The Student Room Group

Which College?????????

I am going to apply to cam this year for med. I was just wondering which sort of college i should be applying as i am adament i will make a closed application after people's advice. I was thinking of Trinity or Kings but only coz they r right in centre of town and are quite large but i know that's a stupid reason. I would preferably like a mixed college and one that accepts a greater percentage of students from state schools.

Please help me make up my mind guys and gals!!!!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
King's actually isn't that big - the three biggest colleges are Trinity, John's and Caius, which are all town centre ones too. All the colleges except Newnham and New Hall are mixed, so that's no problem for you. King's has the highest percentage of state school students, and I think Churchill also is quite high up, but is not so close to the town centre. I would suggest the alternative prospectus, but those figures are out of date now.
Reply 2
Helenia
I would suggest the alternative prospectus, but those figures are out of date now.

Actually, the AP has just been republished (and is now available online) so the stats in there should be correct as of the 03/04 academic year.
Reply 3
jcw
Actually, the AP has just been republished (and is now available online) so the stats in there should be correct as of the 03/04 academic year.

Oooh, really? Where? The old one was looking rather out of date.
Adil Bhai
I am going to apply to cam this year for med. I was just wondering which sort of college i should be applying as i am adament i will make a closed application after people's advice. I was thinking of Trinity or Kings but only coz they r right in centre of town and are quite large but i know that's a stupid reason. I would preferably like a mixed college and one that accepts a greater percentage of students from state schools.

I don't think you will have to worry much about the intake of state school-people. Judging from the figures in the alternative prospectus, the differences aren't usually that great.
Reply 6
Thanks people!!!!!
Reply 7
Adil Bhai

King's!! Then you would join me doing medicine there next year :cool: .
Reply 8
Hopefully if i get in :smile: . I presume you have taken a gap year then?
Reply 9
Adil Bhai
Hopefully if i get in :smile: . I presume you have taken a gap year then?

Yes, I applied for entry in 2005. Regretting that now though...I am extremely jealous of all the people who are buggering off to uni now :rolleyes: .
Reply 10
If you want one that's good for state school applicants go to Kings. I love being at Trinity but it's hardly what you'd call 'egalitarian'.
Reply 11
visesh
Yes, I applied for entry in 2005. Regretting that now though...I am extremely jealous of all the people who are buggering off to uni now :rolleyes: .

what are you doing in your gap year?

if you want a colege that encourages state school applications, kings would be good. my careers teacher told us all to steer clear of trinity as not only is the applicant: place ratio reeeally bad, there's a lot of private school applicants as well
Reply 12
priya
what are you doing in your gap year?

if you want a colege that encourages state school applications, kings would be good. my careers teacher told us all to steer clear of trinity as not only is the applicant: place ratio reeeally bad, there's a lot of private school applicants as well

But unless more state school students apply there, there will always be an excess of private schoolers! :rolleyes: (And I don't think that Trinity's actual ratio is that bad compared with other colleges)
Reply 13
Obviously I always vote Trinity :cool: :wink:
Reply 14
Adil, Caius college takes the most medics and is also seen as the hardest college to get into for medicine, although I'm not in a position to know whether that is fact or fallacy. It's also very central, although you may have to spend your second year further out, as I understand it.

The only thing that bothers me is that their food is pretty poor. I'm not sure whether they favour private schools or state schools - in theory, none of the colleges show this kind of bias any more, and it's more a case of who tends to apply there. Having said that, my teachers did urge me not to apply to Kings because of its supposed state school bias. (But what do they know?)

KHL is a Caius medic, so talk to him if you want to know more about it.

EDIT: I'm a St John's medic by the way.
Reply 15
sbailey
Adil, Caius college takes the most medics and is also seen as the hardest college to get into for medicine, although I'm not in a position to know whether that is fact or fallacy. It's also very central, although you may have to spend your second year further out, as I understand it.

Oooh, you're back! Hello :smile:

Caius is very hard to get into - it has the most places (25) but is über-competitive (as is everywhere, but even more so). A "friend" :redface: of mine applied the same year as I did, with similar GCSEs to me and an extra A at AS, and got rejected. He did mess up the MVAT, but I was surprised (not to say disappointed) that he didn't even get pooled.

On the other hand, they do get very good results - but they're not in the everyone-passing-everything club :tongue: (so far, only Clare and Churchill are :biggrin:)
Reply 16
Helenia
Oooh, you're back! Hello :smile:

Caius is very hard to get into - it has the most places (25) but is über-competitive (as is everywhere, but even more so). A "friend" :redface: of mine applied the same year as I did, with similar GCSEs to me and an extra A at AS, and got rejected. He did mess up the MVAT, but I was surprised (not to say disappointed) that he didn't even get pooled.

On the other hand, they do get very good results - but they're not in the everyone-passing-everything club :tongue: (so far, only Clare and Churchill are :biggrin:)

Hi Helenia! Been back for about a week now, but haven't been frequenting the UKL boards. :smile:

The weird thing is that Caius often has some of the best medics in the year, if not THE best, but it also has people from the whole spectrum, even people who fail their exams (granted, very few!).

Last year, it was Christs' who had the best results, with 80% firsts (average across the university: 20%). I can never make up my mind about what makes Caius (or Christs last year) medics so successful. Is it better students? Better supervisors? Or maybe a "work, work, work" atmosphere? Am I just thinking about this too much? :confused:

EDIT: Before I give anyone a bad impression of ether place, I should say that I don't know ANY of the Christs medics, and the 3 Caius medics I know seem really normal (in a good way).
Reply 17
sbailey
The weird thing is that Caius often has some of the best medics in the year, if not THE best, but it also has people from the whole spectrum, even people who fail their exams (granted, very few!).

Last year, it was Christs' who had the best results, with 80% firsts (average across the university: 20%). I can never make up my mind about what makes Caius (or Christs last year) medics so successful. Is it better students? Better supervisors? Or maybe a "work, work, work" atmosphere? Am I just thinking about this too much? :confused:

Perhaps they've found that arming the supervisors with whips, or handing out food based on performance...is having an effect!? :eek: cos, I get the general impression that they work hard! :wink:
Reply 18
MadLy
Perhaps they've found that arming the supervisors with whips, or handing out food based on performance...is having an effect!? :eek: cos, I get the general impression that they work hard! :wink:

I wish KHL were here, I want to know whether it's true they had 5 essays a week :tongue:
Reply 19
sbailey
Hi Helenia! Been back for about a week now, but haven't been frequenting the UKL boards. :smile:

Cool. How was Dubai/NZ? *not jealous at all :tongue:*

sbailey

Hmmm, I don't really know either. It's possibly a combination. I have the same MIMS supervisor as the Christ's students and I got a 3rd on my tripos paper :redface: (2:1 overall). I guess that with Christ's rep, really academic people apply there - I didn't want to because I'm not a really hard worker (and because of the typewriter :wink:) but other people might be attracted to it. I also think the work ethos at the college is much stronger than that at Clare, although we're hardly poor academically. Besides - you're the one with the stunning results - you should know!

I do know a couple of Christ's medics a little and they seem ok, but much more into their work than I was. They still managed to have girlfriends though, which I thought rather unfair :rolleyes:

MadLy - I don't wish to hear about supervisors and whips in the same sentence!

Latest

Trending

Trending