The Student Room Group

Becoming an artist without studying it formally?

Ok, so I have just started a degree in chemistry, yet I realize this *might* not be what I want to do. As a child I did a lot of both visual and performing arts, and I had a lot of talent. Now I left it, but I want to get to it. My university has a pretty big arts society where I could do loads of work, but I would lack the formal training.

Chemistry is very visually oriented and I would definitely benefit from studying arts in my spare time. So it's a gain-gain relationship.

Do you think it is viable way to become an artist (that is if I realise it is my calling)?
Reply 1
I see where you are coming from, Im in the same situation but with something else. If you make the most of the opportunities you have and try and look into it and get more help and advice, anything is possible.
I think you should speak to someone that works in the art department.
Good luck.
Reply 2
Being an artist is something that is built into you. The only way to become an artist though, is to practise. Do your degree, and do the art. You can be an artist without formal training, it's whether or not you have the talent is what people are interested in. Maybe try and find an afternoon art class that runs once a week?
Reply 3
Next term I am joining the Oxford Art Movement, which is our university-run arts society. This should provide a place to do stuff like oil painting etc.
I will stick to my degree, yes I don't plan on doing something I might regret afterwards...
Thanks guys, I needed some ideas.
Reply 4
No.

If you want to become a professional artist go to art school.

If you want to make art/express yourself then do painting/whatever you do in your free time.

However if you want to finish your degree in science then go to art school you wouldn't be alone. Some artists have educational backgrounds in other fields than visual art (e.g Carsten Holler, Phil Collins, Anthony Gormley) but still attended art school afterward.

I didn't realise just how hard it would be to be an artist without studying for an art degree until I started my B.A (and it's not exactly easy if you do study art).
People only really begin to take you seriously in the art world if you have an BA, and moreso an MA, as my mum found out. Even then, getting recognised is more down to luck, being in the right place at the right time, knowing the right people, and having something unique to offer. Also helps if you're an eccentric character haha.

Good luck though, some people get 'discovered' by doing hardly anything...as with all the arts subjects, it's a tough ride, and you probably won't be able to afford to be a 'professional artist' when it comes down to it anyway, but at least with a degree in the area you can get jobs related to it.
Reply 6
There are many paths up the mountain but the view from the top is still the same.
Reply 7
There are many paths up the mountain but the view from the top is still the same.

also chemistry in art - sounds blooming amazing to me and really interesting to explore

Latest