The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

***Petition to Close all Grammars *sign here

Scroll to see replies

ssk2
I'm waiting Yawn.. Please, what're your personal reasons for your abhorrence of grammar schools?

lol I don't mind hanging around for this one. :p:
Reply 21
ssk2
Eughh.... Yawn, give it a rest. I went to a grammar, am not loaded with cash, enjoyed my education and have a healthy relationship with my peers who did not go to said grammar school.

Question; why do you have this chip on your shoulder? Why are you so ardently anti-grammar? Don't give us general reasons, I want YOUR thoughts.

Sorry, I'm a little bit confused. Admittedly, I haven't read the first link, but I haven't seen anyone express any views in this thread which could be deemed "ardently anti-grammar". Who exactly is this question aimed at?

(I'm probably just missing something :smile: )
Reply 22
Grammar schools are a good thing it allows people who want to learn to get a better education as opposed to going to a moronic school such as St Edmunds school in Dover in which most can not count to ten, and 97% cannot spell their first name with 65% not knowing their surname.

The schools pass rate is 3% (5 A to Cs) this is mainly due to the people not wanting to learn where as at a grammar school people go their because they are gifted and want to learn, therefore i would suggest that the imbeciles that run this country should build more not get rid of them.
Reply 23
Grammar schools are great. Sure they can be abused by rich, pushy parents but I would say that for those kids that end up getting an education that normally only private schools can give they are a godsend.
yawn
Grammar school results hinge on one factor alone...intake, intake, intake.

You put a load of kids whose performance in within the top quartile of the ability range and what do you get?

Good job then that the 11+ in NI had its last outing this year and ceases from September, 2008.

For the reasons why, see the research that was carried out prior to the decision being made.

Grammar schools wouldn't have such a negative impact if something was done at the bottom too, i.e schools tailored to help struggling pupils. That asides, would you also support a ban on private schoolsn to go along with the grammar schools one. (I will probably sign the petition when it gets going).
Reply 25
Sorry, I'm a little bit confused. Admittedly, I haven't read the first link, but I haven't seen anyone express any views in this thread which could be deemed "ardently anti-grammar". Who exactly is this question aimed at?

Its aimed at Yawn...

lol I don't mind hanging around for this one.

I doubt its gonna happen...
Reply 26
ssk2
I'm waiting Yawn.. Please, what're your personal reasons for your abhorrence of grammar schools?

For me it was a 'Damascene' moment.

I had never given a moment's thought to the question of whether an academically selective system was a good idea generally since I, like a lot of people here didn't really question it but rather just blindly accepted it was good.

It was during a class observation when I saw a young child of 10 put up his hand and say to the teacher "Sir, you think most of us here are rubbish because you are spending more time with those who are going to take the 11+ than us."

For a child of 10 to feel such an emotion and have the courage to articulate it to his teacher made me re-examine my attitudes to the 11+.

And after a lot of thought and research I became a convert to the cause of all-ability schools with setting for subjects so as children of comparable ability are taught within the same classes for different subjects, depending on their aptitude for those subjects...but with mixed classes for form grouping.

I have been totally frank and open on this post...I do not expect any ad homs as a result...I expect respect for my views even if they differ from the views of others.
Reply 27
ssk2
Its aimed at Yawn...

I doubt its gonna happen...

Sorry to disappoint you ssk2. Now, lets have some openess from yourself.
yawn
Grammar school results hinge on one factor alone...intake, intake, intake.

You put a load of kids whose performance in within the top quartile of the ability range and what do you get?

Good job then that the 11+ in NI had its last outing this year and ceases from September, 2008.

For the reasons why, see the research that was carried out prior to the decision being made.

haha, the 11+ is fine, 45% get an A, and generally grammar schools accept B1 as well thus the intake includes top 50%, thus not that academically confining.

The difference is that in a grammar school, you are in a class with equal abilities, thus the pace is moving at one where you don't get bored.

The main reason for the abolishment of the 11+ is because apparently it is bad for the kids to be classed as being less worthwhile at the age of 11.
I like my Grammar school, thank you very much.
yawn
For me it was a 'Damascene' moment.

I had never given a moment's thought to the question of whether an academically selective system was a good idea generally since I, like a lot of people here didn't really question it but rather just blindly accepted it was good.

It was during a class observation when I saw a young child of 10 put up his hand and say to the teacher "Sir, you think most of us here are rubbish because you are spending more time with those who are going to take the 11+ than us."

For a child of 10 to feel such an emotion and have the courage to articulate it to his teacher made me re-examine my attitudes to the 11+.

And after a lot of thought and research I became a convert to the cause of all-ability schools with setting for subjects so as children of comparable ability are taught within the same classes for different subjects, depending on their aptitude for those subjects...but with mixed classes for form grouping.

I have been totally frank and open on this post...I do not expect any ad homs as a result...I expect respect for my views even if they differ from the views of others.

Children/ parents can choose whether they want to do the 11+, not teacher's fault. thus this teacher is preparing those who intend to do 11+ to give them the opportunity.
Signed the pro-grammar school one. People are not the same, you cannot treat them the same, and that means you must educate them differently. Grammar schools for the high achievers, comprehensives for the average Joe, and St. Brutus's Secure Center for Incurably Criminal Boys for... well....
Reply 32
I couldn't have got a better education from any comprehensive...

Therefore, grammars are better.
Reply 33
matty600
Grammar schools are a good thing it allows people who want to learn to get a better education as opposed to going to a moronic school such as St Edmunds school in Dover in which most can not count to ten, and 97% cannot spell their first name with 65% not knowing their surname.

The schools pass rate is 3% (5 A to Cs) this is mainly due to the people not wanting to learn where as at a grammar school people go their because they are gifted and want to learn, therefore i would suggest that the imbeciles that run this country should build more not get rid of them.

You evidence the polarity between results in a wholly selective LEA where those grammars 'cream off' up to the top 30% of students and leave the lowest 25% in secondary moderns.

Did you know that Kent has the highest number of failing schools in any LEA outside of Inner London?

Did you know that Kent's SAT results published last week leave Kent placed at 123 out of 149 LEA's

That is what wholly selective LEA's do.
yawn
I expect respect for my views even if they differ from the views of others.

As long as you respect others in this way then that's ok.

Shouldn't more be done for those at the bottom of the barrel in the education system, like give those who don't want to learn reasons why they should, and more opportunities of education and qualifications to prisoners so they are less likely to re-offend?
I think there are more important issues to be solved first within the education before an ad hoc idea like this is followed.
Reply 35
Where were all you grammar school champions when we were having the debate about petitioning for more grammars?

You are like lice coming out of the woodwork now, when your own interests are threatened. :biggrin:
westhamfan
I couldn't have got a better education from any comprehensive...

Therefore, grammars are better.

The idea is that by removing grammar schools you would make comprehensive students truely comprehensive, and therefore a whole lot better for masses, at the possible expense of a small minority.
I'd sign this but,

1) you have to enter all your info, then go on your e-mail and click on the link etc.
2) only one other person has - so it says..
yawn

You are like lice coming out of the woodwork now, when your own interests are threatened. :biggrin:

From my brief look at your previous posts, this seems your general consensus for posting.
Erm, no. In retrospect I would love to have gone to a grammar school.

The disruption that "unstreamed" classes full of morons who really not only want to be somewhere else, but to ruin it for others, has caused to mine and many people I know's education is undeniable.

Latest

Trending

Trending