The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Confused...!

Right. Edinburgh have just rejected me for Business Studies (N100) on the basis that I did not meet their academic requirements.
Frankly this puzzles me, I exceed their stated requirements Which are BBB. I already hold 2 B's and am predicted a further 2 A's in A-levels.
Do I have any grounds for appeal? If so what are the chances of reconsideration?
I'm truly gutted, this is my second time applying to Edinburgh and theres nothing more I want than to go there, I would gladly cash in my other 3 offers for one from there...! :frown:
do you have the gcse requirements? i seem to remember from when i applied 2 years ago that they require a C or above at gcse in a foreign language, for all courses. And obviously the same for Maths and English.

why did you get rejected last year? was it for the same reason? as if it was, then you aren't going to get in until you have the required entry stuff... if it is gcse, you could arrange take on a language gcse in your spare time and ask them to reconsider your application.

also... are your 2 Bs from before, and the 2 A predictions from this year? As I also recall that my offer said the grades had to have been achieved in the 2005-2006 examination year (the year I took my A2 exams), so if this stands for business, then you don't meet the academic requirements as you're only predicted AA for this year, which isn't 3 Alevels, so you can't meet a BBB offer. Harsh, but there we go.

Contact them and find out what you are lacking.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Many people who apply to Edinburgh also apply to Oxford or Cambridge, which means most applicants have predicted grades way over BBB (attained in one sitting and you have taken yours in two).
Edinburgh are supposed to be one of the fairest university when it comes to giving equal time to looking at applications so I cannot see any point in appealing.
Maybe you should ask for some feedback on the rejection...
Reply 3
Oxymoronic - Yes I was rejected last year on the basis of not meeting their minimum entry requirements - However I took my year out to ensure I was certain of meeting them (which I do...)
By March (when january module results come through) I should have ABB - AAB. I already hold BB and am doing an extra A-level, and resits to achieve the AAB set of grades. I exceed their stated offer in my predictions, that is a fact.

Mollymustard - I understand there are many fine applicants trying to get into Edinburgh, if they had emailed me stating my application didn't cut the mustard against some of the potential oxbridge candidates and I lost out due to intense competition - I would understand. But they said I did not meet their minimum entry requirements - which is factually incorrect. I meet the department/college/course requirements... It's bizarre.
Greg, I think you're showing a complete misunderstanding of how the university admissions system works, in Scotland at least. Because of the fact that Scottish students can obtain their Highers in fifth or sixth year, or in a combination of both, it is a requirement in Scottish universities that the admission requirements are met in one sitting- therefore you would have needed to get BBB last year in order to be able to rely on the minimum to gain entry. As you failed to do so, the admission requirements expected of you will have gone up considerably and, over the two years, it is likely that they would require something in the region of BBBBB, AABB or ABBB in order to get in. They have to do this in order to know that the people they're taking in are able to cope with the work, and with juggling a number of courses while still meeting the required grades. With all due respect, achieving two A levels a year just doesn't cut it. I'm sorry that you feel hard done by, but this is the policy in Scotland and the onus was on you from the outset to learn this.
Reply 5
Greg1863

By March (when january module results come through) I should have ABB - AAB. I already hold BB and am doing an extra A-level, and resits to achieve the AAB set of grades. I exceed their stated offer in my predictions, that is a fact.

But they said I did not meet their minimum entry requirements - which is factually incorrect. I meet the department/college/course requirements... It's bizarre.

Michaelnicholson88 is right.

As you didn't make the grades last year they would expect greater academic results this year i.e. BBBB. The department want someone applying over two exam diets with more than BBB.
And as pointed out, Edinburgh is vert competitive, most English applicants have ABB+ from the first sitting.

Sorry, good luck in whatever you pursue now.

Latest

Trending

Trending