The Student Room Group

What to wear at interview?

Im sorry for asking this question because theres always a thread dedicated to it. But, my interview is in 2 days time and I was set on my jeans 'n' jumper idea, being not to fussy about attire most of the time until someone suggested that it would send the wrong kind of message; that I don't want it enough. At first I thought it wasn't really important how I dress, the interviewers couldn't care less as long as I'm a strong candidate, but leading up to the interview my attire-related, laid back attitude is crumbling:frown:

What does everyone else think? (I know, another one of these threads!)

Scroll to see replies

I went for casual and friendly, t-shirt, jumper, brown trousers. The interviewers wore significantly casualer clothes than me, and were lounging into their sofas. It really isn't a job-type thing; these people aren't looking for professionals.
I wore a suit.
Reply 3
everyone for some reason wears a suit lol. my imperial intervewer even congratulated me for not going in with one.
Reply 4
Wear some good trousers instead of jeans, and maybe a good jumper, and you'll probably be fine. I wore a suit because I felt comfortable with it, but most of the other interviewees I met at Fitz didn't. Can't remember anyone wearing jeans though.
i personally didn't go as far as a suit... because i always feel really uncomfortble in them

i wore smart trousers, and a causual type shirt with no tie, then wore a smart coaty jacket thing over the top...

as long as you feel comfortable, and dont look scruffy, it should be fine
Reply 6
A suits fine, but what I find amusing is imagine if we were 2nd or 3rd years at Cambridge and we saw undergraduate applicants in their nice little suits waiting to be interviewed :smile: Probably not a very accurate picture but its funny lol.
Reply 7
I dressed quite smart. I wouldnt have felt right in just jeans in an interview. I did see quite a few people who looked quite scruffy but I supposwe they're not judging on clothes and they looked comfortable enough
Reply 8
lol im tempted to don converses accompanied with jeans and some kind of crazy t-shirt

(not forgetting a guitar so that I can play a solo as I enter in style)
Reply 9
Steve_34
lol im tempted to don converses accompanied with jeans and some kind of crazy t-shirt

(not forgetting a guitar so that I can play a solo as I enter in style)

Sounds like a fun plan, but seriously don't do it. It's unlikely that the interviewers value that kind of style :wink: .
edit: Unless you're applying for music, of course :wink: .
Reply 10
i went to my interviews with converses, pulled down trousers and a jumper (and one of those haircuts with sharp sideburns etc.)
Reply 11
Meh, unfortunately not. Unless they have a taste for the drugs, sex and rock 'n' roll attitude of the 80s..
CONVERSES?!?! How casual are we going for here?

I've just ironed my shirt and trousers. I've been told to wear a suit. And I do as I'm told.
Reply 13
I went in a suit.
As far as I know, most of the other medical sciences interviewees did too.
Reply 14
Seriously guys, it doesn't matter. I wore torn black jeans, old iron maiden t-shirt, chains, leather trenchcoat, facial piercings and huge new rock leather boots and the interviewers didn't bat an eyelid. They care about your academic performance and not your dress. Go as casual or as smart as you like, whatever you will feel most comfortable in and what will get the best performance on the day out of you.
Reply 15
Nichrome
Seriously guys, it doesn't matter. I wore torn black jeans, old iron maiden t-shirt, chains, leather trenchcoat, facial piercings and huge new rock leather boots and the interviewers didn't bat an eyelid. They care about your academic performance and not your dress.

Brilliant! :biggrin:
Reply 16
You can't go wrong with a suit, or at least something with similar smartness. Is that even a word?

If you go too casual and your interviewer is an old fussy Cambridge stereotype then, even if you're academically brilliant, you still will not create the winning first impression needed. Even if your interviewer isn't a stereotype, to see that you've made an effort, at least, will (if only subconsciously) show that you want to get in.

However, if you don't feel comfortable in one, try to wear something as smart as possible. I didn't wear a tie, because they make me uncomfortable.
Reply 17
Mr Cat Dog
You can't go wrong with a suit, or at least something with similar smartness. Is that even a word?

If you go too casual and your interviewer is an old fussy Cambridge stereotype then, even if you're academically brilliant, you still will not create the winning first impression needed. Even if your interviewer isn't a stereotype, to see that you've made an effort, at least, will (if only subconsciously) show that you want to get in.

However, if you don't feel comfortable in one, try to wear something as smart as possible. I didn't wear a tie, because they make me uncomfortable.

Personally, I don't think the 'old fussy Cambridge stereotypes' will care tbh since they're used to picking out the candidates with the most academic potential rather than judging by what they wear (think how long they've been interviewing for). But I do understand what you mean and its a fair point.
I wore a suit but with no tie. Felt comfortable talking to them like that as I felt it required a more formal dress code on my part.
I wore a sexy bright green jumper, shirt and slim fit chinos.

I felt sexy so I was extra-confident going to the interview. As long as you think you look good you'll exude that confidence to the interviewers.

Latest

Trending

Trending