The Student Room Group

why?

Just asking in general, why is there a decrease in Chemistry applicants?

I read that from 1995, nearly 4000 applicants applied but then by 1999, it was 3100 applicants. I expect its even lower now. Why is this so?

A degree in chemistry is really useful- it gives you routes to anywhere you can think of; even accountancy. So why is there a decline?
I reckon the rapid increase in arts courses over that period would have been a factor - I would say that for most people (well, most people I know, anyway) an arts degree would be more 'fun' than a science degree. It's not that Chem is any less important/useful IMHO - just that people's priorities have changed, and a huge proportion of people are more concerned with studying something they'll enjoy, rather than something which will get them somewhere in the long-run.
Reply 2
Also I reckon it has something to do with the way it is taught in secondary schools. The closest I ever came to bursting into tears in the middle of a lesson was in AS Chemistry.
Reply 3
blahbloo
Just asking in general, why is there a decrease in Chemistry applicants?

I read that from 1995, nearly 4000 applicants applied but then by 1999, it was 3100 applicants. I expect its even lower now. Why is this so?

A degree in chemistry is really useful- it gives you routes to anywhere you can think of; even accountancy. So why is there a decline?

Cause it sucks - The way they teach it is just SOOOO boring! It's like...."and then this acid reacts with this base, write that down children" *yawn*
Well Chemistry is said to be one of the hardest A level subjects. The fact few people get A's and B's in the subject means less and less decide to take it at degree level.
Its true though, everyone seems to be taking more of the 'softer' subjects like Media rather than going for the more hardcore science ones.
Reply 5
Joe555
Cause it sucks - The way they teach it is just SOOOO boring! It's like...."and then this acid reacts with this base, write that down children" *yawn*

I could say the same about Biology. :wink: In all honesty, it depends on the teacher you've got. I admit the lessons are boring but when Im doing my independent study, it clicks in my head and its just...awesome. :biggrin:

Anyhoo, I'm not too worried about the decline. Just means less competition for me whne I apply for jobs. :biggrin:
Reply 6
The fact that it's not promoted in secondary school. Some people see combined science courses of more use than separate ones, even though they're not at all. Also, schools have a limited capacity (especially with health and safety) to deliver chemistry in a way that would interest students, ie. through lab work.
blahbloo
I could say the same about Biology. :wink: In all honesty, it depends on the teacher you've got. I admit the lessons are boring but when Im doing my independent study, it clicks in my head and its just...awesome. :biggrin:

Anyhoo, I'm not too worried about the decline. Just means less competition for me whne I apply for jobs. :biggrin:

Are you kidding? Biology is awesome! I will never forget dissecting animal parts and flinging them at people, for as long as I live! :biggrin: And squirting yeast at people instead of monitoring its respiration. What fun!

I hate plant biology, though.. :s-smilie:
Only 3000 applicants for the whole of England and Wales?
Reply 9
Total Chemistry Total (All Subjects)
1999 3256 388691
2000 2966 389091
2001 2846 399645
2002 2623 401854
2003 2434 409968

So actually, less than 3000 students now for chemistry. : )
Reply 10
blahbloo
Total Chemistry Total (All Subjects)
1999 3256 388691
2000 2966 389091
2001 2846 399645
2002 2623 401854
2003 2434 409968

So actually, less than 3000 students now for chemistry. : )

Where are you quoting that from, out of interest?
Reply 12
rottcodd
Where are you quoting that from, out of interest?

Ditto, statistics can be highly biased sometimes as well! Be warned. Also it only goes up until 2003.....I find that slightly suspicious as that was almost 5 years back now!!
Reply 13
Ever though it must have been released quite a few years ago, not having been released recently? :P

Latest

Trending

Trending