hear that you've both already visited campus. What was your favourite part of your visit?

I'm sure you must have noticed the building works going on when you came to visit, but have you heard that our brand new Library and Student Services Centre is now officially open?

davison-complete-image-1528x297.jpg

Hey! I loved the community-feel of the campus and everyone was really friendly and proud to represent the uni which was really inviting. I also really liked the accommodation and some of the views from the top floors were stunning! I can't wait to hopefully come back on the offer holder day next year and see the new building!
Original post by em263626
Ahh what language are you hoping to do? 😊 I loved the campus too, although the June open day was absolutely boiling 😂

I'm hoping to do french but I also wanted to do german too so I'm not 100% sure yet 😩 Which language are you doing? Omg I agree! It was a nice day at least
Reply 7
I'm hoping to do french but I also wanted to do german too so I'm not 100% sure yet 😩 Which language are you doing? Omg I agree! It was a nice day at least

Ahh same! I'm planning on doing 50% French and 50% Politics under the European Studies course, but I keep thinking about switching to German as I've always wanted to learn the language, but I haven't done a level or GCSE German 😅 I do love French though, it's such a difficult decision! Yeah it was a lovely day!
Hey! I'm looking to study the MRes for German with a focus on Middle High epic poetry, and I don't know who to ask for further details about if Royal Holloway is right for me and can provide sufficient support! Could someone please direct me 🙏🙏🙏 Thankyou!
Reply 9
Hi! Would like to apply for a zoology course and currently, RHUL is my first choice! Loved the campus when I visited in July this year and really excited for university.
Hi! I'm looking to apply for undergraduate Music next September!
lo im looking to apply for computer science next september
oh and is royal holloway a competitive university to get in to ???? is it hard to get in even if you have the grades

whats the likely hood of me getting in to royal holloway
Original post by atsushimurasak
oh and is royal holloway a competitive university to get in to ???? is it hard to get in even if you have the grades

whats the likely hood of me getting in to royal holloway

Hey Atsushimurasak,

It's great to hear you're interested in our Computer Science course. Our Admissions team will take a complete look at your application but if you meet the grade requirements you stand a good chance of being made an offer.

If you wanna chat about applying you can get in touch with our Admissions team on [email protected] .

Reply 14
Comparative literature and culture with international film, anyone?!!
Reply 15
Hi, I am wondering how difficult it is to get a place for Zoology? My predicted grades are BBBB for Biology, Business, Art & Design, and EPQ.
Looking to do computer science, RHULs great for my course, campus is great. How's sport at RH? Also how is nightlife here compared to being at a uni in the middle of a city such as liverpool? what are the good areas around Egham?
Original post by joisu.h
Hi, I am wondering how difficult it is to get a place for Zoology? My predicted grades are BBBB for Biology, Business, Art & Design, and EPQ.

Hey Joisu,

Our typical entry requirements for the BSc Zoology range from ABB-BBB. You must be studying Biology, and have at least 5 GCSEs at grade A*-C including English and Maths. Our Admissions Team considers each application on a case by case basis, however if you meet all of the requirements listed on the course page we would definitely welcome your application.

Original post by SwagMoneyBaller
Looking to do computer science, RHULs great for my course, campus is great. How's sport at RH? Also how is nightlife here compared to being at a uni in the middle of a city such as liverpool? what are the good areas around Egham?

Hey SwagMoneyBaller,

It's great to hear you're looking to do Computer Science. Our sports clubs and facilities are a really active part of student life at Royal Holloway. We have clubs ranging from American Football to Golf to Hockey to Ultimate Frisbee. You can check out the full list here. The great thing about a lot of our clubs is that membership is offered at various levels, so whether you're starting from scratch or super experienced you'll find the right level for you.

The same is true of our gym facilities - you can get a Bronze membership which allows you a limited membership for cheaper all the way up to Gold which offers more options and flexibility in your membership.

The Sports clubs and nightlife often go hand in hand. Many of the Sports and Societies you join will lead optional evening socials and trips into London or the local area. Every year there is the Colours Ball, which is a celebration of the achievements of the Clubs and Societies and offers awards for some of the most active members.

There are also loads of other things to do outside of Sports and Societies from nights in the Students' Union or the on campus bar, Medicine, as well as the newly refurbished Packhorse. Egham has a few other opportunities for nightlife, as does the local area such as Windsor and London.

In terms of the local area, Staines is a just one train stop away and offers shopping, cinema, and Thorpe Park. There's a train from Egham directly into London Waterloo Station as well as Reading, so there's quite a lot of options on things to do.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

I am thinking of studying maths at this uni, is the maths department any good. I do not have further maths level and am worried that the work will be too hard. Maths is my fav route subject though and i don't know what else i would do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending