The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Leprechaun

Also, let's not play any 'word tricks' here. You suggested that I "may not be good enough;" therefore, I tell you that I am 'good enough.'

Let's not play any word tricks. If you don't get in this year the only evidence available to you will tend to confirm the idea that you are not good enough. There will be no evidence that you are, except in your head.
Reply 41
Good bloke
Let's not play any word tricks. If you don't get in this year the only evidence available to you will tend to confirm the idea that you are not good enough. There will be no evidence that you are, except in your head.

I don't even see you point. The 'word trick' refers to 3320's interpretation of 'good enough. I suggest that you re-read the posts.

Of course this is all subjective. If you constantly REQUIRE evidences to confirm you of your own competence, then there must be a serious lack of self-confidence. On another point, is this arguement of yours even faintly related to ANYTHING?
Reply 42
Bumblebee3
:s-smilie: This is all crazy - at least wait until the answer comes in! It won't be long now! From the way you talk about your interview it sounds like you might have misunderstood the process - they are not looking for perfect people who get everything right, they just want to see how you think and reason things out. Also, applications for a subject like maths are far less subjective than the arts and they are trained to look for *potential*, not just right answers. I think you can rest assured that whatever decision they make will be the right one.

Sorry if this appears to be so abnormal, but I just wanted to see all the possibilities.
Leprechaun
I don't even see you point. The 'word trick' refers to 3320's interpretation of 'good enough. I suggest that you re-read the posts.

Of course this is all subjective. If you constantly REQUIRE evidences to confirm you of your own competence, then there must be a serious lack of self-confidence. On another point, is this arguement of yours even faintly related to ANYTHING?

You don't seem to realise that it is not the candidate's competence that is at issue. Virtually all Oxbrige candidates are very able indeed. The problem comes when judging whether you make the grade (i.e. are acceptable to the university). Your own opinion of this is utterly irrelevant - the only one that counts is that of the rejecting (or accepting) college.
Leprechaun
Sorry if this appears to be so abnormal, but I just wanted to see all the possibilities.

Actually it doesn't seem abnormal - lots of people go through the same thing, if that makes you feel any better. The issue is whether (if you are rejected) you would have a chance if you reapplied. This is something the interview feedback when it comes will be able to tell you. If you are rejected without being pooled, it could well indicate that you are not boarderline and there is a problem that could not be solved in a reapplication. If you are pooled, you could well stand a chance next year.

I still think you could be surprised though. In my experience the only ones who can know they're being rejected are the ones who cry all the way through or run out/clam up completely. You did not do this, and therefore have as good a chance as anyone else.
Reply 45
Good bloke
You don't seem to realise that it is not the candidate's competence that is at issue. Virtually all Oxbrige candidates are very able indeed. The problem comes when judging whether you make the grade (i.e. are acceptable to the university). Your own opinion of this is utterly irrelevant - the only one that counts is that of the rejecting (or accepting) college.

Of course competence is an issue. Nevertheless, the display or failure of, is the key to admission. Instead, I don't think grade is an issue for most, if not all, of the candidates.

Individual opinion insignificant? I beg to differ. It doesn't matter whether the college decides to accept or reject you. YOU are not determined by the opinion of another person, who may be in a good/bad/disgusting mood!
Reply 46
Bumblebee3
Actually it doesn't seem abnormal - lots of people go through the same thing, if that makes you feel any better. The issue is whether (if you are rejected) you would have a chance if you reapplied. This is something the interview feedback when it comes will be able to tell you. If you are rejected without being pooled, it could well indicate that you are not boarderline and there is a problem that could not be solved in a reapplication. If you are pooled, you could well stand a chance next year.

I still think you could be surprised though. In my experience the only ones who can know they're being rejected are the ones who cry all the way through or run out/clam up completely. You did not do this, and therefore have as good a chance as anyone else.

Thanks a lot Bulblebee3.

Although it is arguable that outright rejection would likely indicate incompetence, but I think other factors are in play as well. For example, I know a person who was admitted based on pretending to share a similar interest with the interviewer! Of course, such an action is utterly despicable and this person will not likely survive, but the point is that rejection/acceptance does not determine your own value. No matter the result, I am still who I am.

I thoroughly hope I will receive a pleasant surprise, but then again, there is never again harm in being a stoic realist. :smile:
Reply 47
Leprechaun
Although it is arguable that outright rejection would likely indicate incompetence, but I think other factors are in play as well. For example, I know a person who was admitted based on pretending to share a similar interest with the interviewer! Of course, such an action is utterly despicable and this person will not likely survive, but the point is that rejection/acceptance does not determine your own value. No matter the result, I am still who I am.

That person probably had the references, grades, PS and written work to back up his application. Unless the interviewer told you that himself then it is pure conjecture on your part (and not a small amount of bitterness too).
Reply 48
Leprechaun
Although it is arguable that outright rejection would likely indicate incompetence, but I think other factors are in play as well. For example, I know a person who was admitted based on pretending to share a similar interest with the interviewer!

I know 113 people who were admitted based on the fact they rocked the interview/written tests harder than the other applicants (a few of whom had failed to do so the year previously...)

On a more serious note, it's important to bear in mind that a rejection may not be so much to do with your failings as it is to do with the fact that someone else just did really REALLY well that day. So other factors may be at play, but it's not neccessarily corruption on Oxford's part. With that in mind, it may well be worth applying again, but admissions are always going to be hard to predict, and remember to leave yourself a 'plan b'.
Leprechaun
there is never again harm in being a stoic realist.

.. apart from the significantly higher risk of tortoises being dropped on your head.

DtS
Reply 50
That person probably had the references, grades, PS and written work to back up his application. Unless the interviewer told you that himself then it is pure conjecture on your part (and not a small amount of bitterness too).

Bitterness? I don't even know this person. IN FACT, this story was told to me by my counsellor, who advized me to take similar actions. According to her, the mock interview was disastrous, but, that applicant managed to fill in most of the time with a discussion regarding that interest.

I'm curious 3232, why do you end almost every post with a personal attack, psychoanalysis and/or declaration of superiority? Is this a typical Oxbridge symptom?
Reply 51
Mayfly
On a more serious note, it's important to bear in mind that a rejection may not be so much to do with your failings as it is to do with the fact that someone else just did really REALLY well that day. So other factors may be at play, but it's not neccessarily corruption on Oxford's part. With that in mind, it may well be worth applying again, but admissions are always going to be hard to predict, and remember to leave yourself a 'plan b'.

Urrr...did I come through as implying corruption at Oxbridge? Because if I did, that was completely coincidental.
Reply 52
Leprechaun
Bitterness? I don't even know this person. IN FACT, this story was told to me by my counsellor, who advized me to take similar actions. According to her, the mock interview was disastrous, but, that applicant managed to fill in most of the time with a discussion regarding that interest.

I'm curious 3232, why do you end almost every post with a personal attack, psychoanalysis and/or declaration of superiority? Is this a typical Oxbridge symptom?

Oh come on, re-read your own language in the post. If you know nothing about that person apart from what a careers counsellor has said why do you feel you're in a position to say what they did was even what that counsellor has said, or make a moralistic judgement of that person?

As for that last comment, I'd advise looking towards yourself. The fact you've said that this person's actions were 'utterly despicable' and that they will 'likely not survive' based on the account of a careers counsellor, who has absolutely no idea what led to that person getting an offer, is the problem. Your language reeks of bitterness, it's not that hard to see. And, incidently, your constant sensitivity to people from 'Oxbridge' seems to imply an inferiority complex. How's that for psychoanalysis?
Reply 53
Oh come on, re-read your own language in the post. If you know nothing about that person apart from what a careers counsellor has said why do you feel you're in a position to say what they did was even what that counsellor has said, or make a moralistic judgement of that person?

As for that last comment, I'd advise looking towards yourself. The fact you've said that this person's actions were 'utterly despicable' and that they will 'likely not survive' based on the account of a careers counsellor, who has absolutely no idea what led to that person getting an offer, is the problem. Your language reeks of bitterness, it's not that hard to see. And, incidently, your constant sensitivity to people from 'Oxbridge' seems to imply an inferiority complex. How's that for psychoanalysis?

You make me truly speechless. Prior to joining TSR, I had a notion of arrogance, but all falls short when compared to you. I examined your posts, and please allow me to present a psychoanalysis for you as well.

When replying to anyone in Oxbridge, your attitude shifts, displaying common human courtesy, and usually concedes to his/her point. Nonetheless, every time an applicant posts a comment, you immediately put on a condescending tone in conjunction with pure vileness. Thus, the conclusion is made in this case that you have been in a lack of confidence prior to entering Oxbridge. However, now with something to support your ego, you feel that you have earned the right to compensate for that absence prior, with extreme pretension. Furthermore, another interesting trend surfaces whist examining your posts. It seems that you always need to be the 'special' one, be it the application process, the reaction to the letter or simply the state of mind while waiting for the decision. You truly remind me of Himmelstoss in "All Quiet on the Wester Front."

Another demonstration of your arrogance is the fact that 'you' are able to decide whether 'I' have met a person. Apparently, there is even a necessity to lie on an online forum. Furthermore, I am able to gather enough information simply from my counsellor alone. Though it is quite interesting that you possess the knowledge in regards to how much knowledge I have gathered. On another point, are you saying that it is 'honourable' and 'righteous' for someone to pretend an interests in order to be admitted? If this is your interpretation of integrity, then I must concede that further arguement is futile, as we clearly have different systems of value and philosophies.

Lastly, in response to your mentioning of 'sensitivity,' I would like to bring in a little backgrond information for myself. I lived in China most of my childhood, after which I resided in Canada. Therefore, if I ever was overwhadowed by any university, it will be the University of Beijing, Tsinghua University, or Harvard/Princeton/Yale/MIT/Stanford.

In more colloquial terms. You are a jerk. End of story.

P.S. Though disappointing, 3232 will not taint my impression of Oxbridge in general, as there are decent people equally (for example, MCRen). Indeed, 3232 should only be the exception, not the rule.
Reply 54
truly classic. it even has spurious literary references.

i also suspected English was your second language.
Reply 55
lol_wut

i also suspected English was your second language.

Wrong guess, it is my third.
Reply 56
Anyhow, this is becoming ridiculous. I have my questions answered and I appreciate the help from everyone.

If 3232 or anyone else would like to keep on arguing, we can do it through PM. But I won't reply any more posts in this thread.

Also, please ignore my long reply. I was a little tired. Still, though, I don't wish to delete it since it took time just to write that.
Leprechaun
It doesn't matter whether the college decides to accept or reject you. YOU are not determined by the opinion of another person, who may be in a good/bad/disgusting mood!

I think, for most people, it does matter if the college decides to reject you. I don't understand your final sentence at all.
Here's some common sense: :eek:

1. Culture clash. Many Oxbridge students/applicants react badly to undisguised displays of narcissism, and prefer a 'brave face' approach.

2. Many people here have got through the process and been offered places. Questioning the system is perceived as questioning them.

3. Most importantly, this kind of pointless rhetoric would get anyone crucified at Oxbridge.
Leprechaun, this is enough. You opened a large number of pointless threads before interviews and asking similar questions in all of them. Now, everyone who has applied this year has been going through the same process as you have, yet you feel you must stand out. On TSR at least. Has it ever occurred to you that you are not alone in feeling your interview went wrong and thinks about reapplying? why do you have to make such a fuss about it? sit down, take a deep breath, take a sheet of paper and do a pro and cons list of whatever you plan to do. it will be more helpful than starting fights on TSR. 3232 might sound a little aggresive sometimes, but he makes some good points. Please consider them before attavking him.
Furthermore, I find it bewildering how absolutely sure you are that you are
'good enough'. Newsflash...only the ppl who interviewed you can really say that. Ig you'll get in, it means they weren't too upset that you didn't revise maths and saw potential in you. If you don't get in, please accept that, for them you weren't good enough. What will happen if next year you'll be asked again a topic you didn't revise? Or for some reason, you mess up the interview again? There is nothing wrong with reapplying (in fact, i'm thinking of doing this myself), it's your attitude that scares me.
You are tottaly convinced that you are good enough. Please let the ppl capable of deciding it, whether you are or not.

This post was under no circumstances meant to sound as if i'm attacking you. i'm not.

Latest

Trending

Trending