The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I can't say I've ever heard of it. It must be pretty rare, and if so, well done :biggrin:

Are you already at the uni or are you in the position of being in Year 13 and having been given an offer?
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
what is this scholarship you talk of? Can i get one? oO
Reply 3
Is this the email you got?
Because I'm wondering how good you have to be.. I've played cricket at county level for a few years, but stopped during my A-levels as I had no social life with all my school work.
I know I'll definetly apply for one if I'm even of consideration

Dear Applicant

We are writing to you as you have applied to study a course at the University of Exeter.

This email is to draw your attention to Exeter’s high quality reputation and wholehearted commitment to delivering sporting excellence. It is not an offer, nor confirmation, of a place on your chosen course, this is dealt with by the university central admissions office who will inform applicants of the outcome of their application. Please do not respond to this email if you are have an admissions query.

The University of Exeter is one of the leading sporting institutions in the UK, consistently being ranked nationally within the top 10 sporting Universities. The University High Performance Programme and Sports Scholars Scheme play a key role in maintaining these high standards of achievement and this email is designed to underline their benefits, and highlight to highly talented sportsmen and women what Exeter has to offer.

Please note this email does not constitute an offer of a scholarship nor a place on the High Performance Programme. This is merely a tool to pass on the relevant information to those who may be interested or eligible.

Sports Scholarships are available for students of outstanding sporting ability who show evidence of achievement or potential at national level. Applicants will only be considered with these criteria in mind.

No special reduction in entry criteria is offered as part of the scholarship, nor does the offer of a scholarship carry with it an offer of a place. The Scholarship is offered purely for the pursuit of sporting excellence and not as a means of covering tuition /course fees.

Sports Scholarships may only be taken up by students who have been offered an award and who have gained entry to study at Exeter. Students will then commence their studies at the appropriate start date for their specific course.

AWARDS

There are a number of awards available ranging from a tailored package including sporting expenses up to £1000 per year. All scholars receive a full package of support, training and mentoring services.

FURTHER DETAILS

If you feel you may be eligible to join our High Performance Programme, or apply for a scholarship, please visit our website www.sport.ex.ac.uk and click on Performance Sport.

From here, you will find all the information you may require while can you also download a registration of interest form for the Scholarship Scheme.

We wish you luck with your application to Exeter and look forward to welcoming as many of you as possible to the University to help you fulfil your academic and sporting ambitions.

If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact me
Reply 4
Ditto, i got one of them. Everyone does when they apply.
I response to all questions I am in year 13 and have already received a course offer.

Nope, that was not the e-mail I received. The e-mail I got gave me a username n password in order to download an application form to complete. You also have to have been predicted 3 A's and obtain them and have person achievement in volunteering, leadership or entrepreneurship, arts or sports.

5k per a year is a lot of money so i'm hoping they have only offered it to 10 people, otherwise could face some tough competition!
Reply 6
You've got nothing to lose by applying.
Reply 7
Well good-luck.
Reply 8
Did you not read the OP? It's not a sports scholarship.
Reply 9
^ Whoops lmao, I only scanned it the first time I read it and instantly thought it was the same as my email.
Edited
Reply 10
Yup, I got an email too. I assume they invite more that 10 people to apply though.
Reply 11
bcfc-drinkuptheecider
I got an e-mail through saying I have been selected to apply for a Vice-Chancellor's Excellence Scholarship of £5000 per year. Done a bit of reading and only 10 people get these a year. Was just wondering how many people actually get offered the chance to apply or do they only offer it to 10 people? I'm quite surprised by this tbh!

Just got one today, and btw its not what you said. It's not a sports scholarship, just an "excellence" one.
Reply 12
Hey I received one today too, on the website the requirements to apply are;

Ten awards of £5,000 per year are available from October 2008 for students applying for any subject, who, in addition to academic excellence (normally the achievement or prediction of three A grades at A level or equivalent), demonstrate achievement and potential in, and continued commitment to, at least one of the following areas:

* volunteering
* leadership
* entrepreneurship
* exceptional talent in music, the arts or sport outside their field of study (ie a Drama student would not normally be eligible for a performing arts-based award or an Exercise and Sport Sciences student for a sports-based award)

I guess everyone who meets the criteria gets invited? *Shrug*
Looks like they are quite common then!
bcfc-drinkuptheecider
I got an e-mail through saying I have been selected to apply for a Vice-Chancellor's Excellence Scholarship of £5000 per year. Done a bit of reading and only 10 people get these a year. Was just wondering how many people actually get offered the chance to apply or do they only offer it to 10 people? I'm quite surprised by this tbh!

I got the same email. I don't think we should be flattered though, I think everyone gets an invitation to apply for it if they've received an offer. I read the application form and you have to have excelled in entrepreneurship or volunteer work or something and get AAA or something.
Howeeeverrr, I think you only get told about it if you're predicted AAA :biggrin:
Reply 15
I'm really struggling with what to say for my scholarship statement (was hoping that it would be the end of that kind of thing after I'd done my personal statement :frown:)...
Reply 16
Everyone who applied to exeter that I know has got that email... even my boyfriend who does no sport and no volunteering...
they send me it on a regular basis.. and I would apply but I don't think I'd get it.. I mean yeah I play football, help out at Brownies on a weekly basis and have done duke of edinburgh bronze award and sports leadership.. but lol I'm lazy basically :P
x
Reply 17
on the website under news it has details of people who have apparently won these awards... but it said the deadline for applications is this friday 29th feb? i was thinking of sending an application off on thurs, but is it pointless now? :s-smilie:
Are you sure its not from last year?
Reply 19
oooh it might be, what an idiot

it does say 'latest' as the column heading though...

Latest

Trending

Trending